Politicizing school textbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. Sorry if this has already been posted, but I just caught this and it's one of those I can believe it but can't believe it sort of things.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1253

Last I checked, we were a free country that allowed people to believe what they wanted. School wasn't for teaching kids to be good republicans or good democrats. In fact, I'm pretty certain education is supposed to be as unbiased as possible and teach students to think for themselves and make their own decisions.

You can bet if I already had kids, I'd be doing a letter writing campaign about this. In fact, I might write a few anyway. :tongue

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
but we don't want the kids thinking!

How are they going to grow up to be good Republicans unless they're taught often and early exactly what's black and white in the world, what's good and what's bad, and who's right and who's just a liar?

It's despicable. I'm glad I'm done with my education.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with Texas doing this is that their decision, as stated in the article, will ultimately affect everybody.

If it were my kids, I'd be looking at home schooling. And I'd say that if it were right wing or left wing. Political ideology, just like religion, has no business being taught in public schools.

Hmm - I've heard Texans have voiced their desire to secede on more than one occasion. Maybe it's time we let them ;)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
As has been said so many times before, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. (Thank you, Mr. Burke)
I would add to that, those who try to rewrite it, in today's information age, are more likely to have their children run down by it. (metaphorically speaking)

As foolish and backwards as these decisions are, what bugs me more is the treatment of "it's gonna effect all the other school's textbooks" as being a fact. That's a business model that doesn't have to hold anymore. Printing can be more flexible, and more regionally adaptable.

What I'm waiting for is out of state colleges (and some in state ones) to say "Oh you went to high school in Texas? Sure, you can enroll, but you're going to have to retake some history courses."

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
As foolish and backwards as these decisions are, what bugs me more is the treatment of "it's gonna effect all the other school's textbooks" as being a fact. That's a business model that doesn't have to hold anymore. Printing can be more flexible, and more regionally adaptable.
California officials have already said it won't affect California's textbook choices in any way.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
This has been an internal issue for decades, a fight those of us who are reasonable have been desperately trying to win despite the best efforts of the social conservatives. Even the right-leaning Dallas Morning News has been publishing nonstop editorials before every relevant election for as long as I can remember urging people to vote against any board members who support this Republican-revisionism (because it is a GOP issue, here) in textbooks. We've narrowly defeated it every other time in the past, but I think control has been slipping to the right over time.

Texas is its own country in many ways. Besides, we're all in favor of letting local school districts decide what's appropriate for educating their kids, aren't we?
The state textbook board decides what it will buy, and the districts have no say in the matter.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, there's a lot of garbage in the new requirements, but there's also this.
Curriculum standards also will describe the U.S. government as a "constitutional republic," rather than "democratic," and students will be required to study the decline in value of the U.S. dollar, including the abandonment of the gold standard.
The first point is unarguably true. As for the second, it receives a lot of grief in the MSM, but the truth is that the dollar is worth less than a nickle in 1913 purchasing power.

That's certainly "a decline in value of the U.S. dollar."

Now who's going to argue that those two points are invalid and inappropriate changes to the textbooks? They are corrections of errors in fact.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Texas is its own country in many ways. Besides, we're all in favor of letting local school districts decide what's appropriate for educating their kids, aren't we?
I am. Instead, what you have is STATE school boards deciding for all the local school districts in their state, so you end up with a big tail wagging the whole dog.

Let me guess, you'd prefer a monopoly board, instead of 50 separate ones. I'd rather see thousands of independent decisions than one, or 50.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
This has been an internal issue for decades, a fight those of us who are reasonable have been desperately trying to win despite the best efforts of the social conservatives. Even the right-leaning Dallas Morning News has been publishing nonstop editorials before every relevant election for as long as I can remember urging people to vote against any board members who support this Republican-revisionism (because it is a GOP issue, here) in textbooks. We've narrowly defeated it every other time in the past, but I think control has been slipping to the right over time.

The state textbook board decides what it will buy, and the districts have no say in the matter.
There is a real danger in viewing one's own beliefs as "reasonable" and the opposing beliefs as "revisionist". The situation in Texas is just the other side of the coin from California. The Texas, conservative bloc is reacting to what they see as liberal revisionism. Textbooks should represent a balance of both schools of thought.

I don't see any heroes or villians here. I just see villians.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
It shouldn't have to, but it does. If I remember correctly (and this is strictly from memory) 37 states follow Texas' lead. Texas buy so many books, that the textbook publishers use them as a benchmark.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with Texas doing this is that their decision, as stated in the article, will ultimately affect everybody.

If it were my kids, I'd be looking at home schooling. And I'd say that if it were right wing or left wing. Political ideology, just like religion, has no business being taught in public schools.

Hmm - I've heard Texans have voiced their desire to secede on more than one occasion. Maybe it's time we let them ;)

This was my issue as well. First of all, I don't like the idea of any school teaching political ideas to my kids. They can be taught facts and make up their minds. But the main issue is that because Texas does it, many other places are going to be affected by the decision, whether they would prefer it or not. And those people didn't get to have a say in the matter.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
This was my issue as well. First of all, I don't like the idea of any school teaching political ideas to my kids. They can be taught facts and make up their minds.
There's no such thing as non-political history. History and politics are inextricably interwoven. It should be possible, however, to provide a balance of political ideas.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
But which "facts" katie? The "fact" that the US is a democracy, or that it's a constitutional republic?

The "fact" that the Federal Reserve has destroyed 95% of the purchasing power of the dollar over the last 100 years, or the "fact" that pretend money issued by bankers is an objective store of value?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i think the overt politicization of textbooks is short-sighted and rigid.

but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that there's not a whole hell of a lot of political indoctrination going on in public schools.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
But if you spend 12 years learning it, how do you know it's indoctrination? :D By the time most people have invested that much time in a belief, they're highly unlikely to challenge it.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
They're teaching about hip-hop and/or country music in history class?
*checks textbooks* None of mine show it.

Some of these changes, if made, would have little impact. What books are they looking at that contain this allegedly objectionable material? Some of it, such as calling the United States a democracy versus a constitutional republic, is phrasing. It's also a matter of teaching. Nothing's stopping a teacher from noting that we are a constitutional republic, a democratic one. Every American history/government textbook discusses the constitution and democracy.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there. ~George Santayana[/FONT]

There's a tendency to look at look at the actions of the conservative bloc on the Texas State Board of Eduction and shrug, "Well, that's those crazy Texans down there" or just kind of ignore it as an isolated incident that "can't happen here."

Mistake.

One board member said the new textbooks were to counter history books "rife with leftist political periods and events — the populists, the progressives, the New Deal and the Great Society."

I don't care so much if Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five get glossed over in favor of Tammy Wynette. That's small potatoes in comparison to some of the other nips and tucks:

- A more positive portrayal of Cold War anticommunism.
Disgraced anticommunist crusader Joseph McCarthy, the Wisconsin senator censured by the Senate for his aggressive targeting of individual citizens and their civil liberties on the basis of their purported ties to the Communist Party, comes in for partial rehabilitation. The board recommends that textbooks refer to documents published since McCarthy’s death and the fall of the Soviet bloc that appear to show expansive Soviet designs to undermine the U.S. government.

- Language that qualifies the legacy of 1960s liberalism. Great Society programs such as Title IX—which provides for equal gender access to educational resources—and affirmative action, intended to remedy historic workplace discrimination against African-Americans, are said to have created adverse “unintended consequences” in the curriculum’s preferred language.

- Thomas Jefferson no longer included among writers influencing the nation’s intellectual origins. Jefferson, a deist who helped pioneer the legal theory of the separation of church and state, is not a model founder in the board’s judgment. Among the intellectual forerunners to be highlighted in Jefferson’s place: medieval Catholic philosopher St. Thomas Aquinas, Puritan theologian John Calvin and conservative British law scholar William Blackstone. Heavy emphasis is also to be placed on the founding fathers having been guided by strict Christian beliefs.

- Excision of recent third-party presidential candidates Ralph Nader (from the left) and Ross Perot (from the centrist Reform Party).Confederate President Jefferson Davis accompanying a speech by U.S. President Abraham Lincoln.
Meanwhile, the recommendations include an entry listing Confederate General Stonewall Jackson as a role model for effective leadership, and a statement from from Confederate President Jefferson Davis accompanying a speech by U.S. President Abraham Lincoln.

What type of accurate, honest or even realistic American history can be told when Thomas Jefferson is expunged from it?

thomas-jefferson-big-copy4.jpg

Conservatives on the board apparently disliked Jefferson for coining the phrase "separation of church and state."

Politically-slanted revisionism whether it's from the Right or from the Left is heavy-handed and antithetical to education. Propaganda is propaganda, no matter who's telling it or for whatever reason they do it.

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]There is nothing more dangerous than history used as a defense, or history used for preaching; history used as a tool is no longer history. ~Marcel Trudel[/FONT]

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you there, Nighttimer. It scares the heck out of me to think they're going to wholesale erase big figures from history. I don't mind redirecting attention to things that are often overlooked, but just deleting people from the books because they don't agree? What's next, do we pretend Hitler didn't exist because he did some terrible things?

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you there, Nighttimer. It scares the heck out of me to thinkthey're going to wholesale erase big figures from history. I don't mind redirecting attention to things that are often overlooked, but just deleting people from the books because they don't agree? What's next, do we pretend Hitler didn't exist because he did some terrible things?

Nah. Hitler just suffered from bad public relations and crisis management. Today, he'd go on Fox and Friends or sit next to Jay Leno saying, "I had no idea all that stuff was going on at Dachau and Bergin-Belsen. Nobody told me. I was outta the loop."

A tearful "press" conference later (no questions, please), a tearful mea culpa with Eva Braun standing by her man, and a short stint in anti-Semite rehab and he'd be back in business: tanned, rested and ready to impose his will upon all the non-Aryans mongrel races of the world.

I don't mind so much if Boards of Education feel some parts of history need to be stressed while others receive less emphasis, but this kind of heavy-handed slashing and burning is just taking one social agenda and imposing it in place of another.

It would be wrong if a liberal-leading board wanted to teach Ebonics was a legitimate variation of English, Jane Fonda was a citizen diplomat whose visit to North Vietnam hasted the end of the war, or the New Deal and Great Society had no unintended consequences by the expansion by government of the social safety net.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
But if you spend 12 years learning it, how do you know it's indoctrination? :D By the time most people have invested that much time in a belief, they're highly unlikely to challenge it.

I don't remember thinking everything I was taught in high school was true and moral. In fact I spent most of my teens rolling my eyes at everything an adult tried to tell me.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
But which "facts" katie? The "fact" that the US is a democracy, or that it's a constitutional republic?

The "fact" that the Federal Reserve has destroyed 95% of the purchasing power of the dollar over the last 100 years, or the "fact" that pretend money issued by bankers is an objective store of value?

My program was unusual, granted, but we had to learn 2 sides [minimum] about practically everything we learned:

The xxx school of thought prefers the term 'constitutional republic' because...

Whereas the yyy's argue that the more correct term is "democratic republic" because....

Yeah, multiple choice tests were few and far between :)

And I agree that it's hard to decide which are 'the facts'. But what is wrong with learning that there are at least a few major schools of thought in nearly anything you can think of?

Status
Not open for further replies.