Mama Jude's Pep Talk

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
good luck Kaitie! and Exile87 - you almost sound like me - customer service, ah poohy lol It's hard because people can be so demanding and I'm not into ass-kissing and of course best of luck to you too :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:partyguy: Cass! Woot!!!

And good thoughts to kaitie, who makes her long journey today... Kaitie, wherever you are, we're thinking about you!

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Thanks heyjude. :) I hope everyone is doing well today. I am on pretty heavy meds due to my injury so if I post weird, blame that. :D

I am also excited because I have a meeting in an hour with a professor I do part time work for, and he's wanting to negotiate on having me ghostwrite a book for him and a business associate.

I hope to get in some creative writing today. My characters are rambling around in my head saying, HEY, where'd you go? We have things to do, people to see and mayhem to cause.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Cassi! That's great news!

We look forward to kaitie's return when she's able to revive Internet access.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Mama Jude needs a hug please. I'm off for Pgh again tomorrow for my Grammy's birthday (94!). She's really not doing well :( so we feel extra blessed to have this time with her :).

I've been so stressed I haven't been writing. Every time I open the doc I just see a kind of blur. Most of the time I can write through the stress, and it helps, but this time not so much. Ah.

I know. Someone banana me, quick! :banana:

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
well, here I find myself in Mama Jude's Pep talk thread...I've just been so scattered lately. I set out to write a number of words for the month, which I've hardly even dented. In fact, I wrote more in the month of July than I have so far in August. But I've also been weighed down in edits, which I find take so much discipline.

maybe I find it had to focus and accomplish something because I'm trying to take on too much at once. well, working on edits, I started writing 3 novels at once! And all 3 without outlines! I've written 4 books total and now I'm taking on almost as many, at once?....

I don't really know what it is. I know there's more stories in me, I know there's more good lines. And as my husband reassures me, I have a lot to say...but I just feel like procrastinating...I need a dancing banana, a poke and a small explosion lol

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
well, here I find myself in Mama Jude's Pep talk thread...I've just been so scattered lately. I set out to write a number of words for the month, which I've hardly even dented. In fact, I wrote more in the month of July than I have so far in August. But I've also been weighed down in edits, which I find take so much discipline.

maybe I find it had to focus and accomplish something because I'm trying to take on too much at once. well, working on edits, I started writing 3 novels at once! And all 3 without outlines! I've written 4 books total and now I'm taking on almost as many, at once?....

I don't really know what it is. I know there's more stories in me, I know there's more good lines. And as my husband reassures me, I have a lot to say...but I just feel like procrastinating...I need a dancing banana, a poke and a small explosion lol

Banana, check: :banana: Poke, check: :poke: Small explosion... let's see... nope. Tried to fit my 5 year old son in here, but he didn't fit.

I can see I'm going to have to take the Todd method with you:

FOCUS!!!

Do one thing at a time. I will email this to you every day if you like. :tongue

That's too many books, outlined or not, for most people to be able to handle. I can't even edit one and write another, though some people can. (These are people who didn't burn through so many brain cells in college. I am not jealous.)

My advice would be to pick the one book you're most passionate about and write your heart out on it. Let it sit and move on to the next one.

And will you take a :Hug2: instead of an explosion?

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
Thanks HJ! It might not hurt...the email every day to FOCUS lol...I could even set up a reoccurring reminder in my outlook so when I open it first thing in the morning it comes up "Focus" lol

And no explosion...dang...but of course I'll accept a Hug!

you're right, though, you know that...it is too much to take on at once. sometimes I just feel time goes so fast and I want to be published, like NOW lol...my OCD/perfectionist side keeps barking at me "Get it done, get it done." (I need a gag for it!)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
sometimes I just feel time goes so fast and I want to be published, like NOW lol...my OCD/perfectionist side keeps barking at me "Get it done, get it done." (I need a gag for it!)

I think we've all had those moments (days, years). :) But remember, you can't get published until you have one book as perfect as you can make it. That will get you a whole lot closer than a bunch of unfinished projects.

You're on your way. Remember, patience! (And FOCUS!) :D

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I say focus too. One excellent book is far better than 4 so so, no end in sight books. And the no end in sight part is going to bog you down.

I did WriYe this year (like NaNo but for the whole year) and there are so many people with toooo many WIPS going at once, thinking that THAT is some kind of accomplishment (an I got more than you type thing) and you just know they won't finish a single one. Now what good is that? What good is it to those future readers when they will never see a single book from them?

I agree with Jude, pick your most favorite, and focus on that rather then spending time on all 4 at once, because really, won't that take you 4 times longer to get just one of the 4 published?

I like the thought of finishing one, then let it set a bit before you edit it. So while that one is resting, write the favorite of the 4.

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
Thanks History Sleuth! :) I've given it thought this afternoon and actually feel some stress relief just thinking about focusing. I've decided that while I edit for querying, I'll let my creativity flow with 1 work.

bigb

Gun in Mouth Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I've been so freaking stressed I've started a hundred outlines, each in my mind a better idea than the last. Once I wore myself out, I decided to pick two ideas and work on one at a time, if I feel blocked on one I can jumped to the other since the story lines are unrelated. I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but will say it's far more sane than where i started.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I have to say I'm nervous as hell. I'm going to start querying on Sept 1st with my very first completed novel. I've read over it and as far as I can tell it is perfect...I hope. I queried it before it was finished with the first draft, I know original sin, and got all form rejections. I know my query sucked and my samples were full of problems but I didn't know any better. I actually told off a well respected agent who said no. I had a bipolar moment and I should have said sorry. Anyways I'm feeling very insecure about my manuscript. I'm working with someone to get my query just right and will be posting it in a couple days in QLH. I guess I just needed a pep talka nd rant about this. I know everyone goes through this but when I talk to my husband he says it's not a big deal. How is it not a big deal? It is the biggest deal. If anyone has any advice for getting over nerves and just doing please let me know. Thanks!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Bigb, excellent advice and so good to see you around again. :)

Elindson: :Hug2: Oh, it's a HUGE deal, of course it is! It's nerve-wracking and horrible and exhilarating and wonderful! It could only be "not a big deal" for someone who's never had to do it. :D

Have you had any beta readers for the book?

My suggestion going forward is to research your agents--know who you're querying and that they're right for your book--write the best Q you can (which you're doing), send the Qs, then forget about it as much as possible. (I know--very hard.) The most important thing you can do is write the next book. It will help immensely, trust me!

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
[QUOTE :)

Elindson: :Hug2: Oh, it's a HUGE deal, of course it is! It's nerve-wracking and horrible and exhilarating and wonderful! It could only be "not a big deal" for someone who's never had to do it. :D

Have you had any beta readers for the book?

My suggestion going forward is to research your agents--know who you're querying and that they're right for your book--write the best Q you can (which you're doing), send the Qs, then forget about it as much as possible. (I know--very hard.) The most important thing you can do is write the next book. It will help immensely, trust me![/QUOTE]

I am working on the sequel but I am working on who I am querying. I have a list of about 20 people so far. As much as I think betas help I didn't get one. I'm too nervous about someone stealing my work than to get one. Maybe if I get partials or fulls rejected I'll get a beta. I did post in SYW and after a few mishaps a guy said it had promise so I'm banking on that.

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thought about including this in its own thread, but it probably belongs here.

Here's some background first: I've written two novels, one a thriller and the other a middle grade/young adult thriller (it's in the middle of them, could be either, don't ask). I have been talking with an agent who read my first novel, liked my writing style, but not the novel itself. So she didn't kick me to the curb, but rather said she would work with me to make it better or rep the second one. She didn't like that one either, or at least said it wasn't anywhere close to ready. However, she said that she still says I have talent and that she wants to continue our quasi-friendship, but didn't offer anything.

The following situation happened about a week ago. As some of you know I have been writing short stories for the past few months because I just don't have the time to devote to writing a novel every single night. With the shorties, I can finish the first draft in a weekend, then edit later, etc. Anyway, I mentioned this to my agent friend. I wasn't looking for an offer or advice or anything of that sort. I was just telling her that I was excited about writing again, and that I really enjoyed writing these stories.

Her response was, to paraphrase, "Short stories aren't worth the time. They don't pay anything. The only place you'll get published is on ezines that do it for free."

Which is accurate. And cold and cynical and pessimistic. Writing is for the enjoyment of the writer, not just to make money. If it were just for making money, why would anyone do it? If there's no fun in it, then why even sit your tail in the seat? It's sad when people get this attitude. Sure, it's a business, but if you can't have fun doing it, then why do it at all?

I am writing for me right now. Am I subbing a couple of the short stories to a contest? Sure, but if I don't win, I don't care. It's just for fun and for my friends.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
Remember though, that's just one opinion. From somebody in the publishing world, yes, but one opinion. I'm statistician, I know that samples of size one don't count! :)
That story of yours I read is truly amazing. I have all faith it will get published and become your platform.

Last edited:

SJ Gordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sjgordononline.com
Todd, good on you. You have a wonderful attitude, I think.

It's hard because you know you'll write better if you love what you're doing. Yet, if what you currently love to do isn't what currently gives you the benefits you desire (such as a paycheck), how do you keep up your morale?

So, keep going, Todd. Do what you love to do and keep writing. It's wonderful.

Right now, I'm hiding from my own manuscript. *sigh* I really want to begin the second edit but I have lists of notes miles long. Logically, I know my novel is worth it. I know that the effort I put into this will serve me well. It's a good story. I have faith in it. But it's still a grueling process.

*hugs all around* Nice to know there is a place to come whine a little. ;)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I wouldn't think shorts getting published only in ezines is true. EVERY magazine you pick up has short stories in it, even my hubbies hunting magazines. If it is in a reputable mag, even if you didn't get paid, wouldn't it be a legitimate publishing credit? That has to count for something right? You know, for all that platform building and such -- getting your name/writing out there. That's never a waste of time.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I think betas help I didn't get one. I'm too nervous about someone stealing my work than to get one.

It's really, really unlikely that someone would steal your work. But I'm glad you got positive responses in SYW!

I am writing for me right now. Am I subbing a couple of the short stories to a contest? Sure, but if I don't win, I don't care. It's just for fun and for my friends.

:Hug2: You're right. Writing should be because we love it. If someday we can make a living at it, wonderful!

That's never a waste of time.

This. Also, History has 1000 posts! :D

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Writing is for the enjoyment of the writer, not just to make money. If it were just for making money, why would anyone do it? If there's no fun in it, then why even sit your tail in the seat? It's sad when people get this attitude. Sure, it's a business, but if you can't have fun doing it, then why do it at all?
It's a heck of a lot of work to do and not enjoy it.

Right now my problem is that writing has fallen to my lowest priority. It's very hard for me to stick it back up near the top. I need the habit, and I had it, but I broke it earlier this year to take a "short break" after finishing a WIP, and I haven't managed to return. Life stuff has gotten in the way. I might fit a day in over the course of several months, or a tiny sketch of a scene here and there, but most of my writing lately has happened in my head. That doesn't fill the page quite the way I'd like it to. ;)