The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Got back to writing after being pretty discouraged there for a while, wrote 4 days this week. Hope everyone is having some good progress. :)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to use my spring break well. Started off by writing just over 2,000 words this morning.

I might go for another hour later and try to put in 1,500 more words or so.

It's crazy how fast the work seems to grow.

ETA: Didn't quite put another hour in. But did get another 1,000 words out.
I think that's the best I've ever done, 3,000 words in a day.
Total word count: 25,000

Last edited:

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Glad it's going better, Layla.

Kewii, that's amazing work!

I added 800 words to chapter 6. Progress feels slow but steady. Sure beats no progress at all.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats kewii, that's good work!
Thanks Lizardmaker, and good going on your 600.
Glad to hear things are going good on you novella, WordCount.

I kept at it, working on a short, that's proceeding with the usual struggle, and I'm just glad I got some words down on the page with my longer work - that's the only way, right? To keep at it?

wishing everyone a productive week :)
LN

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryfrikkenpoppins.wordpress.com
Great word count, Wordcount!
And amazing progress, everybody!

My hubby dropped me off at a local coffee shop while he took the kids shopping and I managed + 1,800 before they got back. He's my hero! <3

Good luck this week, everyone!:)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Nice work Rubay. It's nice you have a supportive husband to give you that time :)
800 is pretty good Lizardmaker. Slow and steady still wins the race, right?
Glad it's going well WordCount.

Today I did just over 3,200 in one sitting. It took a lot of discipline, but wasn't as hard as I expected. I set my timer for an hour and a half and just kept at it.

Total word count: 30,102. Just 5,000 from my goal for the week :)

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, and congrats to you all as well.

3,200 in one sitting? The most I've ever done 3600 in a day, spread out through 3 sittings.
Nice job.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, and congrats to you all as well.

3,200 in one sitting? The most I've ever done 3600 in a day, spread out through 3 sittings.
Nice job.

Thanks!

I actually sat down to do another section, but only for an hour this time. I did another 2,000 words.

That's my highest ever, 5,000 words in a day. I'm pretty happy.

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks!

I actually sat down to do another section, but only for an hour this time. I did another 2,000 words.

That's my highest ever, 5,000 words in a day. I'm pretty happy.

Wow! Good for you! My best was around 2,500. After about two hours my back and shoulders start protesting.

Last edited:

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Rubay, hurray for supportive husbands. I've got one of those, too. And 2500 is the most I've ever done in a day.

I finished chapter 6 today! Chapter 7 is mostly plotted.

And I received bookmarks for promoting Green Light Delivery, my sci fi novel coming out in June. What I'm working on now is the sequel to that, so getting those bookmarks was good inspiration. Don't have a contract for the sequel, but the publisher seems to be eager to consider it. And for that to happen, I have to get it done!

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Don't have a contract for the sequel, but the publisher seems to be eager to consider it. And for that to happen, I have to get it done!

Exciting!
Good luck on getting that contract!

Haven't done much yet. It's Spring Break and it's been rainy outside, keeping my kids inside and going stir crazy. I could feel the creative part of my brain squeezing off, so I rounded everyone up and we went on a soggy walk and got all muddy - including the dog. Now I just need some tea and hopefully I can settle into some writing.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I reached my goal for the week today :)
I did 2,800 this morning and now have a word count of 37,000.

I'm getting myself a massage as a reward.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Congrats to all of you! 5000 words in a day? Wow, that is really awesome. I'm doing really well if I hit 2000, which doesn't come often. Exceptional if I hit the 3000 mark, which has only happened once that I can recently remember. :)

I've been plucking away at my work as I usually do. Almost 900 words last night. It's looking more and more like this story is going to be split more than I intended, what I hoped to have in one book is going to be too big and will have to split into two. I'm sure there will be scenes I can cut or shorten and remove a lot of unnecessary (<--thank goodness for spell check, I can't ever spell that word correctly) words. I was aiming for a trilogy, but I may have a series on my hand. We'll see.

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Tepelus, nothing wrong with a series rather than a trilogy! Lots of great ones out there.

I finished the first half of chapter 7. Chugging along...

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Kewii, awesome!!
Lizardmaker, congrats! & way to go Tepelus.

I wrote 5 days this week, really glad I was able to do so, good to be getting back in the habit :)

hope everybody is doing well!

FranOnTheEdge

Procrastinating lots, writing a bit
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Tepelus, nothing wrong with a series.

Lizardmaker, chapter 7? How far through the book are you, would you say?
I thought 12 chapters was what I would have, then I found myself dividing the existing chapters up further, so that now I have 17 Chapters written and 23 Chapters planned and about 50 scenes strewn about those chapters, with 32 scenes written and 18 to write.
And I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through the story. (hopefully)

Kewii
2,800, wow, that's great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so relieved! I've broken the 50K barrier!
I now have 50,603!! YaaY!

I seem to be writing incredibly slowly now, I'm lucky if I find another 100 words everytime I sit down to the PC, so breaking this 50K barrier has been a long, long haul.

I wonder if it's anything to do with my husband having just had a week off work - that's been rather... inhibiting.

I wish I could finish this, finish the editing and send it off and then just forget about it. Then if nothing happens, well... tough. But if something does... (okay it would be a miracle,) but IF something did, then I could say something then. Otherwise I just feel awful after talking about it, and wish I had said nothing at all. I want to just curl up and die.

I guess I just don't have a big enough ego to put the writing first, with no reason for it.

Does anyone else feel like that?

I guess it's different once you've had something published.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Current status update puts me at 17,500 out of ~100,000 for my revisions. Not as fast as I'd like, although I want to hit 18,000 today and 20,000 before the end of tomorrow.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my first, in my opinion, good mystery story today! In a fear of it being bad, I've posted it in SYW if anyone would like to look at it.

The link is in my signature.

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Fran, I'm expecting 34 chapters, so I've got a looong way to go. But now I'm almost done with Ch 7 and finished a sketch outline of the remaining 27 chapters. So I kind of know where I'm going, anyway!

WordCount, congrats on writing a story you're happy with. That's a great feeling.

shayla.mist

Registered
Reaction score
wow. Congrats everyone!
I don't have much to say, but I've missed this thread so I'm stopping by to complain.I'm blocked. it's been a week since I last wrote anything. don't know when I'll be able to *sigh* Good luck to all of you and may you not jump into the same boat as me!
Love you guys!

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
I just broke my block. You need to discover something you love, and start writing it.

Like me and hardboiled murder mysteries. You just gotta find somethung.

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Welcome, Squinkies!
I haven't wrote much since last week. Spring break and Easter threw me all out of whack - but I plan to put in some serious work on it this week.
Sorry about the word blockage, andra. I've got a significant barrier to breach myself tonight find myself dreading having to tackle it. But we can do this! One word at a time.
Wordcount, congrats on breaking through! I love that feeling. Hoping I can find it myself, tonight.
Good luck, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.