Article on Writer-Editor Relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
This is about a year old, but I didn't see it anywhere else on AW. It's an interview with legendary (in Canada, at least) editor Ellen Seligman of McLelland Stewart, discussing the author-editor relationship.

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=1312127

One writer mentions that in the course of editing his novel, he and Ellen had daily three-hour discussions. Don't know how common that is. Sounds a bit much, but hard to argue with her track record (she's edited Atwood, Ondaatje, Mistry and many others).

Anyone else have that kind of relationship with their editor?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Great link. Thanks for posting.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
This is about a year old, but I didn't see it anywhere else on AW. It's an interview with legendary (in Canada, at least) editor Ellen Seligman of McLelland Stewart, discussing the author-editor relationship.

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=1312127

One writer mentions that in the course of editing his novel, he and Ellen had daily three-hour discussions. Don't know how common that is. Sounds a bit much, but hard to argue with her track record (she's edited Atwood, Ondaatje, Mistry and many others).

Anyone else have that kind of relationship with their editor?

Daily three hour discussions sounds like immense overkill, and wouldn't be possible with most editors, even if needed. Most big editors I know are lucky if they have three hours per week to spare for anything or anyone. Many of them put in eight hours at the office, and then anotehr three or four hours each evening, and often a full Saturday, just to keep up.

But, yes, I've had some very good relationships with editors, and I've found most a great pleasure to work with. For the most part, an editor must loving writing, editing, and writers. Editors sure aren't in it for teh money.

When an agent finds a hot new writer, the agent can get very rich off her fifteen percent. All an editor gets is more hard work and another week's pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.