Different Locations and writing styles in the one story

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Months ago I was thinking of adding a single chapter set in England, then jumping to a different time period to what was otherwise a book set in Australia. The responses on the thread gave several examples where this type of ploy has been used and worked in other works of fiction.

What I've finally ended up with is a book almost equally divided between two countries with an 8 year gap between the two sections and it has become cleary apparent to me, that although the story continues in Australia is based around the same original plot elements, some of the same charachters and a host of new charachers introduced, that the style of writing is quite different in the two sections possibly because I identify with Australia quite differently then I do to England.

Although I have read books that crossed continents, all of them have made the switch to the other country earlier on in the book, and I'm wondering if anyone has read a book where the first half and second half read almost like two different writers have written them? My story is from the same pov throughout.

I can't helping thinking now that I actually need a chapter that starts in Australia to balance the writing styles out, so the reader isn't thrown completely off guard when they get to the Australian sections.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
A chapter set in Australia, maybe even some years earlier than your English chapters, might be interesting.

Some of the earlier historical fiction books used the split ploy pretty well - but usually with the same main character. Example (my favorite that I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about) - Captain from Castille starts off in Spain and stays there for several chapters, then switches to the New World and is there for most of the book. And it's a pretty abrupt switch. But the main character stays the same. I'll have to think about your question to see if I can come up with any that are closer to the scenario you have. Puma

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If I write an early chapter set in Australia it would have to be from a diferent pov - part of me is stuggling with wanting to have the focus from the start on Australia not England, so I guess I would need to somehow mixed both voices and invent a new start in Australia that has the same relevance in some way as does my current first chapter and be able to tie into the ending to bring it full circle again....................mmm...

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I may get your characters mixed up here, so if I do, forgive me. But, I can see a couple options:

Open with Isobel's Ma and brother when they arrive in Australia. Or...

The Australian at the masked ball is ? Could you open with him in Australia - maybe when he's about ready to leave for England.

And I'm not really sure whether Mr. Barrett has figured much in your story - but if he isn't the man at the ball, open with him in Australia.

And I know, bad words, but it sounds like we're talking a bit like a preface - but I think it could also be chapter 1, but in that case (and possibly because of your big year skip in your story anyway), I think you'd want to name the chapters with the location and date - Sydney Harbor, 18XX, etc.

Just some ideas, Cooee. Hope they help. Puma

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the ideas Puma - they have helped. Isabell's mother's pov might be the most interesting way to go, either that or yes, the Australian fellow before he leaves for England.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Could they run into each other in Australia - him be there to watch the convicts being unloaded? Puma

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Only as a 10 year old boy as that's 14 years prior to the start of the English section but that concept is very interesting to me. I've almost finished playing with the last of the second half and before I got back through it one more time - to fix up my tense throughout :) I'll play with a new begining.