The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I went through that Layla. I was writing about 2000 words a day and then I just stopped. Completely burned out and couldn't find the effort to right. I actually took a month off. It made me feel better and when I felt like writing again, I did.

I did 2000 words on the plane yesterday. Gotta love when the internet can't distract you :)

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Layla, I've also had the experience of needing to take time (sometimes several months) away from a novel before I could find my way back to it, re-energized.

My stats: Just finished chapter 22.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lizardmaker - & I see you finish a lot of stuff, so that's encouraging :)

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Finished chapter 23. Yay! (I'm so hungry; why don't I have a chef to make me dinner after I've been writing all day?)

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm at 78,000 words, now. :) 5000 of which were pumped out last night as I wrote like FIEND. Love those writing times when it just *flows*.

And I thought that my novel was going to end up at 90,000 words... which, at this point, I'm about 12,00 words shy of, and the end is nowhere near in sight. I'm anticipating going to 100,000 words now, perhaps even more. Oh, well. Better to overwrite than underwrite--I can take a chainsaw to it later, when I need to. For now, I'll just forge ahead and not worry overmuch.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm at 78,000 words, now.

Excellent!

I'm checking out. I did five days of work. I'm still writing less that before, but things seem a bit easier/lighter. So I feel a bit better.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

:)

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Great work, Savagelilies. I've never written even close to 5K in one day!

Glad you're back on track, Layla. Have a great weekend.

I just finished chapter 24. Woot!

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
Whoo, so how's everyone's weekend going?

I've been sidetracked from the novel by a short story. I'll probably finish it either tonight or tomorrow then get back on track with the novel. At least I'm writing, I guess. xD

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I'm well into chapter four of my new WIP. Almost at 10,000 words. I have a feeling I'll regret saying this...but, it's going really well.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
checking in for the week. Back at BIC & keeping at it. Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Way to go Kewii!

Scarlet Tanager

The Firstborn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
scarletpassmore.blogspot.com
-pops in-
Hey, I'm new, but figured I'd join in here if that's alright n.n

Current Project:
A Bond of Souls
45,178 words (49,000 by page count), 196 pages.

Goal:
Five pages a day, every day. The way I have it formatted, that's about 1000-1200 words as a daily minimum. This is what I've been doing on it lately. If I don't do that, I don't sleep or, in extreme cases (like, hospital or convention) those five carry over to the next day.

So Far:
Well, I've done over ten pages today (it's about my bedtime though n.n) so I'd say it's going pretty well. Time to trawl the forums a bit more, then write another five pages to reach 200 (and do a happy dance), then bedtime!

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Welcome, Scarlet Tanager.

Glad you made some good progress, Kewii.

Good luck with the new MG, Rubay.

I just finished chapter 25.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
A challenge born out of frustration.

The Rules:

1) You must do something to your novel before you can log onto the internet. You can add a single sentence or edit your last one, but it has to be something, and you have to do it every time.

2) You can't start any other projects until your current one is finished. This includes outlining. (You can jot down ideas, but that's it, Bucko!)

3) You must have a daily, weekly, or monthly goal that is absolutely doable for you, in your current situation, right now. It doesn't matter how small it is. That self-imposed goal should be your absolute minimum number of words for the time period specified.

4) You must post your working title, word count, goal, and updates here so that you can be cheered on.

Any takers?

1) I worked a lot on my outline today. It is in Google Docs so that is not exactly correct, but I think it falls within the spirit of the rule.

2) No problem. This one has absorbed me mentally for quite some time.

3) Goal: 20k by August 1st. :eek:

4) Visions of Iris, 0/100k, 0/20k in July, first post.

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Welcome, Witty. Always nice to see new people here. And we don't sweat those rules too much. Just work on your novel and let us know how it's going. We'll cheer you on.

I'm planning to take tomorrow off for the holiday, so I put my head down and barreled all the way through Chapter 26. Now I need to go outside and decompress.

Happy Fourth of July to all the Americans on this thread!

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
God, I haven't worked on my novel in DAYS. I need some ass-kickin'. Or I'll kick myself.

I'm at about... 22,000? 32,000? words from completion. Maybe more? Who knows. There are so many subplots I've lost track, and I've gone back to develop a romance that needed development, so now I'm somewhere back at the beginning, then I need to move back on to the middle. I tried to make myself write this one chronologically, but... looks like that's not about to happen. :Shrug:

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at an impasse now. I really want to get the draft finished by the end of this week/end of next (80k out of 100k), but my mind really hates the book now. Or the part of it that needs a whole lot of work. Needless to say, it's driving me crazy and I kind of hate it right now.

I would try to find some beta readers, but there is kind of a plot element that needed removing.

Break time, maybe.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I have written on my book or my book outline BEFORE getting on the internet all this week. Yay me! I am doing word wars all day if anyone is interested.

1217/20000

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Scarlet and Witty! :hi:

And savagelilies: Get back to work! :rant: (Does that help?)

Finished the short story today. First time I've finished anything in a while. Yay! Now back to the novel...

NyxAustin

Registered
Reaction score
Ok. I'm onto this. I have a finished first draft I need to edit edit edit (and I'm thinking some rewriting too). Also want to really flesh out my outline for my next book so its ready to write when this one gives me a little break.

Goals for this week: Heavy edit on first chapter and outline the other storyline I'm thinking of adding in.

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Welcome to the funhouse, Nyx!

Just finished chapter 27. Yesss! The scent of fresh-baked novel-ending is starting to curl into my nostrils. Won't be much longer...

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes!

I did some (not much) work on my outline and my WIP before getting on AW both times today!

1800/20000 July.

Status
Not open for further replies.