• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sarah Jane Freymann Literary Agency

Lindzy1954

Chi-Town Scribbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tiptoe-kisses.blogspot.com
Has it really only been a week since I submitted to Jessica? I have three fulls out right now but for some reason, I am terribly nervous about her response. Everything I have ever read about her is positive and based on her interviews, she is a very hands-on agent. I have to admit, waiting for two months seems unbearable right now!

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Well... got an R today on my full, :( she said thanks for sharing my work with her to start then went on to say it was a great concept with many strong lines, she really enjoyed reading it but not quite right.

This is my first rejection on submitted material so it kinda stung a bit more then a rejection off a query, but oh well time to suck it up and move on.

blackink

Registered
Reaction score
She asked for a full within two days. Within another two days I had an offer from another agent, and I emailed her with this information. She wanted to take a week, but I told her I needed to hear sooner (to be honest, she wasn't my top choice for a variety of reasons). But she would have been in the game, if she was very excited about the novel, for example.

Ten days later I got a polite rejection, her telling me that she loved a lot of it, but it was ultimately a no. I was represented by then.

blackink

Registered
Reaction score
Well... got an R today on my full, :( she said thanks for sharing my work with her to start then went on to say it was a great concept with many strong lines, she really enjoyed reading it but not quite right.

This is my first rejection on submitted material so it kinda stung a bit more then a rejection off a query, but oh well time to suck it up and move on.

That's too bad, AlishaS. I also feel that rejections of the actual material sting more. I had about 12 on my partials or fulls before securing an agent. Don't give up, send out more queries right now!

Lindzy1954

Chi-Town Scribbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Oh, so sorry to hear that. I have received four rejections now on my full and it stings every time it seems. I have a full still out with Jessica but to be honest, I think she is so inundated with queries and manuscripts that it truly has to be something amazing for her to offer representation. On a positive note, she seems to be a very sincere agent and so I would be pleased to have gotten such a nice rejection from her. She obviously enjoyed your writing and concept, so maybe it only needs some minor tweaking:) Good luck and keep querying!!

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with Steve Schwartz lately? I queried in January and not a sound. Website gives the impression they respond to all.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Traven,

Not sure if this helps, but I queried Steve a few months ago and received a rejection about a month later-if you haven't heard since January, maybe a re-query is in order?
I think they do reply to all queries...

simplyaven

Registered
Reaction score
I just realized this was a form rejection they send - the one with the great concept, enjoyed reading it, and not quite right, although Jessica has added some tidbits about the details she particularly liked. She rejected my full in about a week, very quick.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I had Steve Schwartz as an agent for a short time. He is a really good guy, but is not terribly known in the industry--despite the fact that he is Sarah's husband. He is forthright and honest. He didn't sell my novel, but I like him. I don't know how he is about responding to queries. I think he responded to mine pretty quickly.

Ghanima

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a partial from Jessica a day after I sent my query, and a very polite rejection which said it was a great concept and she enjoyed reading it, but not right fit for her. I emailed back thanking her for the encouragement, and she sent a wonderful reply back. She might not have snapped up my manuscript, but I seriously appreciate the fact that she was very warm, friendly, and very quick in her replies. She's tops in my opinion for her warmth alone; too bad manuscript wasn't quite right, but I shall perservere thanks to her, and so many other agents encouragement!

Lydia

Lindzy1954

Chi-Town Scribbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I got a request for a partial from Jessica a day after I sent my query, and a very polite rejection which said it was a great concept and she enjoyed reading it, but not right fit for her. I emailed back thanking her for the encouragement, and she sent a wonderful reply back. She might not have snapped up my manuscript, but I seriously appreciate the fact that she was very warm, friendly, and very quick in her replies. She's tops in my opinion for her warmth alone; too bad manuscript wasn't quite right, but I shall perservere thanks to her, and so many other agents encouragement!

Lydia

Sorry to hear that Lydia, but I am glad that the email you received reinforced your desire to continue querying! I have a full out with Jessica and have heard nothing but wonderful things about her from people who have submitted as well as clients. In terms of correspondence she certainly is much more approachable than most. Good luck in the future!

Ghanima

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, absolute best of luck to you Lindsay, have fingers crossed (I'd do toes, but...not gonna happen, lol) that your full gets the love it and must have it treatment SOON!

Lydia

Lindzy1954

Chi-Town Scribbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, absolute best of luck to you Lindsay, have fingers crossed (I'd do toes, but...not gonna happen, lol) that your full gets the love it and must have it treatment SOON!

Lydia

Thanks Lydia,

I appreciate it. I have to admit that I am on pins and needles over here because Jessica has had my MS since March 15th. Now, that's not a long period of time at all, I know. Plus, she was kind enough to allow me to submit some revisions, so that likely set my submission back as well. Either way, I hope she likes it too:)

trisha

Closet Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the rejection, Lydia, but I'm glad she gave you the encouragement you needed to keep querying. That yes will come!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you Lindsay. I was on pins and needles too when Jessica had my ms. Waiting I think is the hardest part. She has a great blog, too. From the sounds of it she's been busy so I'm sure she'll read it soon! Like I said, crossing my fingers for you.

Trisha

Last edited:

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a partial from them only two days after I sent my query. Unfortunately it didn't work out. They're professional and quick to respond, which is a definite plus.

Lindzy1954

Chi-Town Scribbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
THanks for the words of encouragement guys. I agree that Jessica is polite and professional, not to mention super passionate about the works she takes on. My fingers are crossed!!

Ghanima

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Ack, Lindsay, I'm as impatient as you are for a GOOD reply from Jessica to you...hope to hear good news from you soooooooon :)

Lydia

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
I e-mailed Sarah Jane on Monday; today, Wednesday, Jessica asked for a full. Made my day. especially when everyone says good things about her. Only I can't find any record of sales. I'd be happy if someone that enthusiastic and hardworking fell in love with my novel, and the agency itself is highly reputable. But if she winds up liking the ms., I don't know whether it's a good move to sign with someone who hasn't sold any fiction. Does anybody know more about this?

Moost

Is not my real name
Registered
Reaction score
New York. If you see me anywhere else I'm lost.
I e-mailed Sarah Jane on Monday; today, Wednesday, Jessica asked for a full. Made my day. especially when everyone says good things about her. Only I can't find any record of sales. I'd be happy if someone that enthusiastic and hardworking fell in love with my novel, and the agency itself is highly reputable. But if she winds up liking the ms., I don't know whether it's a good move to sign with someone who hasn't sold any fiction. Does anybody know more about this?

I know that Jessica sold a debut YA paranormal to Penguin in December. It was a two book deal.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk

Hi there! Congratulations and good luck!
Now, I understand that you queried Sarah Jane but Jessica asked for the full? Was you mail addressed to SJ? I ask because I intend querying her in a few weeks time. She seems to be still taking on clients -- did you target her specifically? Very curious, I am!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! Congratulations and good luck!
Now, I understand that you queried Sarah Jane but Jessica asked for the full? Was you mail addressed to SJ? I ask because I intend querying her in a few weeks time. She seems to be still taking on clients -- did you target her specifically? Very curious, I am!

I can't speak for Novelhistorian, Aruna, but I can tell you that last year I queried Sarah Jane and got a full request from Steve Schwartzman. I seem to recall someone else mentioning a request from another agent after querying Sarah Jane as well.

She seems to pass things along she thinks others are interested in. I was very pleased with my experience with Steve.