Perception of Conspiracy Poll

Perception of Conspiracy Poll

• ZOMG, Everything's a MASSIVE, super secret conspiracy.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • There definitely are types of major conspiracies, lots of them.

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Sure, there's some level of conspiracy in government (not just military)

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Some so-called conspiracies are nothing but legitimate military secrets.

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Well, sure, there are criminal conspiracies here and there.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Duh, all that conspiracy shit is bogus bullshit.

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious. I've stumbled into a conspiracy. Wait, that's not right, actually. I've discovered the possibility of some sort of potential conspiracy, by accident. It's probably nothing. Still, that shit tugs at you, sometimes. What do you think? Are there giantantic conspiracies that are all tied together? Are there none? Is it all paranoia and bullshit? Somewhere in between? Let's find out what you think, shall we?

ETA: Multiple options are allowed.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I think there is some weird stuff out there that hasn't been explained. I think the government keeps a lot from us that we don't even know about.

But I don't think there are a bunch of conspiracies all tied together to end humankind or anything like that.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd be more willing to believe in an accidental conspiracy than a carefully orchestrated series of secrets and lies. Doing it on purpose takes a level of efficiency that big governments can't pull off simply because of the number of people who would be involved. Maybe they're possible in the short term, but beyond that it gets iffy.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
A secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act.

If you use this definition, sure. They abound, from small, personal and petty conspiracies all the way to large, get your butt tossed in jail ventures. Sometimes the little, scratch-my-back conspiracies are so clever and tempting that they slowly gain more and more participants. Next thing you know you've got a full-blown scheme with a spider web of participants scattered across a wide area. Big and little, I think they exist. A giant one, tying numerous small cons together? I'm not sure, that would require a lot of coordination and years of planning and patience.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd be more willing to believe in an accidental conspiracy than a carefully orchestrated series of secrets and lies. Doing it on purpose takes a level of efficiency that big governments can't pull off simply because of the number of people who would be involved. Maybe they're possible in the short term, but beyond that it gets iffy.

What if it's not the actual government, but a shadow government? Hmmm?

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Benjamin Franklin said, "Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead."

Then again, Iran-contra was a conspiracy, wasn't it? Or was it merely a secret operation?

Shadow governments have high potential for conspiracy by the sheer fact that they're a shadow government.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
What if it's not the actual government, but a shadow government? Hmmm?

If it involves more than 2 people, it's got problems. (look at blacbird's post he said what I was trying to say, only a lot bettererer)

A person can be smart, efficient, whatever, but as soon as person becomes people, they all get dirt dumb.

dageezer

I've done nothing wrong....
Registered
Reaction score
Then again, Iran-contra was a conspiracy, wasn't it? Or was it merely a secret operation?

Iran-Contra was a secret operation that just walked the legality tight rope.

For those who remember Watergate, the black bag job in itself wouldn't have brought down the Nixon White House.

In both cases, the conspiracy was in the cover up.

Watergate would have been a break in, Liddy and company would have went to jail end of story. But there was this pissy egotisical jackass that didn't get the job he wanted so he got revenge by talking. Thus starting the cover up that would start the whole ball rolling.

Iran-Contra would have never went as high as it did if it wasn't for one bozo that couldn't live up to his claims. It was the cover up that got people in hot water.

That's the problem when working with spooks. It only take one to lose his guts.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The efficiency of any conspiracy is inversely proportional to the number of individuals consciously involved in it.

caw

So, you'd accept the possibility of conspiracy if: a) the individuals weren't conscious and/or knowledgable of the big picture and were just playing their part; or b) the individuals involved weren't people? Or have I got you wrong? ;)

ETA: Are you aware of the CIA's MK Ultra Project?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it involves more than 2 people, it's got problems. (look at blacbird's post he said what I was trying to say, only a lot bettererer)

A person can be smart, efficient, whatever, but as soon as person becomes people, they all get dirt dumb.

That's a sad indictment of government you just accidentally made, there.

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
The more I hear and read about NWO and the "conspiratorial" push toward one-world government, the more I believe it is happening. What makes it an ingenious conspiracy is that it's happening right in front of everyone, no secret maneuvering necessary. People, particularly the PC crowd, even embrace the idea of a global community and the abolition of sovereign nations.

Many people laugh at the conspiracy theories surrounding the Bilderberg Group and its annual conference. And justly so, correct? The most powerful people in the world meeting in total secrecy, press not allowed. I'm sure they're only discussing innocuous matters. Baseball, perhaps....

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think governments are competent enough for elaborate conspiracies.

This.

There are always too many people willing to talk. Watergate didn't involve more than a dozen or so people, and the lid was blown on it as soon as it happened. Granted, I don't think we even now know everything about Watergate, but enough came to light that the scheme failed.

Most of the 9/11 and JFK conspiracies require more gullibility than do the "orthodox" explanations.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
The more I hear and read about NWO and the "conspiratorial" push toward one-world government, the more I believe it is happening. What makes it an ingenious conspiracy is that it's happening right in front of everyone, no secret maneuvering necessary. People, particularly the PC crowd, even embrace the idea of a global community and the abolition of sovereign nations.

Many people laugh at the conspiracy theories surrounding the Bilderberg Group and its annual conference. And justly so, correct? The most powerful people in the world meeting in total secrecy, press not allowed. I'm sure they're only discussing innocuous matters. Baseball, perhaps....
The Bilderberg Group is discussed in this book, along with the NWO's belief that the country has been divided up into regions as laid out on the back of a box of Kix cereal.

MK Ultra, First Earth Battalion... The Men Who Stare at Goats is more than a movie with George Clooney. (The books are entertaining, if nothing else.)

Conspiracies are hard to maintain when the people involved in them are aware that they're participating in a conspiracy. Unwitting involvement maybe has a better chance for the scheme's longevity, but lifespan and effectiveness may be limited.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
There's an old saying which is usually true. Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
The International Spy Museum has two podcasts on conspiracy theories. Scroll down to April and May 2009.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is more accurate for the vast majority of humans.

Most conspiracy theories require the participation of far too many people.

Logically, therefore, you know all about the CIA's, the NSA's, and the miilitary's plans? No one can keep a secret? Why do the richest and most powerful people in the world meet in secret once a year with no press (nor anyone else) permitted? But, then, you must know why the Bildebergers (named after the hotel in Germany where they first met) meet and what they discuss; they, by your logic, being incapable of secrecy? You must know about all secret societies and the minutes of their meetings.

You are all fools. Giant Extra-dimensional Ferrets run EVERYTHING! They control the Illuminati, all governments, all religions, all scout troops, all off-Broadway shows, and, of course, the telephone companies, who are the real villains in all of this. ALL PRAISE our Ferret Overlords! Kneel before the God Ferret! Kneel!

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Logically, therefore, you know all about the CIA's, the NSA's, and the miilitary's plans? No one can keep a secret? Why do the richest and most powerful people in the world meet in secret once a year with no press (nor anyone else) permitted? But, then, you must know why the Bildebergers (named after the hotel in Germany where they first met) meet and what they discuss; they, by your logic, being incapable of secrecy? You must know about all secret societies and the minutes of their meetings.

You are all fools. Giant Extra-dimensional Ferrets run EVERYTHING! They control the Illuminati, all governments, all religions, all scout troops, all off-Broadway shows, and, of course, the telephone companies, who are the real villains in all of this. ALL PRAISE our Ferret Overlords! Kneel before the God Ferret! Kneel!
And they put the clue right in front of us with all the weasels in government.