Mama Jude's Pep Talk

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Silver, set your font for Times New Roman size 12 and go. Don't ever change it. That's probably the font you're subbing in; if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for you! :)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what I need, whether it's advice or a kick in the tail. I have not touched my WIP in weeks if not months. I used the excuse of having a lot of travel to do over the last two months and before that I was unwell, but now I just cannot get my mind back into the story. I'd say I can't bring myself to care about it again but in my heart I really want to get this thing down on paper. Just I look at the MS and there's nothing, I have no sense of the story or where I wanted to go (although I have a detailed outline).

Don't really know what to do, how to get the oomph back.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score

Not sure if this will help, but recently I decided to treat writing as just another job (like maybe newspapers) and stopped looking for inspiration. Words need to be written and the sheer practice of getting words down will lead to technical improvement at the very least.

This has been good for me and since Nov., I have gotten more the 90,000 words written. It is a first draft and so more of an extended outline than anything. But at least it's something to work with. Sometimes editing is actually easier.

This has been working for me.

Hope this helps. :)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Life can be such an interference you know what I mean? So I think discipline is the toughest part of writing. So aside from kids, housework, grandbaby etc I'm doing a lot of editing lately on my two days off. I don't want to focus on a writing project right now until these two things are done.

BUT just to keep in the habit of the actual writing I've been blogging. Keeps my brain in the habit of making something from nothing even if it's only 30 minutes. Of course that may seem a daunting task in itself but I don't do it every day, just usually twice a week. Nothing complex either. Sort of self imposed deadlines.

But you don't need to start blogging now, that's just my choice. If the WIP is being a problem and you haven't worked on it in weeks, spend the next few weeks doing brain exercises. Try just sitting down for 15 or 30 minutes to free flow write. You can even be watching TV, who the heck cares? Just start and go. "Today I was walking down the street and...." Who cares if you didn't really walk down the street, the point is not to come up with great words. This isn't about great prose it's about retraining your brain to get in a habit. THEN after a few weeks pick up your WIP.

Just think of all the things your brain tells you to do every day that you don't even think about any more because it's habit, you've been doing it your whole life. It tells you when you should stand up and head to the bathroom, which paper money to hand the lady for $20 in gas, to put your foot on the break when the car in front of you stops, the list is endless!

Your brain also tells you what letters are, which letters you need to make which words, its known that for YEARS! It does it all the time. It is fully capable to be trained to put them together to make a story it just needs a bit of training to make it a habit without an outside prompt.

There--that is my new mantra!

Retrain the Brain!

See, and just like that, I have a blog post too. :)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
PS

Not that I have anything against prompts, I find them fun actually. I just meant in regards to getting back into your own WIP that retraining your brain with some brain exercises might help.

Silver-Midnight, if the font is a distraction, than don't use the computer. Maybe try writing with pen and paper for a while. Even if it is just a small notebook to carry in your back pocket to jot down ideas for your story or random thoughts. It's still brain training ya know? "OK brain, when I get an idea, this is what I want you to do with it. Write it down." Repeat.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Not sure what I need, whether it's advice or a kick in the tail. I have not touched my WIP in weeks if not months. I used the excuse of having a lot of travel to do over the last two months and before that I was unwell, but now I just cannot get my mind back into the story. I'd say I can't bring myself to care about it again but in my heart I really want to get this thing down on paper. Just I look at the MS and there's nothing, I have no sense of the story or where I wanted to go (although I have a detailed outline).

Maybe just try relaxing while in front of your computer/keyboard. You know, play music you like or relaxing sounds or something. Try to calm yourself down and just let your brain think.

Just a suggestion. I mean I think I'm really bad when it comes to giving writing advice. :tongue

Silver-Midnight, if the font is a distraction, than don't use the computer. Maybe try writing with pen and paper for a while. Even if it is just a small notebook to carry in your back pocket to jot down ideas for your story or random thoughts. It's still brain training ya know? "OK brain, when I get an idea, this is what I want you to do with it. Write it down." Repeat.

Well, I typically do write my ideas in a notebook. At least when I get a chance to.

As far as the actual story, I haven't hand written a story in a long time. Like I really long time. I, truthfully, don't know how I feel about it. It's been a really long time.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

:Hug2: What about writing something that isn't related, something quick and different and maybe outside your usual genre? Or a short story about one of your characters, but not related to the book? That might get the juices flowing!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Why not head over to my crap film ideas thread in Office Party and pitch a couple of terrible movies?

I'm actually serious. I find it a brilliant way to keep my creative side active. Just come up with a scenario, put a twist on it, and stick it up. They're bitesize ways to get you in a creating mood. Every time I post in there I feel fired up to write another chapter.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Why not head over to my crap film ideas thread in Office Party and pitch a couple of terrible movies?

I'm actually serious. I find it a brilliant way to keep my creative side active.

LOL. I love it. What a wonderful idea. As an analogy, I have always maintained that one has to be willing to tell bad jokes in order to be funny. If you get my drift.

(All skills that are perfected involve a willingness to make mistakes along the way.)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
If it's any help, I read a short in a national magazine, no tension between the characters, no literary tension at all, no scruples. The story essentially went: boyfriend out of town, everyone's too perfect looking, hop in bed with hunk neighbor, sex scene wasn't even very hot, Bye, maybe we'll do it again sometime.

And it was written by the magazine's editor. So if you think you're not good enough, just disregard that thought. You're a hell of a better writer than this chic and she's making loads of cash. Stop judging yourself, Z.

Just believe. Write. Revise. Query. Submit. Publish.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmn, maybe writing a little spin-off thing could work. Now I think about it, I did that with the last WIP and did a short story with the same team. It's just weird that I love the setup, characters etc and yet when I go to write, nada. Still, I will try.
Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement as always.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmn, maybe writing a little spin-off thing could work. Now I think about it, I did that with the last WIP and did a short story with the same team. It's just weird that I love the setup, characters etc and yet when I go to write, nada. Still, I will try.
Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement as always.

I'm in the same boat, Zelenka so I know exactly how you're feeling. :Hug2:

I'm beginning to wonder if my subconscious isn't trying to tell me something, namely that the story is crap?:cry:

I've tried all the advice here, but nothing is working. I need to get this 1st draft finished. I will get this 1st draft finished, even if it's one excruciating line at a time.:Headbang:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm stuck too. One scene has been presenting a giant road block and I'm still trying to figure out how to get around it. Last night I pulled together all of the scenes in which this secondary character appears or is mentioned, hoping it would help show me what I need to do next. It reminded me of a plot point I'd forgotten, but I still don't know what to write. I may skip this one and go back to it later. I made more progress in February than I usually do in several months, and I don't want to start backtracking because of one stupid scene. *kicks scene*

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

I'm beginning to wonder if my subconscious isn't trying to tell me something, namely that the story is crap?:cry:

I've tried all the advice here, but nothing is working. I need to get this 1st draft finished. I will get this 1st draft finished, even if it's one excruciating line at a time.:Headbang:

:Hug2: You can do it! :e2cheer: Like you said, one line at a time... maybe when Easter is over you and I should do some kind of challenge to poke us along? :poke:

I'm stuck too. One scene has been presenting a giant road block and I'm still trying to figure out how to get around it. Last night I pulled together all of the scenes in which this secondary character appears or is mentioned, hoping it would help show me what I need to do next. It reminded me of a plot point I'd forgotten, but I still don't know what to write. I may skip this one and go back to it later. I made more progress in February than I usually do in several months, and I don't want to start backtracking because of one stupid scene. *kicks scene*

::kicks scene too:: Let me know if you need a sounding board!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I hate this chapter.

I am SO CLOSE to being done with this edit. It's possible I'm finding it all more and more difficult because I know when I'm done I'm facing the query letter...and then actually sending that query letter to actual people. Easier to moan about the work I'm doing now than to actually DO IT and keep moving.

I humbly request an emergency kick in the backside.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee

I've been there before. So, so many times before. Have you tried maybe walking away from it? Taking a break from the scene? Maybe writing something else, or give yourself time to think on it?

You can do it, Namtu. :D You can.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: You can do it! :e2cheer: Like you said, one line at a time... maybe when Easter is over you and I should do some kind of challenge to poke us along? :poke:

Thanks, HJ, a challenge sounds just what I need. Either that or one of those gentle kicks.:D

I've been there before. So, so many times before. Have you tried maybe walking away from it? Taking a break from the scene? Maybe writing something else, or give yourself time to think on it?

Thanks, Silver, I've tried just about everything. I'm so close to the end I can almost taste it, but I've run out of steam.:Shrug:

Now, lizmonster, in case hj's gentle kick didn't help enough: :flamethrower

Oooh, can I join in?:troll

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, HJ, a challenge sounds just what I need. Either that or one of those gentle kicks.:D
Allow me to offer this as hj's proxy: Finish. It. :e2teeth:

Thanks, Silver, I've tried just about everything. I'm so close to the end I can almost taste it, but I've run out of steam.:Shrug:
You can do it! Have you run out of steam on the plot or the people? A character? What's the thing that's turning you off?

Oooh, can I join in?:troll
I'm going to pretend this is for me, to encourage me to type stuff up tonight. Axes wielded by trolls are scary.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Here's a trick when you're stuck, well 2 actually.

First, reread your entire work from start to wherever you got stuck. You will see things you overlooked, missed, misplaced, or otherwise forgot about and you will start typing again, filling in, rounding out, and generally completing stuff.

Second, step away from the story for just a little bit. Give your subconcious time to work things out. Read a book on history, a book outside your normal genre, a classic western or detective work (Shane or any of the short "pulp" detective stories from the 30s always does it for me), take a walk, watch a sunrise or sunset, go golfing or fishing or running or do something that takes your mind away from the story. You'll come back to it with a lot more ideas and thoughts about where the story is going.

Exercise has been shown in the new science of the mind to actually generate new neural connections and refresh your mind and mental pathways.