Not A Good Contest

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
General Mills is sponsoring a contest called "Spoonfuls of Stories." It's for new writers of children's books. You can read about it here.

What I don't like--and writers should be aware of--is the following:
"You also agree that if you are a Grand Prize or First Prize Winner, your story becomes the sole property of General Mills, and General Mills reserves the right to edit, adapt, copyright, publish, transfer and use all or a part of your entry without further compensation. " And "the Grand Prize winning story submission will be offered to Simon & Schuster, Inc."(Bolding mine) Therefore, S&S does not have to accept the story for publication.

Though it also states: "Publishing terms and contract will be handled independently by Simon & Schuster; if there is any additional compensation it will be negotiated between the author and the publisher." If--and that's a big "if"--S&S decides to publish the winner's work, the author better be prepared with an agent or good lit. lawyer. Even then S&S can just decline.

Also, entrants cannot ever have been published for pay, whether as a blogger or in a newspaper, etc.

About the only good thing is that anyone other than the two winners who submit their work, get to keep their rights. :rolleyes:

Brad

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, if the story is good enough to win the grand prize, the writer is probably better off keeping the rights and getting it published for what it is worth, which is probably more than $5,000. You wouldn't think that such a large corporation would need to be so cheap.

TnTexas

Registered
Reaction score
Is the publishing part really that big of an if? Haven't the other winners all been published?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Last year's winner wasn't pubbed by S&S nor any publisher, as far as I can see. I looked her up on Amazon books.

Also, if a winner doesn't get picked up by S&S, they can't go anywhere else since rights were given away to General Mills, as per the contest contract. And General Mills can do anything they want with the winning ms., and the winner gets nothing else. Reread the above.

Not a good thing.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I don't think entering a contest and then winning would automatically transfer ownership. I think you'd need to at least cash the check. But I don't really know for sure.

Either way, good catch Stormie; that's one contest I'll steer clear of. My guess is G.Mills lawyer isn't a literary lawyer doesn't know anything about first rights, reprint rights, etc. and so just claimed the whole damn thing.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the rights or the financial arrangements, but the current winner, L0ri D3gman's 1 Z@ny Z0o, is being published by S1mon & Shu5ter in July. Lori announced it on Verla Kay's Blue Boards.

ETA: To me, It doesn't seem like a bad deal. Lori's book will be in the hands of thousands of children who might not have it, whose parents might remember her and buy another book. She will probably be attractive to agents, and she has an editor at S&S to whom she can pitch other ideas anyway. Breaking in with picture books is tough. Even if $5,000 is her only compensation (and it might not be), I don't think that that is that low for a first-time picture book, is it? But yeah, I should think Che3rios could kick in a bigger prize.

Last edited:

TnTexas

Registered
Reaction score
Last year's winner wasn't pubbed by S&S nor any publisher, as far as I can see. I looked her up on Amazon books.

According to the contest's registration page, it apparently it takes a couple of years for the winners to be published. 2008's winner is due to show up in cereal boxes this year, and her book is listed as a preorder on Amazon, due to come out in July. Last year's winner is scheduled to show up in cereal boxes next year so I'm assuming that that's when her book will be published:

Meet Laurie Isop. Her story, How Do You Hug a Porcupine, won the Grand prize in the 2009 Cheerios® New Author Contest. She won $5,000 from Cheerios®, and will have her book published by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing.

So apparently Simon and Schuster do agree to publish the winning manuscript, but they don't guarantee to publish other manuscripts by the winners.

Now whether or not it's a good thing to enter the contest, I don't know. However publishing companies pretty much get the rights to your story when they buy them for publication; don't they? If so, how is this scenario different from that?

ETA: To me, It doesn't seem like a bad deal. Lori's book will be in the hands of thousands of children who might not have it, whose parents might remember her and buy another book. She will probably be attractive to agents, and she has an editor at S&S to whom she can pitch other ideas anyway. Breaking in with picture books is tough. Even if $5,000 is her only compensation (and it might not be), I don't think that that is that low for a first-time picture book, is it? But yeah, I should think Cheerios could kick in a bigger prize.

This is what I was thinking. It really doesn't sound like that bad of a deal to me.

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I dson't like that 'without further compensation' statement. Does that mean if it goes on to sell a million copies you wo't get a penny?

That doesn't sound right to me.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Wait - your story becomes the sole property of General Mills?

How can you then sell publishing rights to S&S?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wait - your story becomes the sole property of General Mills?

How can you then sell publishing rights to S&S?
That's where a good lit lawyer or lit agent would come in.

As for the contest itself--S&S does not have to publish the book. SO--if you are the grand prize winner or first place, and S&S doesn't decide to publish the book, that person's PB will just be in the cereal boxes, since Gen Mills owns all rights.

A new writer would be far better off getting a lit agent. If they're that good to win a prize, then they could get an agent.

And you don't know what the contract with S&S is. Could be the contract from h**l.

Last edited:

TnTexas

Registered
Reaction score
I dson't like that 'without further compensation' statement. Does that mean if it goes on to sell a million copies you wo't get a penny?

That doesn't sound right to me.

According to the rules:

One (1) Grand Prize of $5000 cash will be awarded. In addition to the cash prize, the Grand Prize winning story submission will be offered to Simon & Schuster, Inc. for future publication. The $5000 will be awarded as a check made payable to the Grand Prize winner. Approximate value of the Grand Prize is $5000. Publishing terms and contract will be handled independently by Simon & Schuster; if there is any additional compensation it will be negotiated between the author and the publisher.

The rules state that any further compensation will be negotiated between the winner and Simon & Schuster so I'm guessing any royalties from the book will be spelled out in the publishing contract. It's General Mills themselves who won't give you any more compensation on the story.

********************************************​

As for the contest itself--S&S does not have to publish the book. SO--if you are the grand prize winner or first place, and S&S doesn't decide to publish the book, that person's PB will just be in the cereal boxes, since Gen Mills owns all rights.

But S&S is providing the book that will be in the cereal boxes so they will be publishing it in at least one format.

A new writer would be far better off getting a lit agent. If they're that good to win a prize, then they could get an agent.

And if he's good enough to get an agent, then his winning story is probably good enough to publish and S&S won't turn it down. And if his story wins and is published by S&S, he'll probably have an easier time (at least slightly easier) hooking an agent - assuming he's interested in a writing career.

********************************************​

No they don't have to. Reread the contest rules.

I have, and it still sounds to me that S&S has agreed to publish the winner's story and will forge a contract directly with him/her. Apparently they've published or are in the process of publishing the other winners without any problems. I don't see why any should be anticipated this time around.

And you don't know what the contract with S&S is. Could be the contract from h**l.

I suppose that's certainly possible.

Last edited:

samitestar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
booksmakemehungry.blogspot.com
I think it could be a good step up for a beginning writer.

I submitted my book, Pickles, Pancakes and Pirates a couple of months before I got a contract for my romance novel.

My only complaint is that the judges seem to only pick stories with animals or rhyme, ah well. I should have researched the past winners before hashing out my story.

Anyway, I don't think there could be many negatives to going from unknown and unpublished to winning a contest like this. At the least a writer could mention the prize when querying other books.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
The rules state that any further compensation will be negotiated between the winner and Simon & Schuster so I'm guessing any royalties from the book will be spelled out in the publishing contract. It's General Mills themselves who won't give you any more compensation on the story.

It sounds like GM may not have intended to take all rights (or at any rate, didn't realise what it meant). If they had, they'd be the ones selling it to S&S and getting the royalties.

However, it doesn't change the wording of the agreement, which says they get the copyright and become the owner of the work. All it'd take is a manager change at the company and they could be taking those authors to court for any payments they received from S&S.

At the moment, the only reason it hasn't gone horribly wrong is GM hasn't tried to enforce that part of the agreement. That's an unstable position for the authors.

LDeg

Registered
Reaction score
I was the 2008 winner of the contest and it's the best thing that's ever happened to me - other than my kids :) I thought I’d set the record straight - here’s what happened:

- In November, GM called and told me I won the contest.
- In December, I signed a standard contract with S&S, totally independent of GM.
- Throughout the year, I worked with the editor at S&S and the book went to press.
- Fast forward to this month - GM contacted the media and I’ve already done newspaper and magazine interviews, next week I’m doing TV and radio interviews and they tell me there will be many more to come.
- The book comes out in July and the illustrator and I each get the same royalties other first-time writers and illustrators receive.

This has been an unbelievably amazing experience and I’m so grateful to GM and S&S! I would recommend it to all picture book writers - I don’t see any down side to doing it!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Lori, and clearing up the misconceptions. Congratulations! I'll look for your book in cereal boxes and bookstores...

ETA: I think the most valuable part of the contest that you wouldn't get with a standard debut picture book contract is the publicity. A) You have thousands of mini books out there, in the hands of children now, but also serving as promotion for other works and editions and B) You're doing media interviews! THAT is valuable and rare prize.

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lori, that's great you won. Congrats :)

But looking at the contest rules, it still seems Gen.Mills can do as they please with the ms. Not yours, Lori, at this stage of the game, but this year's. It's a chance a newbie is taking. What I stated in the first post is not a misconception, but stated facts directly from their contest rules.
If S&S does offer a contract, it should be looked over by a lit. attorney before signing.

As an aside, not a warning--only those who have never been published for pay can enter.

This is all only my two cents, as I've seen many contests over the years.

LDeg

Registered
Reaction score
Stormie - the Cheerios marketing people read these posts and they have informed the people at GM about the confusion and I think they will rewrite the rules in the furture to make them clearer. It really is a great opportunity!!

kdbeaar

Trying to finish at least 1 ms!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't see any downside in this.

If you're unpublished--and you'd have to be, to enter the contest--we all know how hard it is to get a picture book published. So this would be a great opportunity.

I bought a Cheerios box with a winning story in it, and now that story is in my house, where my children can read it. How can that be bad? And the author has access to a publishing house, and perhaps an agent, where they can submit more books under separately negotiated contracts.

We're talking about a 500-word story here, max (their rules). It's not like it's your life's work that you're letting go for cheap. I think it's a wonderful opportunity. And if S & S and/or GM rewords the rules, so much the better.

Lori, congratulations! What a wonderful thing for you. I'm totally jealous!

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We've all congratulated Lori. But that is not what this thread is about. It's about this year's contest.At the point of beating a dead horse with a stick, S&S does not have to publish the winner. Please, reread my initial post. Gen.Mills/Cheerios states: "You also agree that if you are a Grand Prize or First Prize Winner, your story becomes the sole property of General Mills, and General Mills reserves the right to edit, adapt, copyright, publish, transfer and use all or a part of your entry without further compensation. "

Again, (and this is getting tiring repeating this), there is no misconception, no misunderstanding about the rules. They are stated very plainly by General Mills. So if S&S doesn't want anything to do with this year's grand prize winner (or the first prize winner) they get their prize money and that's it. Any further compensation to the writer is nil, yet Gen.Mills can do as they please with it.

S&S does not have to revise the rules. It's up to General Mills cereals to do that. If you reread the OP, you will see why I state it is not a good contest.