• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hartline Literary Agency

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
nachonaco_Grippers said:
http://www.deborahbrevoort.com/

Does this sound fishy to you guys?

I'd like a publisher that sells to B&M stores. I'm hoping that they can accept my manuscript as I am having trouble locating a good agent.

http://www.hartlineliterary.com/guidelines.htm

Or that one?

I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing the question. Deborah Brevoot appears to be a playwright. She has an agent (two of them), but doesn't appear to be an agent or publisher herself.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
B&M stores, I believe, refer to actual bookstores vs. internet ones.

I think I'm going with Hartline, does anyone have any experience?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I notice that all Hartline agents seem to have a strong Christian background. Make sure that your book is the kind they would respond to positively - or is that the specific reason you singled them out?

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
I notice that all Hartline agents seem to have a strong Christian background. Make sure that your book is the kind they would respond to positively - or is that the specific reason you singled them out?

Actually I did a google search.

My book deals more with science, would they still reject it?

Does Hartline pay an advance?

Where is their HQ based at?

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Hartline is based in Pittsburgh, and they aren't they ones who pay an advance; that's up to whatever publisher ends up taking your work. Yes, they do nonfiction as well as fiction, both CBA and ABA. Your best bet would be to query them. My agent said they're pretty selective, so you'd probably want to make your query as good as you're able. Hope this helps.

John

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
nachonaco_Grippers said:

I don't know - you'll just have to try them out. People's beliefs do matter in their jobs. It's unlikely that a very Christain agent would take on a book whose main theme is the non-existence of God, for instance. Most agents say the books they take on have to stroke a chord with them. Vice versa: I noticed that an agent who I sent a partial to said, among their criteria, that they don't take books on spirituality. My novel has a very spiritual element to it - could be that be one of the reasons they turned it down? Who knows?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
nachonaco_Grippers said:
That's not really the right question. Their beliefs aren't the issue--what you need to know is whether they will be able to represent your book effectively. Different literary genres/markets have different requirements, trends, imprints, and editors; and agents specialize in particular genres/markets according to their interests and experience. So an agent may be terrific at selling Christian-oriented books to Christian publishers and imprints, but might not have the contacts needed to sell a science-oriented nonfiction book.

Always look for an agent with a verifiable track record of commercial sales--but more than that, look for an agent who has experience selling books in your subject or genre.

Does Hartline pay an advance?
Publishers pay advances. Hartline is not a publisher, but a literary agency. If it were to sell your book, you'd pay it a commission.

- Victoria

Rachael

**Engaged**
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlsadvice.7.forumer.com
aruna said:

I'll have to check these guys out... that's what I'm looking for.

first time writer

Registered
Reaction score
hartline literary agency

hi there

does anybody know anything about the Hartline Literary agency?
they seem to be legit but then again i thought the Robins agency and the New York literary agency were legit.

Also is it normal for literary agencies to charge for normal everyday things like copying and mailing regarding a persons manuscript

thanks

first time writer

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
first time writer said:
Also is it normal for literary agencies to charge for normal everyday things like copying and mailing regarding a persons manuscript

They can, under certain circumstances. However it is normal for such charges to be deducted from the author's advance after the book sells.

For the rest of your question:

Hartline appears to be a legitimate agency.

HeatherCW

19 self-pubbed novels and counting!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heatherwardell.com
Including a "represented by" cover page in queries??

While researching this agency (http://www.hartlineliterary.com/) I came across this oddity:

"Include the title, author's name, your physical address, your email address, the genre of your novel (e.g. cozy romantic mystery, Civil War historical, women's fiction), and the length (word count). Also put Represented by: Agent’s name, Hartline Literary Agency. Agent’s address, phone and e-mail."

The first part, no issue. But to include 'represented by' the agency, as part of a query package? That feels strange to me.

And yes, this IS, according to their site, to be part of the initial contact.

I haven't seen this anywhere else, and I'm reluctant to do it. Any thoughts?

Heather

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Hartline

Heather,

I agree that the information is listed somewhat strangely, but I think they're asking which agent you are submitting to.

I used to be represented by Hartline, and they are a very reputable and successful agency. The only reason I'm no longer with them is because my agent left to start her own agency. I went with her.

Nancy

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
This spring I signed with Hartline, and couldn't be happier. But my query package to them didn't include this. I think they meant this "represented by" verbiage to go on the proposal package to a potential publisher.

My take.

HeatherCW

19 self-pubbed novels and counting!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heatherwardell.com
Deb, I assumed it meant that as well but when I went through the site carefully it definitely asked for that page to be sent with queries as well.

I'm glad you're happy with them! What genre is your book?

Heather

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
The sale my agent just landed for me is a Christian time-travel romance -- and yeah, it's really going to be a book! It'll come out in spring 2010 and I couldn't be more pleased. My agent is terrific.

Reaction score
Hartline forces writers to relinquish arbitration rights

I'm just writing to let you know that the Hartline Literary Agency has
clause in their contract asking writers to give up their arbitration
rights in any future disagreement between the client and the agency.
They force writers to sign a clause that takes all arbitration to a
Christian oriented panel and forgo all legitimate, secular arbitration
in the courts. If a writer does not sign to this clause, they will
suddenly go back on their offer of representation and cite some other
reason for not signing the contract. They are a successful agency, but
unfortunately they are trouble when it comes to author's rights.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Since I am a Christian writing Christian fiction, hoping to sell to C-fic publishers, I saw this clause and I'm fine with it. For me, better a Christian arbitration panel than one who doesn't understand my background.

Hartline has never claimed to be other than an agency representing C-fic to C-fic oriented publishers. At no time has any other client of theirs indicated to me that they have any problem with the arbitration clause.

My take. Your mileage may vary, particularly if you do not write for this market.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Hartline Literary

Hi guys,

I hope I'm not overstepping my posting bounds here since I usually ask questions like these in Beware and Background Checks, but since there's one for Alive Communications, I thought it might be okay.

Anyone here queried them? How long does it usually take back to hear from them?

Just wondering!
Thanks!