Mama Jude's Pep Talk

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Big day today! Just finishing up some last minute things for our chicken BBQ and chance auction for our fundraiser to send our scouts to camp. Hope it goes well. Two of our lady parents who always did the kitchen part are no longer in (they're scouts have eagled out.)

Hubby thought there wasn't enough guy stuff for the auction so he went out and bought some camp chairs and fishing poles. I have to agree. We'll have a lot for the ladies and toys for kids. We time it for the opening day of little league as the fire hall is in the same park.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I wish this post had gone into more depth, but I thought it was inspiring.

But I have an odd feeling about it all. I have a feeling that if I was trying to write for hundreds of thousands of readers, I might not have ended up with any. I have a feeling that the success of my book came from the fact that I knew who I was writing it for.

I have a feeling this is my problem: I'm writing for other people. I stopped writing for me, and it stopped being fun.

I'm going back to writing for me.

How about you?

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I wish this post had gone into more depth, but I thought it was inspiring.

I have a feeling this is my problem: I'm writing for other people. I stopped writing for me, and it stopped being fun.

I'm going back to writing for me.

How about you?
Thanks for posting that link.
I think he has a point.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Thanks for posting that link.

Ditto.

I think he has a point.

Agreed. I'm writing the book I've got in my head, and I don't even have the hope that my husband will read it. If I can't find an agent, I'm going to cheerfully self-publish it, and make sure I have at least one hardcopy so my grandchildren will be able to pick it up someday and say "Oh...dear. Grandma."

I don't do so well with assignments. If I tried to write for someone else, I'd never finish.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I had an issue with this a while ago, when I found an old book I wrote years ago, back in the 90s in fact when I was at college in London. The writing was awful, as in the technical side of it, the style etc but the actual story was great, and I remembered how much joy and fun I had sitting up 'til 3am writing until my back got too sore. Because back then I hadn't been on any writing forums or read any books on writing and I didn't know that I shouldn't use passive voice or switch POVs too often or any of these other 'rules' that I've heard about since. I was just writing the story that was in my head and needed to get out.

Nowadays I think I'm technically much, much better but at the same time I think my writing has lost something, that spark of enthusiasm that I had when I didn't bother about whether or not it was 'right', whether it was acceptable for modern readers or if there was a market for it or what have you. And so for the last while I've been trying to figure a way to get it back again.

I imagine most people will already have seen this but also, check out the first chapter of 'Zen and the Art of Writing' by Ray Bradbury. Even if you're not into science fiction, that first chapter is all about that kind of enthusiasm for your own writing and I found it really inspiring too.

I think I got some of the passion back for my WIP, and if no one wants to publish it, I will self publish. But that's assuming I can figure out where to start in editing it. Know roughly what I want to do, just not physically how to do it!

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I love being on this forum and reading here about the rules and the shoulds and should-nots, there is also that danger of trying to adjust too much, and losing the enthusiasm and joy of it all that way. It becomes a different package, all of a sudden, or it can do.

Remembering to try to write only for yourself or for a spesific someone is probably a good advice.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this thread deserved a bump.

And I need a head-slap. I've just re-written my query letter for about the thirty-seventh time.

And I still don't like it. :(

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Don't worry, Gail. You're a good writer - it will happen.

I need this thread too at the moment. I've written less than five hundred words this month, not through lack of inspiration, more through lack of energy. Just need a kick to get me going again.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score

And I need a head-slap. I've just re-written my query letter for about the thirty-seventh time.

Yeah, me too. I just trunked a novel and am starting another one.

As the recently trunked novel was my first completed one and I spent years on it, wanting to learn from it. But the opening scene would not gel and my betas panned it.... and.... and.

And I was so sure. So now the second one I am writing almost secretly. Haven't even had hubby read it. Just am operating on faith. I expect this one will be trunked too.

Then I don't know what the next one will be... But so far I have alotted myself the task this month of producing at least 1000 to 1500 words a day. And it seems to be working. Not sure about the quality.....but, but, but.

So Gail, you've got company. Cannot speak for the quality of it, but you've got company.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Gail, onesecond and onuilmar, y'all hang in there. You never know when it will just flip over and you'll suddenly feel inspired, or get published, or have something else wonderful happen. It all can turn on a dime.

What matters is that you're inspired to write--so there must be a reason. Stick with it. (((hugs)))

Lucie

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

Aw. :( I really liked the one you had before! Did agents not agree? Silly agents! :Hug2:

Don't worry, Gail. You're a good writer - it will happen.

I need this thread too at the moment. I've written less than five hundred words this month, not through lack of inspiration, more through lack of energy. Just need a kick to get me going again.

I have no kicks, how about a gentle poke? :poke: You'll get your mojo back. Are you interested in the book you're writing? Maybe a change of pace? Romance! How about romance?!

Yeah, me too. I just trunked a novel and am starting another one.

As the recently trunked novel was my first completed one and I spent years on it, wanting to learn from it. But the opening scene would not gel and my betas panned it.... and.... and.

And I was so sure. So now the second one I am writing almost secretly. Haven't even had hubby read it. Just am operating on faith. I expect this one will be trunked too.

Then I don't know what the next one will be... But so far I have alotted myself the task this month of producing at least 1000 to 1500 words a day. And it seems to be working. Not sure about the quality.....but, but, but.

So Gail, you've got company. Cannot speak for the quality of it, but you've got company.

:Hug2: As long as you're writing, who cares about the quality? I had a couple of trunked novels, too--most of us have--and I learned so much from them, even though I knew they would never see the light of day. It's all good. Really.

What matters is that you're inspired to write--so there must be a reason. Stick with it. (((hugs)))

Amen. :)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Onuilmar - I have more trunked novels than I care to admit. It's getting harder to accept now that novels need trunked as I've got so many that didn't work. So I can feel your pain. But hopefully even my hundreds of dead books had something I could take from them and learn from. I hope, anyway.

I don't know if I need a kick or just a grandmother smiley or whatever, but I can't start my rewrite. I think it's nerves, that idea that the beginning is the make-or-break part, and nothing I can come up with feels like the right place to jump in. I'm at head-against-wall stage, but luckily still have some clearing out to do before the movers bring my stuff on Monday and so can take my mind off my lack of writing.

But all those feeling stuck or frustrated, massive hugs and keep on going. Probably if we weren't all born writers we wouldn't get so bothered by these things, right? We'd just leave it and try rock climbing or something else! :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I need a kick or just a grandmother smiley or whatever, but I can't start my rewrite. I think it's nerves, that idea that the beginning is the make-or-break part, and nothing I can come up with feels like the right place to jump in. I'm at head-against-wall stage, but luckily still have some clearing out to do before the movers bring my stuff on Monday and so can take my mind off my lack of writing.

:granny: :poke: :Sun: :)

Take some of the pressure off. Read the first chapter just for fun. No edits allowed. See if something breaks loose that way. It works for me, anyway. :)

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
But all those feeling stuck or frustrated, massive hugs and keep on going. Probably if we weren't all born writers we wouldn't get so bothered by these things, right? We'd just leave it and try rock climbing or something else! :)

Amen to that.

Zelenka, heyjude & Wonder:

Return ((hugs)). This is appreciated more than you could know.

Zelenka, I'll send back at you your advice to me: keep writing (or re-writing.) And what heyjude said, turn off the editor. The editor is definitely being much too critical. Some of that is needed, but so are the "atta girls."

And yeah, I recognize the value in trunked novels. It's just.... well, you know.

Last edited:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka, I'll send back at you your advice to me: keep writing (or re-writing.) And what heyjude said, turn off the editor. The editor is definitely being much too critical. Some of that is needed, but so are the "atta girls."

Internal editors should be locked away and only allowed out on special occasions. :D

I feed mine cake - keeps her quiet.:evil

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Internal editors should be locked away and only allowed out on special occasions. :D

I feed mine cake - keeps her quiet.:evil

I love this! ^^

Thanks for all the kind words, people. I think they stuck 'cos I did yet another re-write of the hated query letter. And I actually like it. I totally broke the 'Show don't tell' rule and suddenly, imho, it reads like the pitch it's supposed to be.

But if I tell and don't show (much) does that mean it won't have appeal to an agent?

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words, people. I think they stuck 'cos I did yet another re-write of the hated query letter. And I actually like it. I totally broke the 'Show don't tell' rule and suddenly, imho, it reads like the pitch it's supposed to be.

But if I tell and don't show (much) does that mean it won't have appeal to an agent?

Great news on your query letter, Gail.:hooray: (Told ya the cake would work.;))

As for agent appeal...you won't know until you try.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I have no kicks, how about a gentle poke? :poke: You'll get your mojo back. Are you interested in the book you're writing? Maybe a change of pace? Romance! How about romance?!

Thanks jude (and Lucie and everyone else). I love the book I'm writing - I love the promise of how much more it can be than the first draft.

I think it's two things. I'm getting bogged down in work from the day job, which leaves me no time to write; and then when I do write, because it's re-drafting it has to be just so. Except of course it doesn't, but try telling my inner editor he's going to have to sit through this lot again before I get to write that really cool idea glinting from the "stories I want to write" pile...

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great news on your query letter, Gail.:hooray: (Told ya the cake would work.;))

As for agent appeal...you won't know until you try.

Thank you! :)

I submitted it yesterday.

A period of worry now commences.

I think I need Mama Jude to :whip: those agents into line.

:D

And onesecondglance, I'm so with you. The job interfering with the writing is soooo frustrating. :Hug2:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I think it's two things. I'm getting bogged down in work from the day job, which leaves me no time to write; and then when I do write, because it's re-drafting it has to be just so. Except of course it doesn't, but try telling my inner editor he's going to have to sit through this lot again before I get to write that really cool idea glinting from the "stories I want to write" pile...

Thinking about the next book can be a great motivator. Of course, it can also be a great way to procrastinate. I've been thinking about the one I just started for MONTHS...and now I'm getting all kinds of great ideas for the one after that. I think my brain just doesn't like to work.

Day job - you have my sympathies. Me, too.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Day job - you have my sympathies. Me, too.

Ah, yes, the day job.

Mine's a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it sucks up time and energy; on the other hand, it makes me get out of bed. I tend to be a real lead bottom, and without the job I fear I would get even less accomplished writing-wise than I do now.

And GailD, good luck with the agent. Here's hoping that Mama Jude can work her magic on them. Maybe fairy dust in addition to the ropes. :D

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks jude (and Lucie and everyone else). I love the book I'm writing - I love the promise of how much more it can be than the first draft.

Patience Grasshopper. (Sorry, couldn't resist.:D)

If you're feeling pulled in the direction of a new story(s) why don't you take a break from your WIP and write something different?

It can be awfully tiring trying to get a draft just so. I know, because I'm having the same problem. Here's hoping it gets better - for both of us.:Hug2:

Thank you! :)

I submitted it yesterday.

A period of worry now commences.

I think I need Mama Jude to :whip: those agents into line.

:D

Whoo-hoo! Keeping my fingers crossed, Gail. I'll add my :whip: to HJ's.;)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
If you're feeling pulled in the direction of a new story(s) why don't you take a break from your WIP and write something different?

I think time is my enemy more than engagement at the moment. I'd be in the November thread complaining I've only done a few lines on my new novel before I knew it...

It can be awfully tiring trying to get a draft just so. I know, because I'm having the same problem. Here's hoping it gets better - for both of us.:Hug2:

Thanks, muse. Good luck to both of us! :e2arms: