At what point do you reveal your MC’s ‘quest’ / raison d'être?

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My MG book's plot arc is: MC inherits something and discovers it’s in peril so needs to find it and protect it’ (sorry to be vague but agent doesn’t want me mentioning idea anywhere!). If I ever get published, I imagine the nature of this ‘find it and protect it’ quest will be clear on the blurb – like the fact Percy Jackson needs to recover the lightening bolt is clear from the book’s blurb.

Or does it? In Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, his ‘quest’ isn’t really on the blurb, it’s all just about the fact he’s a wizard with no mention of the philosopher’s stone (apart from in the title). So he doesn’t find out he needs to stop the philosopher’s stone from getting into the clutches of Voldermort until later in the book and the main reveal in Act 1 is that he’s a wizard.

So… in current ms, MC discovers her ‘quest’ around ch8/9. She discovers she’s inherited something by ch3, like HP.

I was chatting to a friend last night and we re-arranged my plot so it fit the 3 plot arc with 9 turning points, and she suggested moving the ‘reveal’ of the MC’s duty to even later – so more like ch 13/14 (or, on the 3 act plot arc, the mid turning point of act 2).

I don’t know whether to reveal the quest early and have it on my blurb / hook when agent subs, or reveal is later, and only hint at it in blurb / hook?

When do you first introduce your MC’s quest? And do you make it clear in your blurb / hook?

Last edited:

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
In my WIP #1, there are a few conflicts. The external conflict is revealed on page one, for example, and the other ones show up later. In my current draft, the antagonist shows up on page 30. In an earlier version, it was page 60, and that didn't work for some readers.

I think you should have the quest begin earlier than 13/14. 8/9 is late enough. If anything, I'd move it up. MG tends to be more compressed.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on what's happening up until that point, the point where she gets the quest. In HP, we were busy learning about the strange world of wizards, which was very compelling. And there was a lots of conflict - HP vs. the Dursleys, the Dursleys vs. the letters of invitation to Hogwarts, etc. If you have that sort of world building/conflict building, I think it's fine to wait.

Good luck, it sounds a fun story.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Sheila: it depends. If there's plenty of conflict and smaller quests along the way, leading up to the Big One, and if each one is a little bigger/more intense than the one before, then I think you can probably get away with a pretty late reveal. Is there a mystery involved in it? Like, Percy Jackson spends a lot of time finding out who he is and why he's at Camp HalfBlood. Then he finds out about the stolen lightning bolt. And finally, really, really late in the book, he finds out who the actual thief is and gears up for the final battle. All those mysteries keep the pacing tight.

So if your MC has plenty to accomplish along the way, then sure, you're probably okay.

Ivan_B

of Rassilon
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, good question. In my current WIP, the real "quest" begins in chapter 5, which is about a third of the way through. Just seemed to work out that way. As long as there's enough going on but it still feels all part of one whole, it doesn't really matter where it starts.

abrenner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
heywomencomics.blogspot.com
It's that "plenty to accomplish" part that's been trouble for me. My MC is in an entirely new environment, is only familiar with one person out of a cast that easily reaches into the double digits, and has just been knocked with one heck of a "by the way, your dad was _____."

I know about when/where the "quest" will kick in, and I have some idea of how to lead up to it, but aside from a fight at the very beginning, not a whole lot of "doing." Would that and a scene of him learning to use his powers (telekinesis, so it's at least an exciting one :tongue) be enough to break up the big chunk of explanations at the beginning?

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
It's that "plenty to accomplish" part that's been trouble for me. My MC is in an entirely new environment, is only familiar with one person out of a cast that easily reaches into the double digits, and has just been knocked with one heck of a "by the way, your dad was _____."

I know about when/where the "quest" will kick in, and I have some idea of how to lead up to it, but aside from a fight at the very beginning, not a whole lot of "doing." Would that and a scene of him learning to use his powers (telekinesis, so it's at least an exciting one :tongue) be enough to break up the big chunk of explanations at the beginning?

Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it. I'd find ways to SHOW the new environment as the character interacts with it, and reveal new pieces of information as they are needed.

Just by itself, "by the way, your dad was _____" has been done. A lot. So I think you'd need more than just that revelation to pull the reader into the story.