• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Stimola Literary Studio (Rosemary Stimola)

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
My friend, a YA/MG fantasy author, is looking for information on Rosemary Stimola of Stimola Literary Studio. I didn't see anything on Publishers Marketplace. P&E indicates that Ms. Stimola has sales on record. Has anyone here worked with either Ms. Stimola or her agency? Would you recommend this agency?

Many thanks!

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
She definitely appears to be reputable. I've "met" a couple authors online who are represented by her and seem quite happy with her. She accepts e-mail queries and is quick to respond to them; it only took her 15 minutes to reject mine.

jfreedan

Registered
Reaction score
She represents Suzanne Collins and her Underland Chronicles books. I learned that much about her before I queried her. And yes, she does reply back quickly via email.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just waking up this queue since The Blessed Rosemary asked me for a full ms.

I am curious about one thing. She asked me to send the full plus synopsis in a Word file and also snailmail it. Of course, I went down to the local Mailboxes Etc. since the PO was closed on Saturday and Monday was Mr. King's Day.

Any responses, comments, good news in re: Ms. Stimola?

Hopcus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiahopcus.com
I sent a (requested) full to Rosemary on Jan 17th, but I haven't heard back yet. Has anyone had any recent dealings with her? I wonder if her response times are longer now days.

williamfromkc

I'm keeping my day job
Registered
Reaction score
She responded to me so quickly that I think I received it before I sent my query.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Fast to queries, but how about ms?

Rosemary always seems to get back within a day on the initial query. I think both Hopcus and I are wondering is the turnaround on a full.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I only sent by e-mail and of course my paranoid brain is trying to convince me that somehow she didn't get it.

Ask her! She did send a brief note back to me on the email part of the submission. I thanked her for taking a look and she answered something like "no problem." Anyway, I know she received that part. Of course, I'm worried about the postal part. This was during all the worst weather back east. It was the Saturday before MLK Day, so I took it to a UPS Store to send out same day, which I couldn't do from a Post Office. Wait until Tuesday?!?!? No way!

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I sent an email to her yesterday asking whether she received the postal manuscript (bad weather, etc.). She answered within a half hour that she did get it and was reading now. She'd get back to me next week. Okay, one more week to fret and worry. That's okay, I'm hard at work on my next book, so I don't have much time to mess with the query research thing anyway.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
I can't help but weigh in here---

To have an agent get back to you on a full in under a month is very cool and absolutely exciting, but . . . you should know that many agents take months to respond. Three months or more is not out of the norm.

Good luck to all, but have patience.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i got a same day rejection today from
her, too. she is (i believe) the only site
that listed asian fantasy as an interest
and she passed on my novel.

and all the partial requests i've gotten
don't represent fantasy. go figure.
i guess my book does have many crossover
genre elements.

good luck to everyone!

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Rosemary must have taken Valentine's Day off. No word yet, but at least that means I didn't get a rejection. No news is (maybe) good news?

I am wrapping up another book for subbing and I'd like to hear from Rosemary before I start sending to other agents. You know, just in case.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like a good sign :).
Apparently not. A polite email no at the 1 month mark. She gavae a couple of comments I'm thinking about trying to figure out what exactly they mean. If I were face to face, I'd definitely ask for clarification and an example of what she means. As it is, I'll just have to ponder it until a lightbulb goes on.

Hopcus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiahopcus.com
Sorry to hear about the pass, I know how hard it is (on me at least) and trying to decode the messages just makes it that much more frustrating.

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
From what I heard of Rosemary, she's a standup agent who is blindingly fast with email subs. That said, she's always curteous with status queries, so if you didn't hear back within six weeks max, SQ/requery her. She doesn't bite.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
A new piece on the Stimola website submissions guide reads as follows:

While we have always striven to provide the courtesy of response to all queries, the extraordinarily large number now received makes that no longer possible. We can only respond now to those we wish to pursue further and will not be responsible for manuscripts submitted without regard to this policy, which supercedes any information listed in the writers’ guides or on other websites.

It's not unusual for some agencies to have a policy of not actually sending any rejection notice if they're not interested in a query (which is how I interpret this), but it's a good idea to know it going in.