The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Well, Christina, lets be honest. After I start editing, I think I'll lose a few hundred words, they'll either be replaced or condemned to pixelated dissolution.
Rather than shred the entire manuscript, can you not attempt a bionic man? Scrap the parts that aren't salvageable, and reattach the rest with some well written strokes of literary genius, sort of like Websters Glue instead of Elmers?
And that is a LOT of hand written pages. WOW.

I was trying to reach a final word count of over 120,000 words, but no more than 130,000 words on the word processor, and since I didn't know approximately how many words each handwritten page has, I was trying to make sure to get as many words as possible in the end of it all.

You're right. I feel like I accidentally made the second part of the manuscript unrelated to the first, so I'm going to type it up in the word processor and see how many words it'll be in the end, although that particular manuscript is finished and I can't add more to it, so if it comes out to be 60-70,000 words, great. If it's 50,000 words, I'll just submit it to NaNo WriMo. :)

Thanks for the advice. I will take it.
Chris.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was trying to reach a final word count of over 120,000 words, but no more than 130,000 words on the word processor, and since I didn't know approximately how many words each handwritten page has, I was trying to make sure to get as many words as possible in the end of it all.

You're right. I feel like I accidentally made the second part of the manuscript unrelated to the first, so I'm going to type it up in the word processor and see how many words it'll be in the end, although that particular manuscript is finished and I can't add more to it, so if it comes out to be 60-70,000 words, great. If it's 50,000 words, I'll just submit it to NaNo WriMo. :)

Thanks for the advice. I will take it.
Chris.

I hate seeing stories just obliterated. I realize there are times where they should be done so, but most times it appears to be more a frustration reaction that valid.
As for word count? Check your counter every page as you enter a sheet, divide total number of words by, say, five, if you do this for five pages, that will give you an average word count, multiply that by your pages, you should be within 5% of the total word count of the handwritten pages.
And good luck!! Hopefully you can lean back and collect royalties on it soon.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I hate seeing stories just obliterated. I realize there are times where they should be done so, but most times it appears to be more a frustration reaction that valid.
As for word count? Check your counter every page as you enter a sheet, divide total number of words by, say, five, if you do this for five pages, that will give you an average word count, multiply that by your pages, you should be within 5% of the total word count of the handwritten pages.
And good luck!! Hopefully you can lean back and collect royalties on it soon.

Thank you for your amazing support! I bookmarked this page to be able to remember that formula and use it when I start typing up my now two handwritten manuscripts. I hope you collect royalties on your writing soon, too. :)

Boy, hopefully we can all be doing that soon.

Exactly.

Current total Word count: 93,330/120,000 words. :)

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Boy, hopefully we can all be doing that soon.

Oh, that is definitely for everyone. I am now at about 16,000 words, and realizing that the first edit is going to take a substantial bit of time.
It's really turning into a patchwork, with scenes that I realize belong elsewhere, and more expansion in other areas.
I really like the characters so far, as I'm taking different creatures that we've all heard of and applying some creative license to them. While on the surface they look vaguely similar to the beings we've all heard of, I'm simply applying my perception of them. Hopefully, they'll be unique enough to interest readers.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Okay, I've been looking and looking at this thread and thinking, "I should join in and do that . . ." I hope it's okay but I'm modifying the rules ever so slightly to fit in with my lifestyle. I know you guys probably don't care ;) but I'm going to write them out so *I* remember to follow them:

1) I have a bunch of little caveats where I can't follow this rule, but I will adhere to it before doing anything unnecessary on the Internet at home (looking up blogs, checking webcomics, surfing to AW . . .). Which is, like, 98 percent of my surfing. :D

2) I'm not going to count the unrelated book that is in final beta, because when it comes back I WILL take a break from this one to finish the proofing and get it out there. :) And I'm also going to allow myself to write anywhere in my series timeline, because I find it helpful and a lot of things get moved around. But otherwise, YES.

3) 1,000 words/day on the days I'm not working, anywhere in the series, and outlining counts (because I am the worst at doing that and need to encourage myself). Or: editing a chapter of the first book in the series, which is in editing. On days I'm working I usually have anywhere from 12- to 20-hour work days and no computer access . . . and I can't really predict what it'll be . . . so I'll say that I'll commit to writing something on those days, even if it's just a word or two or a few ideas jotted in longhand. And if I have an easy work day I'll still strive for the 1,000. That'll work for me, I think!

4)
Working title: Half-Life, the second book of the Russell's Attic series
Word count: 34,413
Goal: 100,000-ish, or whatever it takes to finish, by June
Updates: Already met 1,000 today! Woohoo!

::bites nails:: I hope I did this right and that the modifications are okay . . . looking forward to joining in! :D

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Oh, that is definitely for everyone. I am now at about 16,000 words, and realizing that the first edit is going to take a substantial bit of time.
It's really turning into a patchwork, with scenes that I realize belong elsewhere, and more expansion in other areas.
I really like the characters so far, as I'm taking different creatures that we've all heard of and applying some creative license to them. While on the surface they look vaguely similar to the beings we've all heard of, I'm simply applying my perception of them. Hopefully, they'll be unique enough to interest readers.

From 8k yesterday to 12k yesterday and now 16k. WOW, you are unstoppable when you really sit down and write! Good job.

Okay, I've been looking and looking at this thread and thinking, "I should join in and do that . . ." I hope it's okay but I'm modifying the rules ever so slightly to fit in with my lifestyle. I know you guys probably don't care ;) but I'm going to write them out so *I* remember to follow them:

1) I have a bunch of little caveats where I can't follow this rule, but I will adhere to it before doing anything unnecessary on the Internet at home (looking up blogs, checking webcomics, surfing to AW . . .). Which is, like, 98 percent of my surfing. :D

2) I'm not going to count the unrelated book that is in final beta, because when it comes back I WILL take a break from this one to finish the proofing and get it out there. :) And I'm also going to allow myself to write anywhere in my series timeline, because I find it helpful and a lot of things get moved around. But otherwise, YES.

3) 1,000 words/day on the days I'm not working, anywhere in the series, and outlining counts (because I am the worst at doing that and need to encourage myself). Or: editing a chapter of the first book in the series, which is in editing. On days I'm working I usually have anywhere from 12- to 20-hour work days and no computer access . . . and I can't really predict what it'll be . . . so I'll say that I'll commit to writing something on those days, even if it's just a word or two or a few ideas jotted in longhand. And if I have an easy work day I'll still strive for the 1,000. That'll work for me, I think!

4)
Working title: Half-Life, the second book of the Russell's Attic series
Word count: 34,413
Goal: 100,000-ish, or whatever it takes to finish, by June
Updates: Already met 1,000 today! Woohoo!

::bites nails:: I hope I did this right and that the modifications are okay . . . looking forward to joining in! :D

Well, it's Dec. 30 already, and in 15 days, since Dec. 15, I just reached 96,000 words! :) Yay! I hope you reach your goal! :) I'm almost at the climax. I'm at 96,000/120,000 words. :)

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Well, it's Dec. 30 already, and in 15 days, since Dec. 15, I just reached 96,000 words! :) Yay! I hope you reach your goal! :) I'm almost at the climax. I'm at 96,000/120,000 words. :)

Congratulations Christina!! What a good feeling!!! I'd add a clapping smiley if I knew how (note to self, figure out how if I'm going to be participating in this thread).

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations Christina!! What a good feeling!!! I'd add a clapping smiley if I knew how (note to self, figure out how if I'm going to be participating in this thread).

I just realized that I did 8,000 words in one day in the same WIP instead of the usual 6,000. Yesterday I tried to get to 90,000 words but I couldn't, I mean Friday--I keep forgetting it's Sunday already, 1:07 AM EST--and I just had to stop at 88,000 words because I was too tired, but yesterday, Saturday, I did 8,000 words. I got from 88,000 to 96,000, so it feels twice as good, because that's the most words I can do but I usually do that in 2 different WIP's, 6,000 on one and 2,000 on the other.

Christina.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Can I join? (I'm going to post my bits here anyway ;))

I'm working on a bit of mainstream fiction that may spill over into women's-fiction-with-literary-themes. The working title is 'Clementine's Garden'.

My current word count is only ~5000; my goal is 80,000. I'm setting myself a realistic daily goal of 300 words, in the hope that I'll mostly go over but won't beat myself up on the days when I only manage a couple of paragraphs. I'm currently doing a 10 month first draft course, so in keeping with that my goal date is September 2013 (at 300 words a day that should bring me to around 90,000 words).

You are all terribly inspiring :D

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Anna.
As I've said before we all have to start somewhere, we cant write a book without starting at page 1.

I like realism & achievability. :)

We'll do our best to keep you on track :)

Good luck and see you arond.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
For those new to the challenge, don't think of them as rules. Think of them as guidelines. That's from some comedy or something.

Anyway, I've found this thread to be a place to gather with updates on your progress and get support from others who are posting. It's a two way street, and I find many times that I don't feel like writing, but I come in here and see others' progress, and then I feel like writing. (Ok, that was really bad sentence structured for a wannabe writer, but you get my point...hopefully.)

Good luck! :D

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Great way to draw them in, David. "Hey, no pressure."

On an unrelated note, please make sure the pitchforks are sharp and there's plenty of tinder to make torches.

Make the torches? Errr...I just bought the mob sized pack of duraflame six hour torches with extra scorching magnesium tips. Should I send them back since you would rather turn them into a craft project?

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Jesus, what have I done?! :D

Didn't you know this was the pixelated loony bin? We can go from bubblegum and lollipops to baseball bats and chainsaws faster than most computers processors can even begin an action. Here. Hold this umbrella. It could get messy.

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

Went on a mini-vacation with the family for these past 2 days and spent all day today cleaning and unpacking boxes.

Welcome to all the new members!! This is a great thread to get motivated to write, and I hope you all manage to make your goals!

I think I saw a post from Kawaii saying they finished? If so, CONGRATS KT! And ah-mazing job as usual Christina. ;) And you're doing great as well French Maiden!

I haven't had the time to write these past two days, but I'm sitting down to write today. Hopefully I can get at least 500 words out.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Almost there, 100,700 total words out of the intended total of 102,000 for today. :)

I'll come back and make the big official announcement...and update my ticker. :)

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks AJ, I only wrote 150 words yesterday, not even worth posting about really - not that I'm unhappy with it, words are words no matter the quantity.
I'm going to sit in front of the A/C tonight with my laptop and see if that'll help me pump out something half decent.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Well, time to finish for the night. If I were to sit down and actually just write rather than browse the web at times, I might make still more progress, but tomorrow I have to be out of the office for most of the day, so I end tonight with 21,513 words.

I have no clue how those little ticker thingies work.

Of course, I'm quite sure when I finally apply some polish to the writing I'll wind up knocking quite a lot of those words off the total.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Official final word count for today: total words for the manuscript: 101,490 words. I would write the other 410 words, but i am super tired. It's 12:56 AM EST and I have to get up at 7:00 AM tomorrow to get my grandma ready for daycare. I'm going to sleep for 6 hours. Gah. Good thing I'm able to nap in the morning around 9-11 AM or in the afternoon the next day.

See you guys later. Good job, all of you!!

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Thanks AJ, I only wrote 150 words yesterday, not even worth posting about really - not that I'm unhappy with it, words are words no matter the quantity.

You worked on it, though! Sometimes that's half the battle! And 150 words adds up . . .

I end tonight with 21,513 words.
[...]
Of course, I'm quite sure when I finally apply some polish to the writing I'll wind up knocking quite a lot of those words off the total.

Congrats benluby! I know what you mean about editing; sometimes I feel so proud about writing a whole mess of words and then I cut the whole scene, aaa! It doesn't feel like progress, but it still is, right? :D

Official final word count for today: total words for the manuscript: 101,490 words. I would write the other 410 words, but i am super tired.

YEAH Christina congrats, that's amazing!!!

My progress:

Just hit my 1,000 words for today with only an hour to go till midnight. And let me tell you, I wouldn't have done it without knowing I wanted to go to this thread and post that I'd done it, so it's already working! Thanks y'all!

Title: Half-Life, second book of the Russell's Attic series
Current word count: 36,916/100,000-ish
Goal: 100,000 (or whatever it takes to finish) by June

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
You worked on it, though! Sometimes that's half the battle! And 150 words adds up . . .

My progress:

Just hit my 1,000 words for today with only an hour to go till midnight. And let me tell you, I wouldn't have done it without knowing I wanted to go to this thread and post that I'd done it, so it's already working! Thanks y'all!

Thats right, every bit counts, I couldnt really be bothered writing last night, but those 150 words were because I dont want to write nothing.

It really does work doesnt it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.