Greetings!

jjbenedict

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jjbenedict.wordpress.com
Hello everyone,

Like many other newbies, I found this forum so incredibly useful that I just had to join and start interacting with the community.

I'm a teacher (but probably not for long) who is very disenchanted with the educational system and I've used writing as an outlet to deal with that.

I recently completed a novel and am in the process of sending out query letters to agents. Specifically, I'd like some feedback on the letter, but generally I hope that I can receive advice, constructive criticism, encouragement, and support from my fellow writers as I try to find success as an author.

J.J.B.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

If you need some general feedback or critique on your writing, you can post some in our Share Your Work forum (the password is vista). The critiques can be harsh sometimes ... but honest, so prepare yourself for that. Everyone means well, though. Their goal is to get you the best novel/story/article possible and to get it published. You could also critique some of the other members' work too. It is surprising how that can help with you own. Check out the how-to guide threads in Main Share Your Work sub-forum, then post your material in one of the genre sub-forums.

If you want some feedback on your query letter you could try posting yours in the Query Letters & Synopses part of the Share Your Work Forum (password is vista).

In the meantime, take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Traditional Irish Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there, J.J., and welcome to AW. I'm also a teacher, and have been for many years. I still find a lot of satisfaction in my job, even though the young people are different from the ones thirty years ago. This morning, one of them called me 'Mummy' - and I've experienced that more than once. I also find that those I've had in my classes some ten, fifteen years ago, still get into contact and ask for my advice. So you see, teaching is a very fine job, with lots of rewards.

Nickie

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. Good luck.

jjbenedict

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jjbenedict.wordpress.com
Nickie,
I think what you've done is wonderful and I value the hard working, dedicated teachers of our world. I love the art of teaching and value my students on many levels. However, at the school where I teach, creativity and even humanity, are secondary to mandates, theories, and bureaucracy. That is why I am cynical about education at the moment.

J.J.B.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5-2.gif

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Nice to meet you, J.J.B.

I'm a dreaded school governor over here in the UK (do you have them in the U.S.A.?). I know the hard work teacher's put in so it's always hard when you hear one's losing faith in the system...

Hopw you have a better time here, hun. They're a good bunch.