Are there any Victorian romances out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I mean is anyone writing romances set in the Victorian age? It's a long time period.

So far all I've seen are steampunk, and, of course, mysteries. I love the mysteries, and the steampunk, the less itcky Gothics, the paranormals, but I was thinking HEA. Not catagory, please.

Yes, read Souless, loved it, waiting for Changleless out in MAY :snoopy:, but I want more, if it's there.

Recommendation for romance and, hey, as long as I have your attention - Victorian paranormals? Please and thank you.

S

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, not me.

Funny that I started a similar thread same time as you though...

Good luck finding fellow Victorians.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
There's quite a few out there, but the issue you're going to find is that a lot of books that are considered Victorian are packaged like Regency, because they feel that makes them sell better.

A few authors that wrote Victorian this last year:

Courtney Milan
Meredith Duran
Sherry Thomas
Lisa Kleypas

Victorian paranormal is a little harder. Susan Squires is one, Kathryn Smith is another. Both write vampire victorians. Gail Dayton writes steampunk romances.

My friend Meljean Brook will have a steampunk romance series coming out later this year - a novella in BURNING UP (which I read and was amazing) and a full length called THE IRON DUKE.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
The last one I wrote is Victorian Steampunk Romance. Trying to find a home for it right now.
I have a pseudo-connected one in the works as well but I'm not sure how steampunk it will be.

(though I realize this doesn't answer your question. sorry.)

Last edited:

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
Kim Lenox has a fab Victorian paranormal series called the Shadow Guards. If you liked Soulless, you'll like Night Falls Darkly and So Still The Night. The third book comes out in a week or so.

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all, please to have the growing list. I so wouldn't have thought of looking for them under Regency.

Also good on the paranormal, I particularly like the idea of hte psychic series. I'm okay on vamps and weres, but draw the line totally at zombies. I know wimp, but can't take the ick factor.

som1luvsmi

My brother loves me thiiis much! :)
Registered
Reaction score
About a block away from the nuthouse...they've sta
Website
randomlyabstract.blogspot.com
I LOVE the series and it also has a contemporary part written by Jayne Ann Krentz (Amanda Quick is what she writes under for historic novels. She also continues the paranormal/psychic stories set in the future under the name Jayne Castle. Those books have Arcane Society tie-ins, too.)

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh right, I read a Castle, don't remember which one right now, but it was pretty good. The main thing I remember was her pet dust bunny - dust bunnies aren't what you think they are, especially when their eyes turn green Totally cool.

LorelieBrown

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Brenda Joyce's Francesca Cahill series is actually Edwardian (1901-1910) and a mystery series, *but* has a very, very strong romance thread running through all. Readers were left hanging for a while when her publisher didn't pick them up again, but there's a contract now and rumors have it there will be an HEA in the newest.

PS, Jill, I thought Kathryn Smith's were Edwardian also?

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Colleen Gleason has a Victorian series where the heroine is titled and a vampire slayer. Very interesting to see the struggle between her dual life, especially in that day and age. It's five books total.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Brenda Joyce's Francesca Cahill series is actually Edwardian (1901-1910) and a mystery series, *but* has a very, very strong romance thread running through all. Readers were left hanging for a while when her publisher didn't pick them up again, but there's a contract now and rumors have it there will be an HEA in the newest.

PS, Jill, I thought Kathryn Smith's were Edwardian also?

No, I think hers are Victorian? Late 1880s I believe. I know I read one where the plotline mirrored the Ripper murders. But I could be wrong...

Laura Lee Guhrke (now that I think about it) writes very late Victorian/Edwardian, I think. Right at 1899 and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.