The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathleen_

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, what a great thread!

The stupid book: 90K and shoved in a unused corner of my computer in first draft state. I may go back and rewrite this one at a future date but for now I think I’ve learnt all I can from it and am moving onto:

The first tragic book. Well, actually it was meant to be the fourth tragic book but this story kept butting in while I was trying to plot another one so this is getting done first

The rough outline plot is FINISHED, I actually spewed that out in one sitting. Now I’m working on the detailed outline. I’m up to chapter seven out of 40*. My aim is a chapter a day. Yes, if I actually get working on it I’ll do a heap more than one a day but as one chapter a day is so easy even if I’m not feeling particularly inspired I’ll at least do ONE chapter. Then I may stay to do another five, who know!

*there may be more or less than 40, but I’ve set up my system cards for 40 chapters distributing the main plot points through these which helps keep me from dragging the beginning for too long.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
JSDR - I think that's part of finishing the darn book, since that's what I'm working on myself right now, so of course, you can join!

Welcome, JSDR and Kathleen!

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Go, Kathleen! Outlines can be brutal.

I have plans for a night out with my husband tonight, but I won't enjoy myself if I don't finish drafting this chapter. (I've been stalling for too many days.) So, I'm chained to my desk and not allowed on FB and Twitter.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, if you're trying to finish a book (or a short, or whatever writing project you're working on), you're welcome to post your progress here. :)

Welcome to our new members, and congrats to everyone still chugging along!

tedi.s

Demigods, wolves, & Vamps... Oh my!
Registered
Reaction score
ACK!!! So i was sitting in bad this morning ruminating on my WIP that was shelved while I waited for it to leave my mind so I could edit, and suddenly I was struck with how I could turn it into a series!!! Now I am considering going in and re-writing a few things and adding a little bit here and there and voila, Book 1 of the Stray Series.
WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH ME??!!! I am such a glutton for punishment. I really hope people don't take that the wrong way. I can only imagine the trouble I could stir up in the Erotica boards :D hee hee

Oh, on the other front. Um I didn't really do anything yday since I was running errands for the FRG (military/family org.) but I will be better tonight. However, i have already met my weekly goals, so I have no guilt!

tedi.s

Registered
Reaction score
Also, do you like Sheep's butt? That was my morbidly obese Bichon right before we had to put him down. I miss him, since he was such a good cuddler! Like a giant fluffy pillow. We adopted him fat and with cancer but when I wrote this was the view over the laptop, so I thought I would enjoy seeing him again. I do :)

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
Good luck to you and everyone else trying to bang out their words for the day. We are all still champs even if we bang out 5, 500, 5000, or 50 K...although if you can do that much in one sitting, I'm would be seriously wondering what you were smoking. :D :Trophy:

I still don't what made inspiration come out the sky, watching the show. A hilarious episode to be sure, but what I was writing at the time, to me, doesn't have a obvious link to it.

I mean, I was writing about a panicky dad in a nursery ranting to his partner about the kids and watching a m/m/f quad relationship gone horribly wrong. :ROFL:

Your whole post made me :ROFL::ROFL: Yes, I wonder too what I would be smoking if I did 50k in one day. :D:D 5k I do almost every day now, only when I put one WIP on hold and then I have to get caught up on it the next day...I used to do 14k in one day, I did that 4 or 5 times that I can remember, last year, but in order to do that much, I literally have to write, from the moment I wake up, till it's time to go to sleep, and I am not up for that, not anymore. 6k is the most I decided to do in one day, and that's only when I get behind on one of my WIP's. Today I am planning to work on WIP1 until I hit 94k words, since that's the word mark I'm supposed to be at today according to my start date on that one, 07/10/2011, and I'm supposed to hit 48k on WIP2, but if I don't do that today, there's always tomorrow, even better because on Sat. and Sun. I hardly watch any TV. :ROFL: A really-good movie or show has to be on, I mean one that I really, really love. :D And, well. I am at 90.8k on WIP1 right now, so I am planning to write while watching Days of Our Lives and One Life to Live now that I know I can do that again without those shows distracting me too much. I can hear what's going on and still write. It's the only way I'm going to be able to hit 94k or close to that before 3 PM. If I hit that before 3 PM and then around 4 PM, I work on getting to the 48k word mark on WIP2, it's the only way I'll be able to go to sleep at 11 PM today. But if I don't, there's always wonderful, almost-TV-free Saturday, and Sunday. :D So good luck to you, and everything you said in this post made me :ROFL:!!

Can I post here if the WIP is written, but now I'm in the second phase - read through and editing and shortening? *Feels weird about posting a decreasing word count*

You can post anything you do with your WIP here, whether it's reducing the word count to go back and fix something you did wrong. :Thumbs: :Trophy: for what you've accomplished.

Oh, what a great thread!

The stupid book: 90K and shoved in a unused corner of my computer in first draft state. I may go back and rewrite this one at a future date but for now I think I’ve learnt all I can from it and am moving onto:

The first tragic book. Well, actually it was meant to be the fourth tragic book but this story kept butting in while I was trying to plot another one so this is getting done first

The rough outline plot is FINISHED, I actually spewed that out in one sitting. Now I’m working on the detailed outline. I’m up to chapter seven out of 40*. My aim is a chapter a day. Yes, if I actually get working on it I’ll do a heap more than one a day but as one chapter a day is so easy even if I’m not feeling particularly inspired I’ll at least do ONE chapter. Then I may stay to do another five, who know!

*there may be more or less than 40, but I’ve set up my system cards for 40 chapters distributing the main plot points through these which helps keep me from dragging the beginning for too long.

The stupid book made me :ROFL: just because you called it a stupid book. I am thrilled with the progress on your other WIP's and wish you the best. I know you can do it. :Trophy: for you, too and welcome to the FTDB challenge thread!!

JSDR - I think that's part of finishing the darn book, since that's what I'm working on myself right now, so of course, you can join!

Welcome, JSDR and Kathleen!

Yep! :Thumbs:

Go, Kathleen! Outlines can be brutal.

I have plans for a night out with my husband tonight, but I won't enjoy myself if I don't finish drafting this chapter. (I've been stalling for too many days.) So, I'm chained to my desk and not allowed on FB and Twitter.

I did the outlines for the second and third book in my Imperfect Angels series in under an hour two days in a row. :D And I got those ideas while listening to my music. :) Outlines are wonderful, I realize, because they help you put the book together and you don't have to break your brains trying to figure out what the heck to write next. From now on, when it's a brand-new book I am planning to work on, I will outline. :D

Yup, if you're trying to finish a book (or a short, or whatever writing project you're working on), you're welcome to post your progress here. :)

Welcome to our new members, and congrats to everyone still chugging along!

Yep!! :Thumbs: Word for word, what she said, totally QFT. (Quoted for Truth)

ACK!!! So i was sitting in bad this morning ruminating on my WIP that was shelved while I waited for it to leave my mind so I could edit, and suddenly I was struck with how I could turn it into a series!!! Now I am considering going in and re-writing a few things and adding a little bit here and there and voila, Book 1 of the Stray Series.
WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH ME??!!! I am such a glutton for punishment. I really hope people don't take that the wrong way. I can only imagine the trouble I could stir up in the Erotica boards :D hee hee

Oh, on the other front. Um I didn't really do anything yday since I was running errands for the FRG (military/family org.) but I will be better tonight. However, i have already met my weekly goals, so I have no guilt!

The same thing happens to me every time I write a new story. It becomes a series! :ROFL: It seems like my characters' whole story can't be told in one installment, so far, I don't know about the future. I hope in the future that will change, but I love writing series. Imperfect Angels is a total rewrite of a series I wrote back in 2004, so it has to go beyond the first book.

Also, do you like Sheep's butt? That was my morbidly obese Bichon right before we had to put him down. I miss him, since he was such a good cuddler! Like a giant fluffy pillow. We adopted him fat and with cancer but when I wrote this was the view over the laptop, so I thought I would enjoy seeing him again. I do :)

:cry: for your beautiful Sheep's butt!! I know what it's like to lose a pet. When I lost my puppy Selena back in 2008, I was depressed for 6 whole months!! :( But I am glad you still have pictures of Sheep's Butt. I don't have any pictures of Selena, only the memories we made together. I remember she was so spoiled she wanted to be on my lap all day long, even when I was writing. I had to put her on the floor and she would always get right back into my lap. She was the one to wake me up in the morning by trying to get in bed with me. She was only 4 mos. old, run over by a car. Good thing I still had Tuly, her sister, and she helped me pull through. Tuly died after I moved back to Puerto Rico, so since I wasn't around when she died, it didn't hurt me as much. Besides I was expecting her to live a very short time because since she was born she had problems. She couldn't even gain weight.

Anyway, back to my writing and I am glad to see you champs! Keep on rockin!! :e2headban

Reaction score
Back on track, finally.

This book will be finished.

Heck yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer: That's what I want to read!! You go, champion!! Finish that book! You know you can do it!! :Trophy: for your efforts!

I am so close from the 92k word mark, but since I haven't reached it yet I haven't updated meter. I will do it later today, though. I was planning to let the computer rest from one until at least 3:30 or 4:00 EST, but then I decided to come back and check on this thread for a few mins.! Okay, computer off till 3:30 now!! It had been on since I got up at 8:30 AM. Machines need their rest, too. Otherwise they'll stop functioning like they're supposed to. :)

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Hit my goal for the day. That's one more k. :)

Total days: 29
Total k's: 28

Hopefully, I'll be able to make up those extra thousand words soon.

Kitty Crocodile

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to print out the complete first draft. After a year and a half it's finished! 159k words and 336 pages. I'm pretty sure I can cut at least 20k without breaking a sweat, another 20k with a little more difficulty, and the rest in line editing.

Now printing. Whee!

tedi.s

Registered
Reaction score
:cry: for your beautiful Sheep's butt!! I know what it's like to lose a pet. When I lost my puppy Selena back in 2008, I was depressed for 6 whole months!! :( But I am glad you still have pictures of Sheep's Butt. I don't have any pictures of Selena, only the memories we made together. I remember she was so spoiled she wanted to be on my lap all day long, even when I was writing. I had to put her on the floor and she would always get right back into my lap. She was the one to wake me up in the morning by trying to get in bed with me. She was only 4 mos. old, run over by a car. Good thing I still had Tuly, her sister, and she helped me pull through. Tuly died after I moved back to Puerto Rico, so since I wasn't around when she died, it didn't hurt me as much. Besides I was expecting her to live a very short time because since she was born she had problems. She couldn't even gain weight.

Anyway, back to my writing and I am glad to see you champs! Keep on rockin!! :e2headban

:cry:sorry you lost your pets. it is hard. Sheep was just so fluffy and liked to sit by the exhaust fan on my lap top so, even though he was WELL insulated, he could stay warm :D Good work on getting some work done thought today!

Back on track, finally.

This book will be finished.

You can do this! Getting back on track is the hardest part.

Hit my goal for the day. That's one more k. :)

1K you can do that easy :D

I'm about to print out the complete first draft. After a year and a half it's finished! 159k words and 336 pages. I'm pretty sure I can cut at least 20k without breaking a sweat, another 20k with a little more difficulty, and the rest in line editing.

Now printing. Whee!

336 pages! I thought I heard the rain forests screaming lol. I am a paper editer as well. It just works so much better for me. Good luck with the choppity chop!

I ran errands and got my Vitamin D at the park with the kids. it was a good day! I will write later. . . promise. I read some smut today. That counts as research, right hee hee

Reaction score
tedi.s said:
sorry you lost your pets. it is hard. Sheep was just so fluffy and liked to sit by the exhaust fan on my lap top so, even though he was WELL insulated, he could stay warm Good work on getting some work done thought today!

I finally reached and exceeded the 92k word mark, finishing chapter 23/25 at 92,388 words and now I am on my way to the 94k word mark I should be in today! It's 6:40 PM, and while listening to the movie "Tamara" in the background on FearNet, I am going to do as many words as I can until 8:00 PM EST and see how many words I will have done by then. Hopefully I would've exceeded 93k. :D I will never forget Selena, but it's time to move on. :)

Monkey said:
Hit my goal for the day. That's one more k.

:Trophy: for you!!

Kitty Crocodile said:

Now printing. Whee!

:Trophy: for finishing your first draft at 159k! That's huge! I still remember the days when I did 200k-first drafts. :D Those days are gone now that I learned the rules of word count for first-time authors. :D I know you'll do great at the cutting! I wish I had enough ink in my printer to print a 336-page MS. :)

Great job! Now to update word meter!

Reaction score
Just finished my work for today on WIP1 at 94,473 words total, so I got caught up! I am excited!

I have to do 4k words on WIP2 tomorrow to get caught up on that one because I didn't have time to work on that one today, because I want to go to sleep at 11:00 PM EST, not 1:00 AM, EST, and the usual 2k words on WIP 1, but tomorrow it'll be a lot easier because like I said it's Saturday, and I can't stop repeating it because I a m excited about being able to write more!

Updating word meter! Goodnight, Champions!!

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score

Now printing. Whee!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
...:TheWave:

Last edited:

Kathleen_

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes everyone! I actually enjoy outlining and have learnt the more and better I do it, the easier the writing is. The stupid book... in many ways I am still inlove with it but for now we need distance from eachother. It's had the nickname "the stupid book" ever since it turned into a teenager.

I have outlined the first ten chapters now of the tragic book and that'll probably be it for today as I have a sewing deadline to meet and it's for a charity event in two weeks time so I better not miss it. So I'm off to download some more audiobooks so I can listen to my research while I sew... does that count as writing?

Congrats to everyone who is meeting their goals and a special congrats to Kitty Crocodile! Way to go!

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
Okay, I've seen this thread floating around the forum for a while, but I need it now!

Game of Illusions
Currently at 39,001 words
My minimum goal: 500 words a day. I'd love to do more -- usually when I get into a flow, I write 2-3K, but 500 is my minimum.

Nice job, Kitty! :partyguy:

I know there are some awesome books being written right now. By us, of course ;)

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Managed to cut 1000 words today. ...
Added 800 >.<

Need to cut about 25k more....

Kitty Crocodile

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, everyone! :) I think I saw some steam coming from the printer. I already wrote a new first chapter and a new synopsis - the beginning and the middle part will see major changes and tightening up. It's a huge pile of paper, though!

JSDR, I expect the same to happen to me. Some scenes demand more adding than others; in the end I'm sure it'll balance out. :)

Magali, looks like you're almost there with WIP1! Congrats! :)

Good luck, everyone!

Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
...:TheWave:

Yep, congratulations and :Trophy: for you!!

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! I actually enjoy outlining and have learnt the more and better I do it, the easier the writing is. The stupid book... in many ways I am still inlove with it but for now we need distance from eachother. It's had the nickname "the stupid book" ever since it turned into a teenager.

I have outlined the first ten chapters now of the tragic book and that'll probably be it for today as I have a sewing deadline to meet and it's for a charity event in two weeks time so I better not miss it. So I'm off to download some more audiobooks so I can listen to my research while I sew... does that count as writing?

Congrats to everyone who is meeting their goals and a special congrats to Kitty Crocodile! Way to go!

In my opinion, anything you do for your WIP counts as work, and research is very valuable so you're smart to take your time to do that before actually sitting down and writing. I do a different kind of research. Every time I go to write a story about people that can do things normal people can't do, I watch movies! Yes, that's right, movies! Horror movies about creatures with outrageous supernatural powers like "Wishmaster", and "Tamara" for example. I don't know if you guys have even heard about those, but another great example is "The Craft", a very popular 1996 movie about witchcraft different networks show at least once every month. For more information about these movies, just in case you're curious about their plots, I will provide links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamara_(2005_film)

That basically explains the whole movie from start to finish

Wishmaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wishmaster_(film)

So there you go, that's my research, I just watch those movies to find out the powers those characters have in the movies and their weaknesses and stuff...so there you go!! All in the name of research.

Okay, I've seen this thread floating around the forum for a while, but I need it now!

Game of Illusions
Currently at 39,001 words
My minimum goal: 500 words a day. I'd love to do more -- usually when I get into a flow, I write 2-3K, but 500 is my minimum.

Nice job, Kitty! :partyguy:

I know there are some awesome books being written right now. By us, of course ;)

:Trophy: for you! And Go go go, I know you can do it!! :Thumbs:

Managed to cut 1000 words today. ...
Added 800 >.<

Need to cut about 25k more....

:Trophy: Fantastic job!

Thanks so much, everyone! :) I think I saw some steam coming from the printer. I already wrote a new first chapter and a new synopsis - the beginning and the middle part will see major changes and tightening up. It's a huge pile of paper, though!

JSDR, I expect the same to happen to me. Some scenes demand more adding than others; in the end I'm sure it'll balance out. :)

Magali, looks like you're almost there with WIP1! Congrats! :)

Good luck, everyone!

Great job, Kathleen, and that printer's damn lucky for reproducing your masterpiece!! Now go make it even better than it already is!! Yes, I am almost done with WIP1 and I'm going to go ahead and work on it, starting at 10:00 AM EST, in a few minutes, and work on it till 11:30 AM to see how many words I've reached, since I have less than 1,500 words to write on that one to get to the 96k word-mark, and then I am going to concentrate on trying to dish 4k words for WIP2, to make up for the 2k words I couldn't write on that one yesterday.

But I'm sure those 800 words had far more value than the 1000 you cut. And even cutting 200 words out of every thousand is a fair chunk ;)

Quoted for Truth! :Thumbs:

Reaction score
Update for WIP1

08/27/2011

Started at: 94,473 words
Stopped at: 96,303 words
Words Written Today: 1,830

ETA: Update for WIP2

08/27/2011

Started at: 46,169 words
Stopped at: 48,285 words
Words Written as of 4:05 PM, EST: 2,116

ETA: 2nd update for WIP 2

Started at: 48,285 words at 5:00 PM
Stopped at: 50,185 words at 8:36 PM after a two-hour interruption
Words Written Today: 1,900

Total Words for WIP 2 today: 4,016

Total Words Written Today: 5,846.

Last edited:

Kathleen_

Registered
Reaction score
Total Words Written Today: 5,846.

I've done that many words in a day before and I can tell you (though I know you know ;) )that's a lot! Well done!

I haven't had much time to work on writing today. I have filled out ten more system cards on my outlining, not sure how many chapters that will be yet. Probably two an a bit with some wriggle room still.

I've also added to my list of "horrible stuff that can happen" that I am keeping while I listen (audio book) to my research reading material and have learnt enough about propaganda and brainwashing and indoctrination to know that these aspects of my plot are well in the realms of possibility.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
shaved off 1500 words.
Added 1000words.
gnight folks. keep at it!
*goes to crawl into bed.*

Status
Not open for further replies.