Finding a MG agent?

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
So, now that I've got a handle on my WIP, I am now thinking about the next step. Finding an agent. I was just wondering how everyone has gone about this. How essential is the research stage, and what do you think is the most important feature of agents to focus on? How well they would mesh with your personality, their client list, their sales records, or their connections to other publishing houses? And how detailed do you get in your research to find out these things?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm nowhere near ready to search for an agent... and yet I already have a good idea of who my top choices are.

I think you need to choose agents who have personalities and tastes that mesh well with yours, because you want to find the right agent for you. So, I would suggest reading blogs, reviewing websites, and perhaps most importantly, determining whether your book is something that would suit their tastes (so, read lots of MG and figure how who reps who).

Best of luck in your search!

:)Smish

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
IMO you should get very detailed in your research before submitting to any agents.

All the things you mention, and then some, are important to varying degrees, but if you are forcing me to choose only one I say an agents connections to publishing houses-that is, an "open line" and proven track record working with editors in your genre and within the age range represented by your work. Many other attributes should be taken into account, including the all important agreement on methods, means, and times of communication. Ultimately your agent will become your business partner, and I suggest you keep that in mind when searching for an agent and before signing an agency agreement.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If reading blogs and interviews and more informal means of research aren't giving you a good start, then you might need a more active research focus. Then:

Start with Agent Query, Query Tracker, and Publishers Marketplace. Look for agents who are making sales, but know that not all agents publish their sales, and some only announce some of their sales.

Then, come back to AW and check your preliminary research against the Beware & Background Checks thread.

Then, google your top choices, reading blog interviews and contest judging entries, etc. to check out your choices.

I'd focus on proven sales and contacts, and then look at personality and interests.

And research lets you find the agents who might fit you and your work best, and then it also lets you personalize your queries to show the agent you carefully chose them. :)

good luck.

~suki

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
What everyone else said. I would also add that you give some thought beyond your current manuscript and consider the rest of your projects as well. For example, say the book you're shopping is contemporary but your WIP is fantasy, or you have an idea for a fantasy series or whatever. It probably wouldn't be the best idea to sign with an agent (no matter how big) who sells a lot of contemporary stuff but really has no interest in fantasy. Sure, they might sell your current book, but how about everything after that? Would they even want to read your other stuff or, more likely, suggest you write something that better fits their own taste?

Inkblot

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a local chapter of a SCBWI that you could join? They keep up to date lists of agents and editors and what types of manuscripts they're looking for. Their conferences and workshops are also very worthwhile, IMHO.

Danthia

How essential is the research stage, and what do you think is the most important feature of agents to focus on?
Critical in my opinion. You don't want to query scammers or agents who don't rep what you write. I'd focus on legitimate agents, then who best fits your book and style of writing

How well they would mesh with your personality, their client list, their sales records, or their connections to other publishing houses?
You want someone you click with, and who works in a way that works for you (if you need constant updates, an agent who only emails you when you ask for it isn't a good fit no matter what their sales record) You'd want a client list that you fit in with (if they never sold your genre, they might not be the best fit, though not always) If they're a legitimate agent with sales, they'll have connections to publishing houses. I'm not sure that's something you can really check anyway. And editors change

And how detailed do you get in your research to find out these things?
I looked for as much info as I could before I queried. I wanted to know enough about them so that I could say "yes, I'd probably sign with this agent if they asked." Because if you won't, then why send a query at all? (Though sometimes you can't tell just by what's on the web) But if they sell adult military thrillers, they probably aren't going to like a surgary sweet MG chick lit. You can usually get a feel for what they like based on client list and what they talk about on their blogs, if they have one. Of course, you also still want to talk to them if they make an offer and ask all the questions and whatnot. But the first round picks should be agents you'd feel comfortable with handling your career.

I have a handy blog post on this, with lots of links and suggestions. It's long or I'd just re-post.

Basically it covers the most common sites to find list of agents, the sites you should run those agents by to make sure they're legit, and various common querying questions.

Last edited:

Thermocline

Crafty but not artsy
Registered
Reaction score
Casey McCormick has a great blog for MG and YA writers. Each week she profiles an agent who accepts MG and/or YA. Scroll down the right menu bar to see different ways to search. This is a great way to find info on agents who do accept MG manuscripts.

http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Casey McCormick has a great blog for MG and YA writers. Each week she profiles an agent who accepts MG and/or YA. Scroll down the right menu bar to see different ways to search. This is a great way to find info on agents who do accept MG manuscripts.

http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/

I use this one too, I really like the info she provides.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Conferences and blogs are huge, because they let you see the agents as Real People, not the Evil Enemy or the Keepers of the Holy Gates to Paradise. They have opinions, preferences, likes and dislikes. But they are also people you can sit next to at lunch and have a conversation with. It's important to keep that in mind, so you can approach them as peers, business professionals.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Help me! I think I need to re-write my YA as an MG!

Sorry, was being totally thick and posted this as a reply instead of a new thread, so please ignore and check out my new thread with same title ;-)

Last edited:

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
Research is very, very important. You don't just want to find an agent who reps what you write, you want to find the right agent. The more research you do now, the better chance you won't find yourself leaving the agent down the road and going back to looking again. Find someone who not only has connections, drive and passion, find someone who is a good communicator and whose working methods match your own. :)