• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sarah Jane Freymann Literary Agency

PirateCat

Registered
Reaction score
PirateCat, I don't think a brief, polite inquiry (or re-query with a note at the top about your delivery failure message) will be taken amiss...

I haven't posted in this thread before, but I just wanted to note that I signed with Jessica last spring, she sold my book (YA) in the summer, and I've been extremely happy working with her. She's responsible, responsive, very astute with her editorial notes, and just a cool person.

Fuchsia Groan, thanks for your input! I've been mulling it over all day and I think you're right. I'll re-query with a note at top. I'm just hesitant to add to their work load over there because it's sounds like they're buried in queries.

Congrats on the success of your YA book! I'm targeting Sarah Jane specifically (because I'm querying memoir) but from everything I've heard Jessica is an exceptional agent, and I hope I cross paths with her at some point.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with Sarah Jane, PC! I haven't dealt directly with her, but it sounds like she really knows her stuff.

Last edited:

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering about her submission time. I queried Sarah 3-10-2015. She requested the ms 4-27-2015. I've not heard from her since. Someone told me she only reads requested materials if another agent has offered to rep it, but I've seen nothing supporting that claim on her QT stats.

Sungoddess

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering about her submission time. I queried Sarah 3-10-2015. She requested the ms 4-27-2015. I've not heard from her since. Someone told me she only reads requested materials if another agent has offered to rep it, but I've seen nothing supporting that claim on her QT stats.

I was just wondering about her today myself. I really wanted to work with her because it seems she would handle my genre well. The submission guidelines say, " It's not unusual for this first step in the process to take a few weeks." That seems like a long wait from 4-27 to now to hear back about your manuscript. I really wish there was a way agents could keep us in the loop on what's happening. The waiting game is beyond depressing.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

At this point, I think you'd be well within your rights to check in. Agents check in with editors all the time, so they're used to it. She still might not respond, but it might make you feel better.

And Sungoddess, I hear you on the waiting. It's completely crazy-making.

slbynum3

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a weird experience with Jessica Sinsheimer not responding to my full.

I queried her in April 2015 (about a YA thriller) and received a full request on May 12, 2015, so I sent it to her. Since then I have participated in two #PitMad parties on twitter, and when I pitched this same novel, Jessica "liked" my twitter pitch twice, once in June and once in December. She obviously loves the concept of my novel to keep requesting that I send her a query for it, but she already has the full! I nudged her on twitter, and she said she would check to see if she received the manuscript, but I never got a response after that. She's had my full for 7 months now.

It makes me wonder how she has time to go through pitches during #PitMad, but doesn't have time to read the fulls she has requested...but she seems like a cool agent, and I'm hoping that I get a chance to work with her if no other offer comes along in the meantime.

Last edited:

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Have you emailed her a short, polite follow-up nudge since sending the MS?

slbynum3

Registered
Reaction score
mayqueen, I've heard other people have been nudging by email and not receiving a response. So I tried twitter and she seems to respond that way, sort of. I might try sending a nudge to her personal email though instead of her submission email and see if that works. Thanks for the idea.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would send her a nudge email to whatever email address she used to request your full. She might not respond to query-related emails at her personal email address. Or she might. I don't know. I just don't think twitter is the most effective means of communication because it's generally fairly removed from your submission. Just respond to the latest email she sent you and change the subject line, of course. But that way, she can scroll down and review the previous emails.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
So I have a new agent! Jessica Sinsheimer is now representing my novel about a theme park that feeds on blood and injuries and death!

A timeline for those interested:

EQ: 4/15/16
Full Request: 6/14/16
Offer: 7/5/16
Acceptance of offer (after notifying other agents): 7/14/16

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Thedrellum! Your book sounds deliciously gory :).

sasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbarabarnett.com
Congrats. I'm also repped by Sarah Jane Freymann (Katharine Sands is my agent). My second book is to come out in October (went from Non-fiction to Fiction with the same agent). Best of luck with your book. My best advice: Have much, much patience!!!! It's a marathon, not a sprint.

So I have a new agent! Jessica Sinsheimer is now representing my novel about a theme park that feeds on blood and injuries and death!

A timeline for those interested:

EQ: 4/15/16
Full Request: 6/14/16
Offer: 7/5/16
Acceptance of offer (after notifying other agents): 7/14/16

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Thank you for the welcome, sasmom! Yeah, I had a previous agent and two manuscripts on sub with no bites, so I'm prepared for the long haul intellectually even if I can't convince my mind/body that patience is a virtue (or at least necessary).

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for an agent....Sara Jane Freymann.

Hi :)

I'm putting together a list of agents that represent non-fiction. I must say I really like the sound of Sara Jane Freymann, she seems to be everything I could wish for in an agent but there are no recent sales in my genre.
Do you think I should query her? Or look for an agent with more sales when it comes to books similar to mine?

Is there anyone who has experience with this agent/ agency?

Thanks a lot.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Welcome. The agency does have its own thread, with a last entry of a couple of weeks ago.

The Google search at the bottom, left side of the page will search the forum for you. LPT: Use the agent's or agencies name "in quotes"

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
There's a thread on her agency here (<snipped>) Note the "h" in her name. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Yes, Sarah.... definitely I'm not my best self today! I want to quit this game called Life! :(

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Yes, Sarah.... definitely I'm not my best self today! I want to quit this game called Life! :(

I've done that with names before too. Just pointing it out because a search for "Sara" did not pull up the existing thread. (I queried her a few years ago, but it was a fiction project. I can't remember if I got a response or not.)

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Though this doesn't help in regard to Sarah Jayne Freymann specifically, I'm represented by Jessica Sinsheimer who is another agent at SJFA. She's wonderful and great and grand and really helped perfect my book for submission. I don't have a sale yet, but I know Jessica is making/has made other sales, and my general experience of the agency is that they do well by their authors.

K.L Hallam

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karenleehallamwrites.blogspot.com
I've had a weird experience with Jessica Sinsheimer not responding to my full.

I queried her in April 2015 (about a YA thriller) and received a full request on May 12, 2015, so I sent it to her. Since then I have participated in two #PitMad parties on twitter, and when I pitched this same novel, Jessica "liked" my twitter pitch twice, once in June and once in December. She obviously loves the concept of my novel to keep requesting that I send her a query for it, but she already has the full! I nudged her on twitter, and she said she would check to see if she received the manuscript, but I never got a response after that. She's had my full for 7 months now.

It makes me wonder how she has time to go through pitches during #PitMad, but doesn't have time to read the fulls she has requested...but she seems like a cool agent, and I'm hoping that I get a chance to work with her if no other offer comes along in the meantime.

The same happened with my pitch. After Jessica requested the partial (?) from a pitch contest. I never received a response -- and she continued to like my pitches on twitter. She is very personable, so it's a little odd. Though, likely she's very, very busy. (or I've gone to spam every time) I've also nudged and didn't get a response then, either. Good luck!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not seeing Jessica listed as an agent to query on the submissions page on their website but QT still has her at the agency and doesn't say she's closed. Her MSWL also indicates she's open. I had a request for more work from her after a prior rejection and am now ready to submit again. The website copyright says 2015 and the client info is outdated, so I'm guessing the rest hasn't been updated. I know Sharon Chriscoe has more than one book. Any new info on the agency?

Last edited:

novelgirl

YA Fantasy Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennadevillier.wordpress.com
Hi all! I received my first-ever full request on my second manuscript yesterday from Jessica!

EQ: 3/12
FR: 6/6
Sent: 6/6
Re-sent to her new agency email per her direction on Twitter: 9/19

Fingers crossed!

Last edited: