MLK Remembrance

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Today is Easter. Happy Holidays to those that celebrate. Today is significant for another reason. On April 4, of 1968, Dr Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated.

38 years after his assassination, I had read his words, that the choice is between nonviolence and nonexistence -- and my reading of his words began what I think will be a life-long journey along the paths he helped create.

Here's to you, Dr King.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second that emotion. Dr. King was among the greatest Americans this country has produced and we would not have advanced to this point in our social development without people like him and the untold millions whose hearts and minds he touched.

It does say something about skewed priorities when a thread commemorating a man who gave his life to make this nation a better place attracts less attention than some idiot who cut his junk off. Something sad.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
could just be that today is a holiday. hell, it took you almost 10 hours to weigh in here. you got to the penis-cutting-off thread in less than 2.

Reaction score
The penis cutting off story is new.

We all know MLK has been dead for awhile.

Thank you.

Good peep day.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
could just be that today is a holiday. hell, it took you almost 10 hours to weigh in here. you got to the penis-cutting-off thread in less than 2.

Stalkers are so creepy. :gone:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, AMC, for your timely and thoughtful thread!

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
king's courage and achievements cannot be overstated.

our lives only overlapped for 2 years, but i've seen almost continuously since then the manifestation of his ideas and the hope he instilled in a country that would be a very different and more fractured place without having had him in it.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

our lives only overlapped for 2 years, but i've seen almost continuously since then the manifestation of his ideas and the hope he instilled in a country that would be a very different and more fractured place without having had him in it.

Amen.

What I remember most about the day King died was my mother and father glued to the television all night. She just kept crying and he stared stonily at the screen saying nothing. We kids just kind of crept around quietly staying out of the way.

If felt like somebody in our family had just passed away and I guess in a way somebody had.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I thought of King this morning, when I woke up, when I realized it was April 4. I just saw this thread now. I don't need to weigh in on a thread to show my remembrance to a great man. I remembered him this morning...and all day long.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

A fine statement. My kudos. I've often wondered just how MLK is really regarded by people too young to actually remember first-hand his life and achievements. I was 22 when he was murdered, just about to be drafted into military service. My draft notice arrived exactly five days before Robert Kennedy was murdered. I was inducted into the Army on August 28, 1968, the very night of the Chicago police riot associated with the Democratic National Convention, which I got to watch on a ratty black-and-white TV at an induction station while I waited for a flight that would take me to Louisiana for Army Basic Training.

I'll say now that this experience affected my belief-system something fierce. But, to this day, I cannot listen to the Dream Speech without a severe emotional reaction. And it makes me find the TeaParty people laughable. You want real governmental oppression? Get you a time machine and go back to 1968. Or earlier, if it works that well.

caw

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
A fine statement. My kudos. I've often wondered just how MLK is really regarded by people too young to actually remember first-hand his life and achievements.

I think about this so often, being something of a youngster who looks backward for advice about the future. All I can see now are the effects of his (and not only his) work, weighed against a reality I have to construct through stories I hear, read, see on TV, in documentaries, etc. I can't imagine it, quite frankly.

But I can also see the difference in the older people I've known my whole life.

As an anecdote...Three generations my elder, in my family alone, I remember no shortage of racism and sexism, general prejudice or at least xenophobia. But I can also see, even in my grandparents who are still alive, a real difference in their perspectives. There used to be a real looseness with their bigoted language, but lately (say in the past 5 years) that has changed remarkably. And my parents, though one I still think harbors a bit of racial/nationalistic prejudice, knew well enough to teach me something fundamentally different than what they were taught.

Conscience has the voice of our elders; then our own voice; and lastly, the voice of our children.

...People like MLK help reflect the necessary climate for civil changes to occur; they then precipitate these ideas into action, that is, into reality. The survivors, seeing what they've been given, are meant to uphold a justice which isn't actually given freely. Which presently and even frequently must be recovered.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I don't know if I can still get my gold star since I'm a day late to the thread, but I thought of Dr. King often yesterday.

I was born almost two years after his assassination, which made him mostly a mythical figure in what I learned of my world. But when I got into the world that wasn't just mine, and I met more people, it was easier to imagine what it must have meant to have seen what he was doing firsthand. One of my best friends was on the Washington Mall the day of his famous speech at the Lincoln Memorial and I can't know how she romanticizes the day, but it raises the chills every time she talks about it. It's hard for me to reconcile all the iconic moments of history with a real sweep of the second hand. So, all I've got is remembrance days.

And it's still pretty good.