Mama Jude's Pep Talk

Exile87

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
What a great thread!

An agency I'd been longing to write to finally opened up again for queries. I hurried off and mailed mine...only to get my rejection letter yesterday.

So I've resolved to finally post my query here and get some much needed feedback. It can only help!

Can't wait!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
What a great thread!

An agency I'd been longing to write to finally opened up again for queries. I hurried off and mailed mine...only to get my rejection letter yesterday.

So I've resolved to finally post my query here and get some much needed feedback. It can only help!

Can't wait!

:Hug2: for the R. But great attitude! Keep us posted!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the interview. I'm persistent! My mom tends to prefer calling it stubborn. :tongue

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Three sentences a day, huh? I think maybe I can do that (I got about that done last night).

The current job is going to last until around July 16th after which I return to my home store for awhile (although I may find myself "volunteered" to go help with another store's remodel for another 3 months; as I've said elsewhere, if this happens, I might as well already be in Store Planning as I'd have been away from my departments for 6 months (people in SP spend about 9 months on the road and 3 months at their home store).

Three sentences a day. I can do that. I don't even need to channel Yoda and "try" (<Yoda voice> Try? Try? There is no try. There is only do, or do not).

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Yep FOTS --- listen to your inner Yoda -- do 3 a day. Then gloat over your paragraph at the end of the week and tell your innerself, "See, you can do it." You'll be back in the swing in no time.

As to when you are "volunteered" by others, my hubby uses a phrase with his scouts when he tells them he has set up community service for them (which is part of scouting). He calls it, if they ask why he tells them, "Because I voluntold you." :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Mama Jude needs the hug today. I was rejected, blown off, AND stung by red ants. :( I am not yet having a good day.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Oh Jude! That is awful! :Hug2: I have yet to experience the rejection phase. I hope I can handle it when the time comes. Was it what you were doing all the editing for?? Sigh .... more hugs for Jude.:Hug2:

I found red ants in my yard yesterday when we transplanted a rose bush someone dug up. Needless to say we switched spots and still need to figure out how to get rid of them. Have to be careful as we have dogs. So use some booboo medicine and here is a :kiss: to make it all better.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, thanks History. :) It was the project my agent gave me. Luckily the book is still in play.

And your smooch turned my frown upside down! :)

(I know, I even want to smack myself sometimes. :D)

Midnight Star

We are once in a lifetime.
Registered
Reaction score
Mama Jude needs the hug today. I was rejected, blown off, AND stung by red ants. :( I am not yet having a good day.

And I thought my day was going bad. :Hug2:

Monday is a sad way to waste 1/7 of your life.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Don't sweat it too much Jude. It is really hard when someone gives you something and says, "Write about this." We do a history quarterly at work. I often hear from our regulars (be the genealogists or history buffs), you should do a story about this ..... Sometimes I do, but it can be difficult if its something I' not the least bit interested in. Doesn't have the same zing as the topics I choose myself for articles.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I find it oddly comforting that if our stories don't please publishers and our company doesn't please our friends, at least our flesh appeals to red ants.

Now, if only we could get them to buy books too...

istockphoto_5831907-ant-reading-a-book.jpg

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ruv, that's hilarious. And a wonderfully upbeat take on the day. Hey, at least someone wants me! :D

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Jude! *Hugs* Sorry you've had such a bad day. Those ants are the spawn of satan, aren't they? And rejection sucks. :/

Here's to hoping tomorrow's a better day. :)

SJ Gordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sjgordononline.com
Oooo, bummer. I'm sorry Jude. What a way to start the week. *sends virtual chocolate* Perhaps one of the ants that bit you was scarlet rather than red. You know, "Tomorrow is another day."

Urgh. Even I think that one is bad...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've been considering it for awhile, but I've pretty much officially decided to throw in the towel on my work that's out on submission. I've gotten nothing but rejections for almost two months, including every single snail mail version I sent out, and that's with the old version, the new version, naked queries, everything. It's not gonna happen, and I can accept that.

Anyway, I'm pretty much alright with it, all things considered, mostly because it's taken me about two weeks to really make the decision. Anyway, here's to having better luck with the next one. At least a few more requests.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, kaitie. :Hug2: I'm sorry. I know it's hard... but it's really freeing, too, isn't it?

As for me I woke up feeling better, physically and emotionally. It's a brand new beautiful day in paradise! And I'm able to see the positives from yesterday's travails. Industry people said incredibly complimentary things about my writing. That's what I'll choose to remember. :tongue

Now, for kaitie and me both, back to it! :whip: But first :e2coffee:.

(Oh, and I had chocolate for the first time in... I dunno, maybe months? last night and... sniff, sniff... it was kinda gross. :()

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Try dark chocolate? Might sound strange, but when I stopped eating super sweet stuff, the sweet/semi-sweet chocolate just doesn't taste as good, but I've developed an outright love for dark chocolate--which I used to not be able to eat at all.

I'm glad you're having a better day. :) I'm not sure freeing is the word I'd use for me. More like a loss and letting go of all that I'd hoped for with it, but that's okay, too. I do a pretty good job about not really expecting things, but it doesn't mean I don't hope for them, lol!

Anyway, I'll hopefully kick ass with my next story, and the best news is that on Kristin Nelson's list of overdone storylines of the moment, superheroes was not one of them! I was dreading it haha. ;) So woohoo! There is hope for me yet. :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Try dark chocolate?

Since I'm going vegan, I think I'm just as happy to not love chocolate any more. :)

Anyway, I'll hopefully kick ass with my next story, and the best news is that on Kristin Nelson's list of overdone storylines of the moment, superheroes was not one of them! I was dreading it haha. ;) So woohoo! There is hope for me yet. :D

Yes! Each book is going to be better than the last (uh, unless you have a little fail episode like I did earlier this year, but NO MATTER! Press on!), and your chances increase. I'm glad it's not overdone. I, for one, am looking forward to reading it! :)

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really have anything to say. It's been like that lately. Popping in to :hi: and :gone:.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Oh my God someone get me a rock and a chisel. I got nothing to work with here. I am on hubbys old PDA with the wireless. Desktop needs a power supply, laptop blue screened. Got to get something working just to type!

SJ Gordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sjgordononline.com
Gads! Don't tell me you'll be stuck with a pencil and a notebook! :e2writer:

I don't know if I could still work that way. I've grown so accustomed to the computer. Hope you get things running soon, History!