CBS Poll on President Obama

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Not the results I expected. CBS is running this poll on its website so people can grade the President on issues ranging from Afghanistan to the economy to bipartisanship and on his job as a whole.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-6116297-503544.html?tag

You have to take the poll to see the results. If nothing else, this is an interesting look at a cross section of the American public's perception of the President's job so far.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
If nothing else, this is an interesting look at a cross section of the American public's perception of the President's job so far.

actually it's not.

massive online communities like democraticunderground (on the left) and free republic (on the right) get the jump on online polls and make an orchestrated effort "DU this poll!" or "freep this poll!"), and they skew the results, often irreparably.

online polls are useless in any scientific sense, but they're also pretty useless as even casual barometers.

Last edited:

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a critic of Obama, but even I didn't grade him that hard...

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't answer the poll questions. I figured I'd only throw off the curve. :e2brows:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh that's just ridiculous. I don't even know why they have these things.

I also hate polls that don't let you have no opinion on a question. Not that it would matter with the silly games people play.

Did you see how few Bs and Cs there were?

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
*shrug*

I just thought it was interesting--mostly because I heard about it on a sports message board and it incited quite an argument. Of course, it didn't have Orlando Bloom or eggplant as options for the poll so obviously it was going to be skewed.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
actually it's not.

massive online communities like democraticunderground (on the left) and free republic (on the right) get the jump on online polls and make an orchestrated effort "DU this poll!" or "freep this poll!"), and they skew the results, often irreparably.

online polls are useless in any scientific sense, but they're also pretty useless as even casual barometers.
From that, I'd expect even lower percentages for B, C, and D than are there. And from the A vs. F, it looks like the DU peeps haven't shown up yet.
NOTE: This is not a scientific poll. The results above are for information purposes only, and should not be confused with the results of the scientific polls conducted by CBS News.
So what "information" do the results give? That so far it's mostly conservatives that have been voting?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
No beef (no offense, Haskins). I agree with him and--in fact--find most polls, online or not, to be next to useless.

nice tap dancing sport-o, but i'm glad that your incessant bullying of me over my rightwing views is being noticed around here.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
From that, I'd expect even lower percentages for B, C, and D than are there. And from the A vs. F, it looks like the DU peeps haven't shown up yet.

hence my "often irreparably" comment upthread.

each side picks its battles.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
that's just nitpicking.

but we can discuss this later when i visit you in the camp.

i suspect you'll have much to say.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
No beef (no offense, Haskins). I agree with him and--in fact--find most polls, online or not, to be next to useless.
Except that offline polls, if done correctly (which admittedly is rare), are far from useless.

Online polls, on the other hand, always suck.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
While I don't agree with everything President Obama does or says, giving him F's on Afghanistan, Iraq, and Energy is just trolling.

Honestly, giving him an F on anything except possibly the economy is trolling.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Why is it trolling? Are the people who responded to this poll not allowed to express their true opinion? And how are they trolling on an anonymous poll that doesn't have a chat or messageboard accompanying it?

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com