Not open for further replies.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
ChunkyC said:
Speaking of Motley Crüe, anybody else laugh themselves silly watching the premiere of "Tommy Goes to College" this week?

Funniest thing I've seen on TV in years.

What makes me laugh even harder is that women find him attractive. There's something about him that just screams "hygienically challenged" to me. I don't care if he's hung like a moose, he's just ICKY.

britwrit

Registered
Reaction score
Jersey Girl,

Hi, here's a link that might be useful. If it goes out of date, it's from the August 14th edition of the New York Times... I think.

Finding Emo

A.REX

Registered
Reaction score
Some heavies that I like: Sevendust, Corn, 311, Ministry, Limp Bizkit, Rammstein, Alter-bridge, Green Day, just to name a few.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC said:
Speaking of Motley Crüe, anybody else laugh themselves silly watching the premiere of "Tommy Goes to College" this week?

Funniest thing I've seen on TV in years.

MAN!!!! I missed it! :Smack: I laughed at the commerical though. And Patti is right...does anyone else think that Pam's move from Tommy to Kidrock was a leteral move at best? Not that being with Pam would be a great idea either...

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
The show is actually pretty decent... As far as music...welll I like Led Zeppelin, Metallica...ect.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
britwrit said:
Jersey Girl,

Hi, here's a link that might be useful. If it goes out of date, it's from the August 14th edition of the New York Times... I think.

Finding Emo

Neat article. I like a lot of the emo bands, which I think stems from the fact that I'm 36 and when my friends were buying Wham and Duran Duran albums, I was part of the early punk movement, which I still really like listening to. A lot of these groups are the direct musical descendants of the Clash, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols.

It's almost as if punk and metal had mated, and then felt mournful about it. Sure, a lot of the emo groups are flashes in the pan, one-hit wonders, but I like them anyway. We saw My Chemical Romance when they opened for Green Day (my favorite band EVER, I'd sell my soul for Billie Joe Armstrong even though he looks like he hasn't seen the sun since 1993). I like Blink 182 and Bowling for Soup and Simple Plan too.

What's weird is that my 13 year old and I fight over who gets which CD and who gets stuck with the burned copy.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Hi JerseyGirl,

If you want to come up with some of your own names for bands/songs, you may want to check out the OzzFest web site [www.ozzfest.com]. All but one of the bands on the Second Stage are up-and-comers with interesting names & they all have links to their band web pages &/or their record company pages. The 2nd stage acts, with the exception of Killswitch Engage & Zombie, are the screachy-type bands [yes, I saw them all on 8/11!
smile.gif
] but you can get an idea of what kind of names are popular.

I'd suggest creating your own, unless you're using the music/bands to orient the reader in a specific time period. It'll definitely be fun to come up with your own "bands", & you can use their "concert posters" &/or "CDs" as marketing tools/giveaways at readings & etc.

Have a great day!
Caren

Winfred

Registered
Reaction score
Allmusic what they're about

Allmusic.com is a great reference for (you guessed it) all things commercial music--bands, genres, labels, etc.

MTF

Hi Marcusthefish!

You mention Allmusic.com and wondering if you know if that is a good site for the average musician. Somehow without asking me they posted my solo piano album, Red Sky At Night, and have streaming etc. Are they selling my music as I've never received any pay from them. Maybe I'm all wrong and they are a philanthropic organization helping artists to become "known". Do you know where there might be musicians comments on Allmusic?
Thanks!
Winfred

Classic Rock

Registered
Reaction score
Evening all. I'm new to the site, but I've done a LOT of homework, reading threads and getting answers and guidance... Thank you ALL for that. Long story short (I deplore that saying), I will NOT be quoting song lyrics in my book. From what I've seen, I should be ok using names like "Sammy Hagar" and "Pink Floyd", though, right?

Something that I haven't gotten a clear answer on, is the use of movie quotes. "Cream or sugar?" "No thank you. I like my coffee like my men; hot, black and strong..."

Opinions? Rulings? Bueller? Bueller?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing at all wrong with dating a story. I have no idea where this myth came from, but a myth is all it is. "Dating" a story sets it in the real world, and I don't think I've ever read a bestselling novel set in the real world that wasn't dated in numerous ways.

And "dating", of course, doesn't stop the classics from being popular. In very large part, it's what makes Making a character be deeply into something you don't know extremely well is usually a mistake, so don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary.

If it is absolutely necessary, Google is the simple answer. I had no trouble using Google to find the most popular heavy metal bands, the ones with cult followings, the history of heavy metal, etc. Then I found it was easy to listen to nearly all these bands online, as least for as long as I could stand it. Heavy metal is not something I enjoy at all.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
From what I've seen, I should be ok using names like "Sammy Hagar" and "Pink Floyd", though, right?

Correct. Names of bands and song titles are not protected by copyright. And I agree with JAR about the "dating" thing. One matter you might want to consider, however, is the familiarity of bands/artists/songs to your intended audience. Really obscure references that may mean something to you might be meaningless to most readers. Sammy Hagar and Pink Floyd are pretty widely known, so no problem there.

caw

Classic Rock

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, blackbird. Love the Zevon references, by the way...

Thank you for the input. I'm still trying to learn what we are allowed to get away with and which limits we can push. On the movie one-liners, such as the one referenced (from Airplane!), as well as a few others (Heavy Metal, Dazed and Confused, Apocalypse Now...)... Can we quote movie lines or does that fall into the Song Lyrics Taboo folder?

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
There's nothing at all wrong with dating a story. I have no idea where this myth came from, but a myth is all it is. "Dating" a story sets it in the real world, and I don't think I've ever read a bestselling novel set in the real world that wasn't dated in numerous ways.

And "dating", of course, doesn't stop the classics from being popular. In very large part, it's what makes Making a character be deeply into something you don't know extremely well is usually a mistake, so don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary.

If it is absolutely necessary, Google is the simple answer. I had no trouble using Google to find the most popular heavy metal bands, the ones with cult followings, the history of heavy metal, etc. Then I found it was easy to listen to nearly all these bands online, as least for as long as I could stand it. Heavy metal is not something I enjoy at all.

Absolutely agree concerning 'dating'. Although that's personal. I've never ever experienced a moment of "look how dated this book is, that's silly", or "look how stupid the effects are in this old movie", or "look how stupidly they dressed in 1983". However I know of a great many mouth-breathers who can only judge something by how it compares to what the current fashion in anything is today, in their circle. If it overlaps with their current fashion--it's "good", if not--it's "bad".

So while dating isn't "bad" per se, it can bring criticism from the Moron From Beyond Tomorrow! when the future arrives.

...In the POV of many an older old fart, they stopped making real music after around 1970. Whereas I am a younger old fart, and in my POV they stopped making real music after around 1990. Up to the first masterpieces in black and death metal, but before the metalcore and groove and stoner and nu metal and sympho-post-shoegaze things and whatever else kids these days may be up to.

No values, is what the problem is. No backbone. Not like back in 1991 :2angel: when people knew the value of a Tugrik and Iraqi wars ended on schedule and joints and tendons didn't hurt and cute girls were all over you and boners appeared at the hint of a smile and it was always summer and 2000AD was in the future after which we'd have jetpacks and hoverboards.

Last edited:

Hublocker

Banned
Reaction score
Just pick some awful disease or grotesque medieval torture.

Gonorrhea

The Impalers

Flayer

Piano Wire

Zyklon B

Status
Not open for further replies.