• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] AP Watt

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
Found a UK Agency on P&E called AP Watt: http://www.apwatt.co.uk/

Their site looks impressive but P&E doesn't have any specific info on them. They claim to be the worlds longest established literary agency but I'm having a difficult time finding anything else about them.

Anyone else had any dealings with them?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Very solidly respectable, I know a couple of people repped by them.
They rejected my offering a few years ago

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be represented by one of their agents.

A P Watt is a very well-respected agency, with a strong list of sales and prizes to its credit.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting, but my quick scan of the book agents didn't turn up anyone with a particular interest in SFF. I'll have to dig deeper. ;)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Uk agents who own up to an interest in SF/F are few

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Phael, I don't think that anyone at A P Watt represents SF/F. As Waylander has said, there are relatively few agents in the UK who do.

Martina

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection-AP WATT

So yesterday I started sending submissions. One of the agencies I approached was APWATT. I emailed them a query letter and a full plot synopsis. Today I received a no.
I am not naive. I understand that they receive tons of query letters every day. But somehow I suspect that they did not read my query letter. To me it seemed a standard rejection letter. Has anyone else had dealings with them?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Going to move this into the existing AP Watt thread in BR&BC. Please return your trays to the upright and locked positions and make sure your seat belts are fastened. Thank you for flying AW Air. :)

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
So yesterday I started sending submissions. One of the agencies I approached was APWATT. I emailed them a query letter and a full plot synopsis. Today I received a no.
I am not naive. I understand that they receive tons of query letters every day. But somehow I suspect that they did not read my query letter. To me it seemed a standard rejection letter. Has anyone else had dealings with them?

Why would it not be? Also, what makes you think they didn't read your query letter? They will have read it; they just rejected it quickly (and remember, this could be down to things like "We've just taken on an identical project" to "An editor told me yesterday if they see one more of X they'll scream" to "This is very nice but I'm just not interested").

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Reading a query takes only a couple of minutes. Sometimes it takes only a few seconds. Agents and editors stop reading as soon as they lose interest.

But why should a standard rejection letter mean they didn't read it? Standard is what most writers receive. A no is a no, and a standard rejection is the best way of saying no.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From the Lunch:

Elinor Cooper has joined Rochelle Stevens & Co. as an agent. Previously she was at AP Watt