Mama Jude's Pep Talk

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaw. *Hugs* for Jude. And anyone else who needs one. I do think that it would be fun to have a prompt thread. :)

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
One of the things that hangs me up at times is that "I'm writing a book." It's a book. It's a whole big plot filled with a gazillion details I have to make up and I'm taking it seriously.
Oh, don't write those, Namatu. Nobody can write those.

Instead, write a series of scenes with the same characters, connected by consequence, featuring a crisis or two, and some over-all character development. They're much easier. :)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Oh my God you know what is driving me crazy? I'm getting tense over all the tenses! I think the voice is first person past tense mixed with the present tense of the omni-third person tense of ... WTF! ARGHHHHH!

Then I stop and say, don't worry about it now, fix it later, which is fine if I understood what the hell it all meant so I CAN fix it later. I understand first, I understand third, but all the other off shoots ... No clue ... I'm clueless, clueless, clueless which aggravates the crap out of me because I'm by no means a stupid person. I think it is just the definitions because I read some of the threads on those subjects and it just boggles my brain even worse.

I read lots of fiction in this genre, and got a few how to's on writing fiction (I normally do non-fiction for work, local history) and I searched the threads for simple answers but it just makes it worse, then I think my story sucks. Its the mechanics of it really, for me as I think the story is coming along fine.

Now I've thought about putting it on share your work, but I'm too scared. Some people give excellent advice and help, others chew people up and spit them out. I don't get that when you say up front you need help and you know something isn't quite right, making people feel stupid isn't answering the question of, "I know I got something wrong here I just can't quite see what it is?"

So ya I'm a bit bummed. Ya I admit to the show vs tell issues. And thank you to Mama Jude and Kaitie for looking at a chapter a while back, editing in your suggestions, so I could see exactly what you meant. It helped.

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome thread guys, the tank has been empty for me where it concerns writing but your comments have moved the needle a wee bit :D Thank you.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my God you know what is driving me crazy? I'm getting tense over all the tenses! I think the voice is first person past tense mixed with the present tense of the omni-third person tense of ... WTF! ARGHHHHH!

:Hug2: Would it help if I told you you were overthinking things, or would you want to slug me? :)

People make fun of me for enjoying first person present so much, but yanno... it's easy to keep the tense straight.

My suggestion: read it out loud. Does it sound right? It probably is. You could also read it out loud into a tape recorder and play it back, but if you're at all like me you have an idea in your head of what your voice sounds like (breathy! sexy!) and when you hear it on tape you don't care at all what you're saying, you're all like HOLY CRAP THAT'S WHAT I SOUND LIKE?! YAKS HAVE SEXIER VOICES! But that could just be me.

Alternately, read it to a friend, someone who knows a bit of English (you know what I mean. True story: Today I say to my kid, I'm going to call that nice girl's mother and try to set up a play date for you. My kid: How's your Spanish? Me: I'll send an email then).

Wait, was that helpful? You can call me tomorrow if you want!

Awesome thread guys, the tank has been empty for me where it concerns writing but your comments have moved the needle a wee bit :D Thank you.

It's a Torrance sighting! I'm so glad to see you! :Hug2: Tell us what's going on in your life.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm another intentional tense mixer at the moment. I switch between past and present all over the place. Kinda confusing sometimes, but I would say do what Jude says and read it aloud to make sure it sounds right. You can do it! :D Gambarimashou!

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My suggestion: read it out loud.

Robert Crais suggests the same thing. Says that the eye will pass over things that the voice will catch. It's weird and you might think you're an idiot talking to yourself, but it's worth it.

(True story: Today I say to my kid, I'm going to call that nice girl's mother and try to set up a play date for you. My kid: How's your Spanish? Me: I'll send an email then)

I can SOOOOOOO see your daughter saying this (probably your son too, because I know your husband and you)... and yes, I would also say something like this.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I googled that and nothing useful came up. What does it mean? I'm guessing that it's in Japanese?

I bet if you looked up ganbatte it would have it (or maybe you'd need an m, I don't romanize well. :tongue). That's the command version, however, and mine was the "Let's all" version.

Anyway, it's kinda like Fight! but with the literally meaning of "Let's do our best." I really like it more than "Good luck" because "good luck" makes it sound like things are up to chance, whereas ganbarimashou is more like we're all going to try our hardest!

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
It's a Torrance sighting! I'm so glad to see you! :Hug2: Tell us what's going on in your life.

Lil bit of this and a dash of that... enjoying the family and digging in the dirt around the house planting some gardens.

I just wish I could get words to magically spring up on my computer. I drive around and think, "Oh, that's a great idea.. I will write it as soon as I get home!" Unfortunately, when I get home reality sets in and I am left to sit there and contemplate how much work I'm going to need to do to make it all happen. The deal is, I have a great story, I just hate the way I organized it... and I am overwhelmed by the daunting prospect of starting over to do it right. It's all rather maddening, especially given the fact that I'm 30K words in! It's like trying to thread a needle through a spider's web. Every time I get one matter resolved the eight legged, bug-eyed nasty that lurks in my brain says, "What about this? How ya gonna work that into the story, Mr. Writer Man?" I really should just take a hatchet to that bastard and to a lot of the book.... but it's HAAAAARD!!!! Bah! I rant.

Anyway... otherwise, all is well. :D

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Lol...you know, I sorta feel like we should just be able to occasionally sit around, give a nice good, "But it's HAARD" whine, and have that be completely acceptable. I think every one of us feels that sometimes, and it doesn't matter that it comes with the territory. Doesn't make it any less frustrating. Here's to hoping you get it sorted out. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It is absolutely acceptable to give a whine now and then. If it weren't I'd be in big trouble. And this is just the place to do it. No one will give you any guff for whining in this thread.

:Hug2: Torrance. We've probably all been where you are at one time or another. You'll fight your way through it, and the book will be much better for it! Have you tried an outline? (I know, a dirty word to me, but it seems to work for some others, haha.)

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
I am actually going to break down and do the outline (yick)... I'm going to need to draw myself a map where it concerns this story. Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I guess I'll throw on some headphones and listen to my imagination.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
You're right Jude, I'm over thinking. I get to analytical with things sometimes. I will put some tinfoil on my head and sit in a corner and talk out loud to myself, I mean read out loud, and see how it sounds. Thank you all.

On a happy made-me-feel-better note, we rented 2012 the other night. The hero is an author who wrote a book on Atlantis, that only sold 478 copies (much to his agent and publisher's dismay). The one main character even quoted it in the movie, then the author saves the day. So when I heard the part about the 478 books, I paused it and said, "Now I feel better! I sold over 700 Polly books." (Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch, self-published in 2001.)

So that made me feel better. :Sun: Silly huh?

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
Oh HeyJude, another first person present fan! It's almost all I write in. And even worse, plural first person present tense.

Go on, hate me already. (Although none of it's published, so at least you don't have to hate me for that. :D )

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Oh HeyJude, another first person present fan! It's almost all I write in. And even worse, plural first person present tense. :D

Sure, sure just rub it in-- you and you're first person present past tense flashback fast forward --- oh .... whatever. :Shrug: (kiddin' wit ya of course)

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
Flashbacks? Um... almost. What about mental visions, visual hallucinations and constructed delusions? They do ya?

I'm supposed to be melding two into one, and now I have three narrators. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew, to be honest.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Man - do I need this thread today and a hug or two

I had my first official book signing today at a small local bookstore in my hometown.

I felt stupid and conspicouse when I didn't feel invisible- they sat me in a chair right off the door with a table beside me with my books- I was there for two hours and sold two books- At first I would greet people, introduce myself and why OIo was there- but after the third blank stare and polite nod- i stopped and just pretended I wasn't there.

*sigh*
I don't care if I ever sell another book and I don't ever want to do this again (But I have another siging at a Barnes and Noble next weekend:(don't wanna go)

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Barnes & Nobles may be better with a larger volume of people and a larger variety of types of readers. Sometimes it's demographics. Is it a younger community or older? High or low population? Can afford to buy books or only browse for something to do because their broke? I've done quite a few book signings before. Some I sold a lot, some I was lucky to sell 1. It's a mixed bag. The more different types of people the more chance of a sale. Don't get discourage on the first one.
Part of it is psychological. Sit as little as possible, you want to be eye level with your prospective buyer, not below them. You can engage with them better at eye level too. Be perky and talk to them.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I do like this thread - can I camp here?

Sheadakota, that happened to me a few years ago, with my first YA novel. I had been living OS and flew in for the launch of the book unexpectedly (long story) and the publishers said "Quick - go to this bookshop!! Sign books!!".

Stayed three hours, sold two books fewer than you. Ghastly experience! But you know what - ten, twelve years on you'll have fogotten all about it. You know, unless someone reminds you ;)

Also - on the question of writing every day? - sound advice, but it works best for me if I stretch the definition of, you know "writing". If it covers things like gardening and reading and musing and then hell-yes-I-write-every-day.....

Oh - I just realised I can't camp here because I don't write thrillers and mysteries.... But you know what, it could be worth changing genres, just for the company....

Last edited:

bigb

Gun in Mouth Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I had my first official book signing today at a small local bookstore in my hometown.

Having a book signing is very impressive on it's own, I believe. Having a chance to autograph something somebody is buying that you produced is awesome. Don't get discouraged, get attention, like HistorySlueth said. No sitting