• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Last Stand Productions, Inc.

Colin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gigglegasm.com
Has anyone had any dealings with these folks, or can vouch for them? They want short story submissions for sale as inidvidual ebooks, mostly in the romance genre but also under other categories. They offer work for hire & a more standard royalty deal. They claim 10 or more years exp in the ebook trade, but there's not much info out there on them...at least not much that I can find. They seem to be a film producer as well as a publisher. Anybody?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.laststandproductions.com/index.html

Advertises for authors on Craigslist, etc. Site aimed at authors, not readers. Lots of verbiage about experienced staff, but nary a word on who they are or what that experience is. Lists Lulu as a retail outlet, which makes me suspect this will be a Lulu front.

At the very least, wait until they've published something to make sure they can do what they claim, much less what you want for your book.

Not to be confused with Last Stand Productions Ltd. of the UK.

Steven.haughey

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have just signed a five year contract with them. The contract seemed legit, and I've had quite a few people read it over with me. I'll know by June 1st if I have been screwed or not.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have just signed a five year contract with them. The contract seemed legit, and I've had quite a few people read it over with me.
The contract might be fine.

The question is whether the person the contract is with has:

1. Experience at creating physical books
2. Experience at getting those books into the hands of readers.

If you can go to your local bookshop and find copies of their books on the shelves then you have a good start.

If you look through the threads here you'll find hundreds of examples of people who started a small publisher making books available through Lulu.

Look at how those experiences turned out. What is this publisher doing that is different?

Good luck,

Mac

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From their website:
We are now offering writer's workshops across the state and will be scheduling one in your area soon. At our workshops, everyone from amateur story makers to advanced writers will gain insight into some of the easiest ways to turn stories into a reality. We will be bringing you industry leading techniques and everyone attending will learn quick ways to take those wonderfully imaginative thoughts and put them into words and onto paper before you know what you're doing. At the end of each workshop, our clients and prospective authors will be given a chance to write for LSP and finally begin making money off of their work.
First off, I couldn't find out which state they're located in, so I have no idea if they're even close enough to having a workshop nearby. Second, I really, really have serious doubts about the red flag I've highlighted. I've attended several writing workshops and I've never been pitched publishing opportunities at any of them.

Hex

Registered
Reaction score
I think that they may be located in Florida. Just by doing a classifieds search for last stand productions, and the fact that I found their posting in a Tallahassee classifieds site.

I have also been offered a contract with them, but have been trying to find more information before I sign anything. If anyone hears something about LSP, give me a heads up. Legit or not. Thanks.

---Hex

Hex

Registered
Reaction score
Clearwater, Florida to be exact. That's what it says in the contract at least.

---Hex

Narielle

Registered
Reaction score
Going, going...

Well, it's been more than a few months... has anyone heard from the folks at Last Stand? It seems that they are no longer answering their emails, and the web page is gone. Does anyone have any idea what happened to them?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The website at the link above is gone.

blackbv

Registered
Reaction score
I signed a contract with them in February and even submitted a short story that they asked me to write. I then went through months of waiting for their editor to get back to me. Whenever I contacted them, I was told she was ill and they were working on it. Finally, they stopped answering e-mails and the website disappeared. I thought the contract was legitimate also, but think that I can forget them and ever being paid for the story. I'm just glad it was only one.

NadiaJ

Registered
Reaction score
I signed a contract with them in February and even submitted a short story that they asked me to write. I then went through months of waiting for their editor to get back to me. Whenever I contacted them, I was told she was ill and they were working on it. Finally, they stopped answering e-mails and the website disappeared. I thought the contract was legitimate also, but think that I can forget them and ever being paid for the story. I'm just glad it was only one.

Me, too... :Shrug: