• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Zilyon Publishing

5bcarnies

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorinthedark.blogspot.com
Has anyone heard of this publishing house before?

My husband is at Monster Mania in NJ this weekend, and they're there. He got to talking with them, and discovered that they publish horror, sci-fi, paranormal, urban fantasy, etc.

I was told they have a website. Checked it out. The only thing listed is a book that is up to purchase. Tried P&E; nothing.

Though so little has been found I have to admit I'm a bit psyched. My hubby got to talking, and kind of dry-pitched my ms. He went so far as to describe the first chapter. They loved it. But I won't go further with the company if they aren't legit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Link: http://www.zilyonpublishing.com/

My guess? Author-turned-publisher. Those are just too various genres to be able to sell well under one house. They're also using createspace to publish their books, or at least this one book. I'd look elsewhere.

cal_in_space

Taking small sips of the punch...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. 5bcarnies sorry you couldnt find us. The cards we gave out for Zilyon at Monster Mania had our email on it and we are in the process of putting up a new website. True, we are a new publshing company and the only book we have published is mine but I never say anything different when promoting Zilyon. I started Zilyon Publishing with my friend to publish my book my way. Publishers take a long time to review books, expect the author to change the cover, among other things, and often ask for alot of money up front. We don't ask for anything except commitment and hard work.
Stats: I have sold 450 books (ebook and paperback) since publishing November 29th, 2009. My book is in paperback (In multiple fonts. Imagine that ;) ) and Kindle formats. I also have it on Smashwords, IndiependentPublishing.com, Lulu, and Kobo. I have alot of fans of the book on Facebook at "http://www.facebook.com/pages/Het-Madden-A-Zombie-Perspective/206692442512?ref=ts" and my author site is in the works. I do have a site on Amazon at "" as well. I published my book for $0.00 dollars up front and that is our business model for anyone that we publish. We also offer a 50/50 split of profits with the author. Most publishers don't do that. We are in talks with 5 people right now, 3 of which came from Monster Mania (which by the way was FUN!!!). I am also speaking on self publishing at CREATE South on April 17th in Myrtle Beach.
In short, we are legit... Just a new company. Gotta start somewhere. We expect to have 3 books out by this fall. I really enjoy helping people with their work, too. I think everyone should be able to write and be published. The feeling you get when you see and feel your book for the first time is AMAZING!!! And as for CreateSpace, they offer a great product and print on demand for a low price. They also sell through Amazon and their own site, which is also advantageous when you don't want to spend up front.
Good luck with your book and please don't wait to long to get it out there. So many people wait and never have the pleasure of others reading their work. The first time a total stranger who bought your book tells you that they LOVED it is something you never forget. I remember your husband and I enjoyed talking to him. Wish we could have worked together :). If you want to email me I will be glad to give you some tips I have learned, as well as encouragement! Get that book out there!
-Cal Miller. Zilyon Publishing. [email protected].

Last edited:

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Publishers take a long time to review books, expect the author to change the cover, among other things, and often ask for alot of money up front.

Just wanted to say that legit commercial publishers don't expect the author to pay anything. The author gets part of their advance from the publisher upon signing a contract and generally the other half when they deliver the finished product. Also, most authors don't already have cover art when they sign with a publisher. That's part of the publisher's job to do cover art. About the only true part of your statement is the publishing process takes a while. That's the nature of the biz and isn't likely to change anytime soon.

What you seem to be describing is vanity presses and the like that charge to publish. Those are not legit.

Cheers.

cal_in_space

Registered
Reaction score
Publishers take a long time to review books, expect the author to change the cover, among other things, and often ask for alot of money up front.

First of all, everything I said is true. All these things happened to me.
  1. Many publishers do take a long time to review, as you admit. I got anywhere from 6-9 months. As a smaller publisher I am turning books around in weeks.
  2. Many publishers want to do the cover as you said. I wanted to use my own cover. To complete the vision, you know? I think the author should be able to do that if they want, or at least have a say in it. If not, we will gladly do it as the publisher should.
  3. Yes many of the publishers were vanity publishers and the ones I contacted often asked for money up front. Not always though.
Bottom line I think it is hard for a first time author to get their work out there and I am happy I did it my way. I also genuinely want to help others do the same. I am not here to try and drum up business or anything. I just want to make sure folks dont think I'm not legit. Zilyon is a small publisher and just starting out. Gotta start somewhere. Be sure that we are honest, hard working, and completely legit.

-Cal
[email protected]

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Most threads here are not about legit versus scam. They are about whether one is a legit tiger or a legit hamster, metaphorically speaking.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Publishers take a long time to review books, expect the author to change the cover, among other things, and often ask for alot of money up front. We don't ask for anything except commitment and hard work.

Neither do commercial publishers. Your ignorance of publishing doesn't endear you as a publisher.

Stats: I have sold 450 books (ebook and paperback) since publishing November 29th, 2009.

For a self-published work, this probably isn't too bad. For a publisher, even a small one, that's kind of poor.

I published my book for $0.00 dollars up front and that is our business model for anyone that we publish.

Also the business model of every other commercial publisher.

We also offer a 50/50 split of profits with the author.

50% of cover or net?

Most publishers don't do that.

Yet their current model seems to work out for both them and authors.

I am also speaking on publishing at CREATE South on April 17th in Myrtle Beach.

what qualifies you to speak on publishing? Publishing one book doesn't count, by the way.

cal_in_space

Registered
Reaction score
Hey M.R.J. Le Blanc. I'm speaking on self-publishing one's work. I've done that. And I am loving it! It is so rewarding. I got the book, and a web comic www.TedDead.com. I am also working with an author on a really cool SciFi book that she was too shy to put out. She is very happy with the way things are going, and I expect others will be too. I also spoke with a movie director this past weekend about making my book "Het Madden" into a film. THAT is gonna be Awesome! And I am going to publish a book on HIS work that should be alot of fun. And there are 2 or 3 in the pipeline, so things are going well.

Through all this I have met so many cool people, and I have to say you crack me up. Why so mean spirited? Life is really too short for that. At least you're passionate though! I like that! As far as publishing, when I talk to folks they have usually been through the same crap as I have publisher-wise. I never said I am doing anything revolutionary, just trying to have fun, meet people, and help get books out there that may not have seen the light of day. Don't get why that has stirred up so much bad emotion...
-Cal

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Mean-spirited? Well I can see how that might come across, but it wasn't how it was intented, so please don't assume :) Though your response sounds like you're responding light-heartedly. Anyway, I asked simple questions, since you came here advertising yourself as a publisher. Questions that get asked of every publisher who comes through here. Considering all the startups just like yours that have gone bust and taken the authors with them, I think it's important that they get asked. Taking on other peoples' books is a huge responsibility. Self-publishing and commercial publishing are two different worlds, and you don't appear to know much about the latter. I'm no expert, but being here for over a year has taught me a few things.

And honestly, books that haven't seen the light of day are that way for a reason. Have a look at the Authonomy boards and the kind of unpublishable material that makes up 90% of what gets written ;)

cal_in_space

Registered
Reaction score
I was kinda kidding. :). But I didn't come here to advertise at all. One of my friends said they saw that someone that I met at Monster Mania was on here and couldn't find me or Zilyon. I just came on to let them know our site is being upgraded and I saw that some people thought I wasn't legit. I just wanted to let everyone know I was legit and not trying to take advantage of anyone. I even said up there a ways that I was not advertising. I have a full plate right now and am in no position to come and advertise. I want to give the books I have now all the attention they deserve.

I disagree about the unpublished work though. I am putting the book I am working on now through thorough reviews to make sure it is of good quality. And it is really good. Besides, isn't life an adventure? I have so many people that bought my book and loved it. So I made them happy. What else is there?

I sent you a friend invite on Facebook. You're cool as h3ll...

-Cal

Last edited:

cal_in_space

Registered
Reaction score
Well this was just lovely, but I really must be going. Michelle, I hope to see you on Facebook. Everyone else: Goodbye, and keep writing! I hope you all get as many positivie vibes as you continue in your writing careers as I got here on this forum tonight as a new author and aspiring publisher.

And I really mean that ;)...

-Cal
"Work hard and be kind..."

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I just came on to let them know our site is being upgraded and I saw that some people thought I wasn't legit. I just wanted to let everyone know I was legit and not trying to take advantage of anyone.

No one here suggested in any way that you were trying to take advantage of anyone. What we did say was that you were a POD start-up, and most of those fail, and that you seem to have no publishing background and that makes you a poor risk for any writer looking to build a career.

As has been said around here many, many times before, "publisher" is not an entry-level job.

I even said up there a ways that I was not advertising. I have a full plate right now and am in no position to come and advertise.

But you're not really answering our questions, either, which I have to tell you looks kind of bad. Having joined the site and the thread--and welcome, we're glad to have you!--it's probably best if you stick around and talk, because this way it looks a little like you're running off rather than giving us information that commercial publishers are happy to discuss.

Had you not wanted to appear here at all, you could have registered with the site and then sent 5bcarnies a Private Message, or an email is she has that feature enabled.

I want to give the books I have now all the attention they deserve.

And you feel you can do that in weeks? Really? There's a reason why commercial publishers have such a long time between acceptance/contract and publication; it's because the book goes through several rounds of edits, then line edits, then copyedits, then galleys. And in there you have cover design--often involving photo shoots--and typesetting, and getting the book into catalogs in time for bookstores to order, and getting the sales team out there to sell it in person to those buyers for the bookstores, and printing advance copies to go to the major review publications in plenty of time for the reviews to be concurrent with the book's release, and lining up whatever promotion will be done...all in the name of producing a high-quality book which will be easily available and attractive to readers.

How are you managing to do all of that in weeks?

I disagree about the unpublished work though. I am putting the book I am working on now through thorough reviews to make sure it is of good quality. And it is really good.

Says who? I don't mean that in an offensive or challenging way, I'm genuinely curious. How many of these "reviews"--and what type of reviews do you mean?--can you do in weeks? Who is doing the reviewing? Do you have editorial experience, or any experience in any aspect of publishing?

Besides, isn't life an adventure? I have so many people that bought my book and loved it. So I made them happy. What else is there?

Life is indeed an adventure, and I would never tell you you're wrong for choosing to self-publish your book and being perfectly happy with that. If that's the way you want to go, more power to you, and best of luck!

But I kind of frown upon calling yourself a publisher and getting other people to give you their work without being honest with them; your comments above about publishers betray a serious lack of knowledge about the industry, and that can be dangerous.

Who knows? Perhaps one of the books you'll receive will be awesome. Is it really fair to publish that book, when the author could have gotten an agent, and a commercial publisher, and ended up with many, many more than 450 or so people reading and enjoying their work?

I really urge you to rethink accepting submissions and publishing other peoples' work. As for your own, again, I genuinely wish you the best of luck.

Oh, and by the way. This:

I hope you all get as many positivie vibes as you continue in your writing careers as I got here on this forum tonight as a new author and aspiring publisher.

And I really mean that ...

We're not stupid; you haven't gotten some sly dig in under our noses. All you've done is insulted people who've given countless hours of their time to help both aspiring and professional writers--writers like you, in fact--avoid getting cheated, avoid ending up with worthless books they can't sell, learn their craft, learn the industry, avoid the incompetent, become better writers, and build real careers. People who actually make our livings in this business and have for years; in some cases many years. People who've seen countless new POD publishers come and go, all of whom started out with the same optimism and "Publishing isn't that hard!" and "I want to give these books attention" and "Commercial publishing takes too long/costs money" which you have displayed in your posts here.

This isn't personal. It's business. No one is trying to insult you; we're treating you like a professional and asking questions about your business, questions any professional would be happy to answer.

Our purpose here is not to coddle aspiring publishers who don't know what they're doing. It's to help writers protect themselves and their work. And frankly, if being asked a few polite questions about your new business--the business you yourself admit you know little about and have little experience in (you called yourself an "aspiring" publisher)--seems this harsh to you, perhaps you should rethink this whole writing/publishing thing altogether. ;)

Again, although your sign-off was snide and meant to insult us, mine is not. I genuinely wish you luck, and would like it if you would come back, answer our questions, and keep us posted, and in the meantime both learn from us and teach us something; who knows? I think if you spend more time here you'll see what kind of place this really is; one where we genuinely care about writers, writing, and publishing, as well as many other things.

Last edited:

cal_in_space

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

I'm actually more determined to succeed now than I ever have been, and I've never been more confident that I will. This has really been a great learning experience as well as an interesting experience in human nature. You are all as passionate about this as I am and if I came into this without my eyes wide open, they sure are now. Peace.
-Cal

P.S. My sign-off was not meant to be snide and insulting. I'm just not that type of person. It was meant to be funny and make you laugh. That's why I included the ;).

P.P.S. Zombieland does ROCK! "The Crazies" is awesome too! Saw it Saturday night.

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I'm actually more determined to succeed now than I ever have been, and I've never been more confident that I will. This has really been a great learning experience as well as an interesting experience in human nature. You are all as passionate about this as I am and if I came into this without my eyes wide open, they sure are now. Peace.
-Cal

P.S. My sign-off was not meant to be snide and insulting. I'm just not that type of person. It was meant to be funny and make you laugh. That's why I included the ;).

P.P.S. Zombieland does ROCK! "The Crazies" is awesome too! Saw it Saturday night.

Well, in that case, I hope everyone you work with or deal with as you start and attempt to grow your business is as open, experienced, willing to listen, and helpful as you've been here.

And I really mean that. ;)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
cal_in_space:
I started Zilyon Publishing with my friend to publish my book my way. Publishers take a long time to review books, expect the author to change the cover, among other things, and often ask for alot of money up front.

Publishers take a long time to review manuscripts because they have to take a commercial decision as to whether those manuscripts are likely to make them money through sales, including analysing what the market is for such books.

As others have said, commercial publishers do not ask for any money up front.

Vanity publishers ask for money up front.

Commercial publishers also do not ask authors to change covers. This is because commercial publishers have artists who they hire to do the covers for them and usually authors have no say in what the cover is because the publisher will decide on the artwork that they think will increase sales.

cal_in_space:
We also offer a 50/50 split of profits with the author. Most publishers don't do that.

That's because most publishers will have paid an advance for the work, so that the author already has cash in hand.

How are you calculating the royalties - are they on net or cover price?

cal_in_space:
Just a new company. Gotta start somewhere.

Publishing is not an entry level business.

It requires capitalisation, a strong business plan, industry experience of product placement and a bit of luck to make it through the first couple of years.

Which of those do you have in place and can you give details?

cal_in_space:
And as for CreateSpace, they offer a great product and print on demand for a low price. They also sell through Amazon and their own site, which is also advantageous when you don't want to spend up front.

What distribution, marketing and promotion do you have in place?

cal_in_space:
Many publishers do take a long time to review, as you admit. I got anywhere from 6-9 months. As a smaller publisher I am turning books around in weeks.
Many publishers want to do the cover as you said. I wanted to use my own cover. To complete the vision, you know? I think the author should be able to do that if they want, or at least have a say in it. If not, we will gladly do it as the publisher should.
Yes many of the publishers were vanity publishers and the ones I contacted often asked for money up front. Not always though.

The fact that you were trying vanity presses in the first place doesn't bode well.

Did you try to get an agent for your book or did you try reputable commercial publishers that accept unsolicited submissions?

cal_in_space:
Bottom line I think it is hard for a first time author to get their work out there and I am happy I did it my way.

That's great, but how does doing that for your own work qualify you to do it for other people's? Are you going to be able to manage people's expectations? What happens if you go out of business in the first couple of years?

cal_in_space:
I just want to make sure folks dont think I'm not legit. Zilyon is a small publisher and just starting out. Gotta start somewhere. Be sure that we are honest, hard working, and completely legit.

It's not a question of whether you are legitimate or well intentioned or hard working. There are literally dozens of threads in this Forum about companies that, like you, started off with self-publishing the author's own work, enjoyed some modest sales success and then immediately leapt to publishing other people's work.

99.9% of those companies went under within 12 months - not because they were dishonest, but because they simply did not have the expertise or capitalisation to succeed.

cal_in_space:
I am also working with an author on a really cool SciFi book that she was too shy to put out. She is very happy with the way things are going, and I expect others will be too.

Why didn't you do this author a favour and encourage her to seek an agent for her work before going down the self-publishing route?

cal_in_space:
I also spoke with a movie director this past weekend about making my book "Het Madden" into a film. THAT is gonna be Awesome! And I am going to publish a book on HIS work that should be alot of fun. And there are 2 or 3 in the pipeline, so things are going well.

Movie directors are great but it's the producers who you need to option a book.

cal_in_space:
Why so mean spirited? Life is really too short for that.

It's not mean spirited to point out that someone may have tonnes of enthusiasm and still fall on their face anyway, taking the books and dreams of a lot of people with them.

I've seen that happen too many times and it's never pretty.

cal_in_space:
This has really been a great learning experience as well as an interesting experience in human nature.

This is exactly the point that a lot of people have been trying to make: taking someone else's book and using it as your learning experience is not fair on the author.

I've got no problem with you self-publishing your own work - it seems to be working for you and you enjoy it. Where I have an issue is when you start marketing yourself to others.

MM

cal_in_space

Registered
Reaction score
MM you make some great points. Any chance you (or anyone else) can give me some more advice on how to advise people (including me) on how they can get there books published by established publishers? It is a difficult path when you don't know where to look and you really want to have your work read. I have no trouble admitting when I'm wrong and maybe I bit off more than I can chew, at least until I get more experience. I truly started out wanting to help people get their work out there and I certainly don't want to hurt anyone in the process. My heart is in the right place lest anyone think I would ever purposely take advantage of anybody, but maybe my brain hasn't caught up yet. Happens to me all the time. But it is still a dream to help people feel the same thing I did when I put my book out. It was awesome...

Anyway any advice would be appreciated. If you all don't have the time or don't feel like it I understand and can go somewhere else.

-Cal

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
This entire forum is filled with information. Start browsing the threads. Go read industry blogs for agents and editors. Two of my favorites are Nathan Bransford and Janet Reid. Start reading. When you finish reading through them, start hitting the links and read others as well.

It's called research. Sorry if I sound snarky, I just can't believe that someone who is claiming to be a publisher is not only this clueless, but is even asking a question like this. Yes, MM knows a lot. So do a lot of people around here. We all learned the same way--by doing basic research.

It's more than apparently that you've never even done that, and it's a little appalling to me that you expect someone to take the time to explain it when it's already out there and the rest of us have managed to find it. Heck, you're on a site that's a wealth of information. All you'd have to do is go read through it, but you're still asking someone to explain it to you.

Please be proactive about this. Go read the information here, find information online. Go to the library. If you have specific questions about what you're researching, come here and start a thread and people will explain, but you need to put some effort into this first as well.

And please, don't accept anyone else's work until you have done this. You might also want to rethink the face you choose to present as a professional, because to be honest (I'm saying this for your benefit) these sound like they were written by an eighteen year old. Professionalism is important because this is all a business. This isn't fun and games for most of us, and we take it very seriously. Your current posts are very lackadaisical about the whole situation, and that's not really the impression you want to make.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
cal_in_space:
Any chance you (or anyone else) can give me some more advice on how to advise people (including me) on how they can get there books published by established publishers?

First step is to try to get an agent.

Best place to begin your search is to research agents who represent the type of fiction you write on either Publishers Marketplace or Agent Query. Once you've got a list of agents who accept your genre, check out their websites (where applicable) to see what type of clients they already represent and whether they've got deals for those clients. Tailor your submission to those agents who seem to be the closest match to your book.

If you come across an agent that you can't find information on, check them out either here or on Preditors and Editors as to whether they've got a track record of commercial sales. Agents who identify themselves as members of the AAR (Association of Authors' Representatives) are usually legit (on the basis that membership is dependent on commercial sales) but you can check with that body whether they are a member.

Check whether any agents on your list have blogs because that will give you a clue as to the type of fiction they're looking for, what grabs them, where they see the market going etc etc. Some of them also post the query letters for clients they took on, which will help you work out how you can write yours.

Remember that it's better to have no agent than a bad agent.

When you've got a list of good agents to query, check out what their submission requirements are and follow them to the letter. Most agents will require you to send a query letter. There's a forum here on AW that can help you to hone yours into a good pitch for your book.

Some agents will also allow you to submit the first few pages of your book. It's therefore vital that before you query any book that you've made sure your manuscript is as polished and tight as you can make it. Even if your query letter isn't the best, a good opening few pages can result in an agent requesting a partial.

A partial is usually the first 3 chapters or 50 pages (some agents want more, some less). Again, make sure those chapters/pages are as polished and well written as you can get them. If you're not sure about the quality, there are forums here where you can either find a beta to take a look at them, or you can post sections to get opinions.

If the agent likes the partial, then they'll ask for a full. Getting asked for a full is a good sign (and you're ahead of 90% of other people) but it's no guarantee that the agent will take you on.

Some agents will come back with a flat no. Others with a no with reasons and if you get feedback then use it to take a good hard look at your manuscript to assess whether you think any changes need to be made (you don't have to change the manuscript, but it's always good to give it another appraisal).

Some will say that they want you to make changes to the manuscript and if you're willing to make them then they'll re-read it. Again, if you get asked to do this then it's well worth considering doing it because it's asked for in order to make your manuscript stronger.

Some will just offer representation, in which case - congratulations but don't assume that you're done with editing.

Many agents will require further edits to be made before it's submitted to publishers.

This is where having a good agent is invaluable because they will usually have contacts within commercial publishers who they can pitch the book to.

If a publisher makes an offer, then the agent will negotiate the contract to get the best terms possible.

Sometimes however the agent may not be able to sell the book. In some cases, the agent may drop you, in others they'll work with you on your next book. (This is where it pays to research agents in advance to find out their reputation).

You then rince and repeat for the next book.

The above is not a quick process - some agents can take months to respond to queries and then the editing and re-editing process can take forever. To give you a personal example, I've spent the last 4 months rewriting my manuscript in line with my agent's comments and more changes are necessary before it can go out.

However, getting an agent is a lot easier than trying commercial publishers direct. There aren't many advance paying commercial publishers who accept unsolicited manuscripts - again, Publishers Marketplace is the best place to start and check as you would an agent. You can also check out Ralan which is a SF and F database.

Publishers are slower to respond than agents so your manuscript can be tied up for a year. Of course, if a publisher picks you up and offers a deal, then you can use that to try to get an agent to negotiate the contract for you (which would be my personal suggestion as they'll put a stop to any rights grabs). Otherwise, you can just negotiate the contract in the normal way.

All of that should give you a primer on where to start and the types of places to check out but kaitie is completely right in saying that you're the one who needs to do the research and find out more about the industry because it can really help to prevent you from getting burnt in the long term.

MM