The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Abrams Artists Agency (Maura Teitelbaum)

practical experience, FTW

Abrams Artists Agency (Maura Teitelbaum)

Anyone have any info on Maura Teitelbaum of Abrams Artists Agency?

Found her on Ageny Query:
    http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=600

She has a $ on P&E but I was wondering if anyone here has had any specific dealings with her.
    If you live in or around Calgary, Alberta Canada and are looking for a supportive writing group, send me a PM.
    We also have sister chapters in a couple different cities in Saskatchewan.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Doesn't look like they accepted unsolicited queries.
    The Effigies Series (YA Superhero Fantasy/Simon Pulse)
    FATE OF FLAMES (Book #1) coming November 22, 2016
    Add on: Goodreads

Purchase Links and Synopsis

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
    *Now available.*
    Add on: Goodreads
    Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

My twitter is real.

As is my website!

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    According to Ms Teitelbaum's AQ page she takes snail mail queries. I would trust the accuracy of that over what it says on the agency website as Ms T will have written that for herself. The agency website submissions policy seems generic for everything they handle and not specific for novel length fiction.

Anyone have any specific dealings with the agency?
    If you live in or around Calgary, Alberta Canada and are looking for a supportive writing group, send me a PM.
    We also have sister chapters in a couple different cities in Saskatchewan.

figuring it all out
    That website is pretty non-specific. Sales listed on AQ are from 2004. I'm trying to dig up some info on her as well, check this link -

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/mauraekt/

Still not exactly incredibly helpful in making a decision as whether or not to send a query her way.

*shrug*

F.F.

Oh, dear. http://www.observer.com/2010/daily-t...artists-agency

Ross will serve in a "dual capacity," according to the Abrams release. He will both oversee literary representation, and run Abrams Author Services, a consultation service for self-published authors.
    No mention of such services on their website, though.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ABRAMS AGENCY

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Night View Post
    Anyone have any specific dealings with the agency?
    I got a reply the day after I sent a cold query to Mr. Ross.

It's a very prestigious agency. I'd also be interested to hear others' experiences with them.

It's the fastest response I ever received from a query. He wrote it. Said he was very intrigued and looked forward to reading the 50 pages I sent (which were unsolicited!)

What about Emma Sweeney? Know anything about her?

Banned
    Ross will serve in a "dual capacity," according to the Abrams release. He will both oversee literary representation, and run Abrams Author Services, a consultation service for self-published authors.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Abrams is a top agency for theatre and film, representing David Mamet and others. Books have not traditionally been their thing.

Abrams Artists Agency

Anybody know anything about them? Reputable or no?
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.-Plato

Know what you write...
    Are you talking about http://www.abramsartists.com/literary.html ?

If you did, it appears the only untowards piece of info I could find was that a sex offender was able to work in its youth casting division for some time, apparently without any ill effects to the auditioning kids.

What bothers me about the website I linked to is that it doesn't give pertinent information on who is running the place, that it has a wide variety of businesses it is involved in, and there is very limited submission guidelines or any idea about what they accept. I'm deferring to more experienced people for a final judgement, but right now, I'm not feeling overly confident about the place.
    Last edited by Stijn Hommes; 02-26-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stijn Hommes View Post
    Are you talking about http://www.abramsartists.com/literary.html ?

If you did, it appears the only untowards piece of info I could find was that a sex offender was able to work in its youth casting division for some time, apparently without any ill effects to the auditioning kids.

What bothers me about the website I linked to is that it doesn't give pertinent information on who is running the place, that it has a wide variety of businesses it is involved in, and there is very limited submission guidelines or any idea about what they accept. I'm deferring to more experienced people for a final judgement, but right now, I'm not feeling overly confident about the place.
    Yeah that is the place.

Hm, thanks for the info.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.-Plato

Know what you write...
    Quote Originally Posted by Schedlinski View Post
    Abrams is a top agency for theatre and film, representing David Mamet and others. Books have not traditionally been their thing.
    Thought as much. Wouldn't approach them with a novel, their expertise lies elsewhere.

Agent, author, human.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stijn Hommes View Post
    Thought as much. Wouldn't approach them with a novel, their expertise lies elsewhere.
    I found an Amy Wagner that supposedly works in this agency repping fantasy. She's a member of the AAR, any thoughts?

Here's the link to her AAR member page.
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

I sent a query to Ms. Wagner (for a supernatural thriller) via the e-mail address on her AAR page and received a full request within minutes. She has some pretty decent clients: Ian Holt, Edward Lazellari, Pearl Cleage, etc. I'll let you know how it goes.

Agent, author, human.
    Quote Originally Posted by popgun62 View Post
    I sent a query to Ms. Wagner (for a supernatural thriller) via the e-mail address on her AAR page and received a full request within minutes. She has some pretty decent clients: Ian Holt, Edward Lazellari, Pearl Cleage, etc. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks. I was going to query her just based on her AAR page, but checked out the website and found this:

All queries should be submitted in writing through an Industry Professional such as a Producer, Artistic Director, Literary Manager, Director, Choreographer, etc.

So, I was like
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

I saw that, too, but figured that if her AAR page says she's open to e-mail queries and has an e-mail address, I'm going for it!

Agent, author, human.
    Quote Originally Posted by popgun62 View Post
    I saw that, too, but figured that if her AAR page says she's open to e-mail queries and has an e-mail address, I'm going for it!
    Seriously. You have nothing to lose! Besides, I've noticed that agents will sometimes ignore what their website "says" and responds to queries sent to them directly.
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    It is often the case that the website has been written for the organisation as a whole (ICM is a good example) but the agent personally fills in information like their AAR page or their AQ entry.

WTF is a 'literary manager' anyway?

"wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8

Agent, author, human.
    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post

WTF is a 'literary manager' anyway?

Honestly, I was going to pose that myself as a...red flag? But Amy belongs to the AAR, so I assumed that was just a company thing.
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

Received an e-mail from Ms. Wagner on the 21st acknowledging receipt of my manuscript and saying that she would be reading shortly. They haven't been in the literary field long (except for screenplays and stage plays) but Ms. Wagner already has some impressive clients and sales. Anyone else have any experiences with Abrams Literary, good or bad?

I haven't been able to find info on Amy Wagner either, other than her AAR listing. Definitely interested to hear how your experience goes, Popgun. I don't like that the agency appears not to specialize in books.

For better or worse, I'm not finding further mention of Abrams' "Author Services". Mr. Ross has racked up some sales, though, to Ballentine, Random House, et al.
    ICAO
    ---------