Mama Jude's Pep Talk

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Urgh. I still haven't written in two days. I'm about to sit down and try again, though. I'm feeling a little bit better today in general, and if I can get this scene down I'll be alright I think. I'm usually much more secure than this. I need to get at least a thousand words a day to pull off my goal for this month, though, which is kind of ridiculous considering it was a conservative goal from the beginning.

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
kaitie, I'm not a confident person and when my agent got, um, several rejections for my book, I was so convinced she was going to dump me that I couldn't bring myself to read her email. Which said at the end that I mustn't give up hope. I must keep writing and she had some clients who didn't sell until their 4th book. She was in it for the long haul because she liked my writing. On the tough days I write for Agent because she believes.

Hope this helps. You can do it.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it helps a ton.

Today was a lot better. I got to go running yesterday for the first time in days, which helped. Just makes me feel better, ya know? Then today I was smart and pulled out a puzzle, which automatically puts me into story-thinky mode the second I sit down with it, so I sorted out a couple of scenes in detail and took notes on them and everything. So I actually managed to write some today, and tomorrow should do even better. I'm kind of on a roll. :D

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I especially like dinner rolls with butter and honey.

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm dinner rolls....
kaitie, your running reminded me that's what I have to do--go for a walk or a hike every day. When I get panicked, I put off walking the dog because I'm PANICKED. which doesn't help. a walk does though.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
My doggie drives me crazy if I she doesn't get her walk, so I usually go out for at least that, but walking doesn't really do it for me. Well, I enjoy it, but in terms of getting a good exhausted work out it doesn't do it. I used to do kung fu but I don't have a place around here that offers it, but that was my stress reliever. Actually, that kind of explains a lot about why I've been more stressed than usual. But now that I can't do that I have to settle for running, and I don't get to do that as often, especially now that it's hotter and doggie gets worn out faster.

Jilly McGilly

Crumpled!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my friends, I missed you so much! I'm catching up on all the posts I've missed over the last couple of months -- and it just brings (happy) tears to my eyes, remembering what an awesome group y'all are.

I got bummed after I chickened out in submitting my work for the CWA Dagger competition. Kind of disappointed in myself, you know? But my WIP kept haunting me, creeping into my thoughts and otherwise not giving up on me. So I'm back to writing, really writing, again. Thanks, WIP.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The best thing about competitions and submissions and stuff is that the worst that can happen is they'll say no, right? I get really nervous sending my work off to beta readers, personally.

Think of it this way, though. If you're disappointed, use that. Give yourself a new goal. Write, keep writing, keep trying, and when you finish submit to something new, or an agent, or something like that.

Anyway we're glad to see you back, too. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my friends, I missed you so much! I'm catching up on all the posts I've missed over the last couple of months -- and it just brings (happy) tears to my eyes, remembering what an awesome group y'all are.

I got bummed after I chickened out in submitting my work for the CWA Dagger competition. Kind of disappointed in myself, you know? But my WIP kept haunting me, creeping into my thoughts and otherwise not giving up on me. So I'm back to writing, really writing, again. Thanks, WIP.

:snoopy: You're back! I'm glad. :)

This is the proof that you are a writer--your characters will not let you rest. Good. You belong with us. :evil Uh, wait, that came out wrong...

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Jilly, good job for getting back into it! Can I ask if the work you opted not to enter in CWA is the same one you're working on now? Or is this an entirely new WIP?

Jilly McGilly

Crumpled!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice words, everybody. :Hug2:

Jilly, good job for getting back into it! Can I ask if the work you opted not to enter in CWA is the same one you're working on now? Or is this an entirely new WIP?

MercyMe, my current WIP is the one I didn't enter in CWA. I guess I'll just save it until next year's competition, when it will be polished to a mega-high luster. :)

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Jilly, I think you made the right call then--you didn't "chicken out" at all! Your instinct was telling you the mss wasn't quite ready. You're going to find stuff you didn't see this time around and be soooo glad you "chickened out!"

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Ugh. I think I prefer the no response = no rejections (at least the ones that acknowledge I've sent the query/partial/full to begin with). Then if I get an email from agent X, I'll know it's good news, and I don't get that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that's tinged with a tiny bit of hope that gets dashed the second I read the email.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I just always assumed it was a no and then if it was a yes it was an amazing surprise. :D

You're right, though. Rejections suck.

tarak

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just always assumed it was a no and then if it was a yes it was an amazing surprise. :D

You're right, though. Rejections suck.

So do I, kaitie. And I assumed it would be a no from this agent. So I don't even know why I'm bothered by it.

Shot out another query. That usually makes me feel better, although I'm not sure why.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
You know, for me there was always one that did it for no good reason. Well, there was one that did for good reason, but I'd be fine for a few and then I'd get a rejection and it would just hit me and I'd feel awful about it.

I think it's part of the process, and honestly it's okay to let yourself have a bad day every once in awhile. Have some ice cream, treat yourself to something, and then know that in a day or two the rejections won't sting again for awhile. And trust that even though the process is long and difficult, you'll definitely get there.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the same, some get to me for no reason, disproportionately, and others don't bother me. My last (now trunked) novel was rejected by every agency it was sent to and literally had like four Rs arriving t once in the post some days, but that didn't necessarily ge to me as much as some. I think the one agent that asked for a full then rejected it within two days of acknowledging receipt was the worst one. I think though it depends if you're feeling good to begin with too. When you're having a grim day, one of those emails just takes the biscuit.

What I do wish is that there was a standard reply period, so that you know exactly when the response would come, and wouldn't get that gutted feeling every time you check emails from the day the submission was sent for maybe months onwards. Which I know is impossible, but it'd be nice.

tarak

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
kaitie and zalenka, that's exactly how it was. Just disproportionate to how much it should bother me. Maybe because the last few I shrugged off, so being upset surprised me.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I was the exact same way. My boyfriend got to do plenty of consoling while I was querying. For the most part I was fine, but every now and then it would just get to me and I'd be convinced it would never happen. Hell, I'd given up on that book entirely two weeks before I got the offer. No joke.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Other thing I try to tell myself when I query, is to remember the little folder I have somewhere with all my rejections from my first ever try at getting an agent / publisher. Sure, some of them really upset me but fifteen years on I'm still trying (OK, so maybe 15 years shows I just don't have anything worth publishing, I suppose that's an argument) but every time I just try to figure out what I was doing wrong and get better. And if, by some miracle, one of those queries ever comes back with an offer, then the rejections won't be so horrible either. But that won't happen without trying and more querying.

Sorry, I have no idea if I had a point there or if anything made sense.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished the first draft of my Roman historical thriller tonight. In two months no less, that has to be a record for me.

:snoopy:

Sending positive vibes out to MTS. You can do it. :Hug2:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, gothic! That's amazing! Congratulations. :) So, are you happy with it? It must have been a ton of fun to write.