• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Odyssey Books Pty. Ltd.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Is anyone familiar with Odyssey Books? Someone was asking about it, but there was no thread here that I could find. It is a self-publishing company, but I don't know if it's a respectable-ish one or not:
http://odysseybooks.com.au/

From what I could tell on the site, there is no fee for publishing with them, but there are fees for other services (editing, ISBN, etc.). They also don't list many books on their site -- from what I can see, one title and a couple of forthcoming titles.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if nothing else, they're a league ahead of most start-ups on the design front. (Inside look at Amazon.) But, as always, only time will tell if they have the business savvy to survive as a publisher; custom or not.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Well, if nothing else, they're a league ahead of most start-ups on the design front. (Inside look at Amazon.) But, as always, only time will tell if they have the business savvy to survive as a publisher; custom or not.
I like the cover on the book on the home page, too. Way ahead of what some other publishers offer. I just hope they know how to sell the books. :)

Last edited:

Elisabeth Bruce

Registered
Reaction score
Well, they've been accepted in SPUNC, which is the Small Press Underground Networking Community. Most of our small and independent publishers belong to this.

Here's the link for SPUNC so you can check it out more. I haven't heard of any misdealings. Most of them have grants from our Federal government Culture and Arts programmes to help them start up.

I've just started looking back home here and like some I've seen.

http://spunc.com.au/

Lis.

pisceanreve

Registered
Reaction score
It looks this thread hasn't gotten much traction, so I'm just contributing that I recently sent to them after narrowing my list down to just a couple small publishers...

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any personal or even second-hand experience with this publisher, but just updating:

Now a New Zealand-Aotearoa based publisher, with three imprints:
– Odyssey Books: speculative fiction (50,000-120,000 words)
– Publisher Obscura: novelty and illustrated books for adults
– Ensorcellia: postcard-sized novellas (15,000-25,000 words) and poetry chapbooks (minimum 5,000 words)
No advances paid. Presumably royalty-based. POD and e-book, but they say they also have distribution into B&M bookstores in NZ and Oz. Their cover art -- IMO only!!! -- ranges from okay to pretty good.

Also doing a pay-to-play service (which some people will consider a red flag, since it's a system amenable to abuse):
Many authors are launching successful writing careers by self-publishing. If you would like to work with our team to help you self-publish your book – of any subject or genre – please visit Odyssey Publishing. We can produce your book at the same quality as our own titles, and help you navigate the various options to distribute and promote your book.