Threatening letters sent to 30 governors

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/03/us/03threat.html

Governors across the country said Friday that they had received letters from an extremist group warning that that they might be forcibly removed from office if they did not step down within three days. Officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Homeland Security confirmed that they had sent out an intelligence note with information about potential threats made to governors by a group calling itself Guardians of the Free Republics.

On its Web site, the Guardians of the Free Republics sets forth a plan to “restore America.” It describes the plan as “a bold achievable strategy for behind-the-scenes peaceful reconstruction of the de jure institutions of government without controversy, violence or civil war.”

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I'd loooooove to know what a "behind-the-scenes peaceful reconstruction" actually entails. I assume it goes something like this:

"You must step down."
"No."
"Why not?"
"I don't want to."
"But why?"
"Because I'm good at my job."
"No you're not."
"Yes I am."
"No you're not."
"Yes I am."

and it'll keep going like that until somebody's head explodes.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Wait. THey believe in "peaceful reconstruction ... of government without controversy, violence or civil war" and yet they warned governors that "they might be forcibly removed from office if they did not step down within three days"???

I'm confused.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Wait. THey believe in "peaceful reconstruction ... of government without controversy, violence or civil war" and yet they warned governors that "they might be forcibly removed from office if they did not step down within three days"???

I'm confused.

My bold:

So are they.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Threats of violence aren't the same as actual violence. I can hold up a gun and tell someone to beat it, but if I don't actually shoot them, perhaps there's a twisted way I can rationalize that to myself.*

That's splitting hairs, but, to reference one of P&CE's old arguments, it's what keeps us paying the IRS.

*ETA - Not what I actually believe, but I can see the mental process to get there.

Reaction score
Please tell me that David Patterson was one of the governors. Please.

He's the worst.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like one thing Arnold could handle.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
It describes the plan as “a bold achievable strategy for behind-the-scenes peaceful reconstruction of the de jure institutions of government without controversy, violence or civil war.”

:D

Who do they think they're kidding? They can't wait to rock and roll.

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Guardians of Free Republics?

Why does that sound like "Hitler Youth"?

And now the Godwin is out of the way.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
They might be forcibly removed from office

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qvJeATp31dw&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qvJeATp31dw&hl=es_ES&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
On its Web site, the Guardians of the Free Republics sets forth a plan to “restore America.” It describes the plan as “a bold achievable strategy for behind-the-scenes peaceful reconstruction of the de jure institutions of government without controversy, violence or civil war.”

But according to Jefferson:
“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”

:tongue

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score

But according to Jefferson:
“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”

Man, this guys fail at everything.

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
a bold achievable strategy for behind-the-scenes peaceful reconstruction of the de jure institutions of government without controversy, violence or civil war

huh. So they think that everyone is going to just up and say 'sure, cool, whatev'. Because if they don't, I'm pretty sure that counts as controversy. Interesting.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Well, civil war and violence are the only other option, right? So nice of these guys to do it the non-violent and non-civil-war way. Very considerate.

And wft is with Kun and his Fresh Prince video as a response to all threads?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Patterson almost done anyway?

Patterson indeed is "almost done". He's abandoned an attempt at election, which isn't really re- election, since he wasn't elected Governor in the first place. He was an accident, and at best a reminder that when you go to the polls to vote, PAY ATTENTION. Lieutenant Governors may be obscure and have little real authority, but dammit, every now and then they succeed to the big office via some mischance, as Patterson did, and as did what's-her-name Swift in Massachusetts a few years ago.

Now, it doesn't always work out bad. This happened in my state just a year ago, when Sarah What's-Her-Name abruptly resigned "for the good of the people of Alaska", in her own words. Turns out almost everybody thinks she was right. She was succeeded by a relatively little-known, relatively standard Republican with a bland personality and little in the way of big ideas, at least so far, and most people, both Repubs and Dems, are fairly happy with him.

But these posts where a person can be suddenly elevated to higher office, without voter approval, via death or resignation or impeachment of the person above, are important and should be treated as such.

caw

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
She was succeeded by a relatively little-known, relatively standard Republican with a bland personality and little in the way of big ideas, at least so far, and most people, both Repubs and Dems, are fairly happy with him.
And people think I'm strange for wanting candidates that aren't interested in having big ideas and making wide-sweeping changes...see, they make people happy. ;)