Repeating Earlier Text on a Thread (using Quote and Multi-Quote to reply to posts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
Many times on this site I've noticed that various users use a portion of someone else's text put into a blue box. According to its usage, this is done to show what part of the text they are replying to so that everyone else will have an easier time understanding who they're or what they're talking about.

How do I do this? I've never done it before.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Do you see at the bottom of this post where there are three buttons and one says "Quote"? See what happens when you click on it ;)

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
hey that wasn't so hard! Thanks!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The button with the quotation mark and the plus will let you quote multiple people. So you can hit it for the first post you want to quote and again for any others, and then when you get to the last person, hit the "Quote" button, and it will have all those posts quoted in the same post for you.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
The button with the quotation mark and the plus will let you quote multiple people. So you can hit it for the first post you want to quote and again for any others, and then when you get to the last person, hit the "Quote" button, and it will have all those posts quoted in the same post for you.

Ah. I always wondered how to do muli quotes.

Thanjks

InspectorFarquar

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

And what about when you want to quote the same post multiple times, as done in this example: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...T-FOR-RULES)&p=9420487&viewfull=1#post9420487

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
InspectorFarquar, in that case you still use the Reply With Quote feature, but then you have to add additional QUOTE tags. You'll see the quoted text starts with QUOTE in square brackets (opening tag) and ends with /QUOTE in square brackets (the / indicates it's the closing tag). You should see that regardless of whether you use the standard or the WYSIWIG editor. Whatever is between those two tags are displayed in the quote box/bubble.

If you want to break the quoted text up into multiple sections, just make sure you add the opening tag to the start of each section (you can leave out the username and post number for subsequent sections) and the closing tag to the end of each section. You only need to close the first section of quoted text manually (as it will already have an opening tag). For subsequent sections, highlight the text, and click the Quote icon in the toolbar. That should add the opening and closing tags to either side of the quoted text. Remember the last section will again already have a closing tag, so add only the opening tag to that section manually.

Make sure your reply doesn't fall between quote tags, or your own reply can also wind up in a quote bubble. And be careful to not open a new quote tag before closing the previous one - that will cause a quote inside a quote.

InspectorFarquar

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
InspectorFarquar, in that case you still use the Reply With Quote feature, but then you have to add additional QUOTE tags. You'll see the quoted text starts with QUOTE in square brackets (opening tag) and ends with /QUOTE in square brackets (the / indicates it's the closing tag). You should see that regardless of whether you use the standard or the WYSIWIG editor. Whatever is between those two tags are displayed in the quote box/bubble.

If you want to break the quoted text up into multiple sections, just make sure you add the opening tag to the start of each section (you can leave out the username and post number for subsequent sections) and the closing tag to the end of each section.
You only need to close the first section of quoted text manually (as it will already have an opening tag)
For subsequent sections, highlight the text, and click the Quote icon in the toolbar.
That should add the opening and closing tags to either side of the quoted text. Remember the last section will again already have a closing tag, so add only the opening tag to that section manually.

Make sure your reply doesn't fall between quote tags, or your own reply can also wind up in a quote bubble. And be careful to not open a new quote tag before closing the previous one - that will cause a quote inside a quote.

Thank you for your detailed reply, which I'm not sure I grasped.

I tried some quotes in your text — let's see how it came out.

Edit (after viewing): well, it boxed the highlighted text, but not quotes — perhaps you can diagnose?

Last edited:

InspectorFarquar

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
InspectorFarquar, in that case you still use the Reply With Quote feature, but then you have to add additional QUOTE tags.

You'll see the quoted text starts with QUOTE in square brackets (opening tag) and ends with /QUOTE in square brackets (the / indicates it's the closing tag). You should see that regardless of whether you use the standard or the WYSIWIG editor. Whatever is between those two tags are displayed in the quote box/bubble.

If you want to break the quoted text up into multiple sections, just make sure you add the opening tag to the start of each section (you can leave out the username and post number for subsequent sections)

and the closing tag to the end of each section. You only need to close the first section of quoted text manually (as it will already have an opening tag).

For subsequent sections, highlight the text, and click the Quote icon in the toolbar. That should add the opening and closing tags to either side of the quoted text. Remember the last section will again already have a closing tag, so add only the opening tag to that section manually.

Let's see if this try is any better.

KokkieH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
It looks like first time around you discovered that "quote within a quote" thing I spoke about. Second time around looks like you've got it. But shout if you need more help :)

KokkieH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
You're very welcome. It helps if one is familiar with HTML. The code used in the forums is not HTML, but works on the same principle. A year ago I would have been as lost as you, though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.