• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hartline Literary Agency

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope I'm not overstepping my posting bounds here since I usually ask questions like these in Beware and Background Checks, but since there's one for Alive Communications, I thought it might be okay.

Anyone here queried them? How long does it usually take back to hear from them?

Just wondering!
Thanks!
Totally appropriate. I think some of the B&BC threads (at least some of the posts) actually belong in the Genre forums. If it's a question or warning about their legitimacy, a B&BC thread might also be appropriate, but asking about response times and such totally belongs here.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Response times at Hartline can depend on whom you're querying. Tamela Murray is my agent, like Robin's, and I'm quite pleased with her so far. I think I sent her three or four different projects before we got to "yes." I hadn't met her at a conference but queried her blind, so to speak.

Terry Burns is said to be quicker, but he's not as romance savvy, I don't think, so whether you submit a project to him will depend on what sort of story it is. I know one client of his who writes cozy mystery and he seems completely at home selling that.

HTH. If our comments have engendered further questions, feel free to ask them.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I just got back into town, and I wanted to check in.

I initially queried Tamela for my adult novel, The Road to Damascus on April 29th.

I queried Terry Burns(read where he's going for YA during pitch sessions) for The Guardians on May 29th.

Yes, patience isn't my strong point, but I'd really love to land a Christian agent.

I feel like Goldilocks in some ways. A secular agent tells me it's too Christian...a Christian agency tells me it's too secular. I'm trying to find one that's just right!!!!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I wish you the very best. I write a bit on the edgy side for the Christian market, but so far only small presses have been publishing my work. I'm hoping Tamela can change that. The cool thing is, there's a huge continuum in Christian publishing, from CBA-type bonnet books to really unusual stuff that doesn't fit in the envelope. I'm hopeful of making my rep on the edgy side.

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
I wish you the very best. I write a bit on the edgy side for the Christian market, but so far only small presses have been publishing my work. I'm hoping Tamela can change that. The cool thing is, there's a huge continuum in Christian publishing, from CBA-type bonnet books to really unusual stuff that doesn't fit in the envelope. I'm hopeful of making my rep on the edgy side.

Thanks Deb.

Since you queried her blind, do you remember how long it was before you heard back? She's not a non-responder is she?

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
No, she's not a non-responder. She did, however, take due time to read the material I submitted. Give her a few weeks (6-8) and then e-mail a noodge.

PS, I should add I queried her blind with a deal on the table: Sheaf House and SEASONS IN THE MIST (see below). That may have made a difference, but I don't honestly believe so.

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Well, I got a reply from Terry today for a proposal request! Said he liked the material, concept, etc. Yea! :snoopy:

Luckily, I've got one prepared from my near miss with Credo Communications...just gotta do the market analysis one, and I should be okay.

So, I queried Terry after Tamela and heard back sooner.

How does Hartline feel about simultaneous submissions? Would it be okay to mention The Road to Damascus to Terry, or should I wait to hear from Tamela...I think I'm almost at the 6 weeks mark.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Excellent! Glad to hear this. I'd mention to Terry that you'd also queried Tamela. If he offers, then you'll want to tell her so, so your project can be withdrawn. I'd wait on DAMASCUS 'til you hear from Terry on the project you sent him.

You can always shoot Tamela a quick e- and tell her Terry has a project of yours under consideration, but should you and he not be a fit, could you revisit? I know she'll be fine with that.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I'd query first, but have the proposal ready. If they're feelin' the love, they might ask for it very rapidly. Follow the guidelines to the letter, including that nasty marketing plan if it's still part of the requested material.

Blessings on your efforts!

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Thank you. I think I will query first. I've done fiction proposals before, but the marketing plans always throw me, no matter what I read about them.

Hey ABekah,
I queried first along with the first three chapters of both my YA and my adult book...to different Hartline agents. Terry got back asking for a proposal based on their guidelines, so I had to rework b/c it was different than the two other ones I've done.

Yeah, the marketing plan always wigs me out too...but the Competitive Analysis I hated...makes me feel like I'm pimping my book as the most awesome unpublished book in the world!!!

ABekah

Registered
Reaction score
Currently? Walks over to check address book...Mar
I wanted to update everyone...

Terry sent a very polite and encouraging email to me. He liked my project and ideas, but unfortunately has another client with a similiarly themed book at the moment. He said he would let me know if anything changes.

He will be one of the first people I query with my next project.

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
I wanted to update everyone...

Terry sent a very polite and encouraging email to me. He liked my project and ideas, but unfortunately has another client with a similiarly themed book at the moment. He said he would let me know if anything changes.

He will be one of the first people I query with my next project.

I got a nice email rejection from Terry as well...citing the market and having to be very selective...ugh, it sucks! LOL

mljoshua

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
myinspirationalsayings.blogspot.com
Hi Everyone - I'm new here - Just completed my first book and sent queries out on Monday/Tuesday of this week - Queried hartline with my project, and got an email today asking for the manuscript. Needless to say, It's on its way! I am very excited, I have never been through this before, but with everything I had read, certainly didn't expect the request for a manuscript so soon.

Anyone have any pointers for me?

Last edited:

mljoshua

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the posts about Hartline - I queried them this week and the agent emailed a request for the manuscript. I like what I have read about them so far.

<fingers crossed, and head bowed>
Michael

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Pointers? Have a few comparable books ready. Have as close as you can get to a sales and/or marketing plan. Know your target audience for this particular project. Have a bio.

The more proactive you are, the more professional you show to Hartline, and ... well, you know the end of this sentence.

May your work find favor!

mljoshua

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks - So far I guess I am just playing the waiting game. I had a complete book proposal ready and followed their requested format exactly... But have never done this before - so am pretty green. The book came upon me by surprise, once I started to write I just couldn't stop.

Just don't know what to think about all of this. Have gotten a few rejections so far, that doesn't bother me at this point - I've been in accounting all my life and used to taking rejection/requests for more info as just part of everyday life - whether it's bankers or agents, it's the same song :) My wife says it would drive her crazy...

Do I just query agents that work in my genre until I run out of agents? Or take it slowly? I have sent out 25 queries, received 4 rejections and one request for full ms.

Is there a method to this, or just full-throttle??

Thanks

Michael

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I did similarly to Calla. And I had to pitch Tamela (of Hartline) some four projects before we got to "yes." So even if you get a no-thanks from Hartline on the first project you discuss, send them others if you have them, and if they're still on your Agent A-List. You never know when an idea is going to catch them when a previous idea did not.

mljoshua

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the suggestions, at least that gives me some idea of what to do - I will hold off on submitting any more until I get some other responses or lack of them, as the case may be. I am really interested in Hartline, everything that I have read about them has been very positive. I am still holding out hope that they will be interested after reading the full ms.

Time to get a new focus and new project underway. (Besides the fact that I just started an MBA program...)

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
They said no thanks to my first and they're looking at my second.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep us posted with the submissions, all. :)