• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bova Agency

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with them? I did a search, but didn't find anything other than people planning to submit, or had submitted to them. No actual useful info. Anyone got any?

(P&E has them listed, but with no info)

www.barbarabovaliteraryagency.com

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
With any agency the question you should be asking isn't "are they so bad that I should cross them off my list?" It should be "are they good enough that I should put them on my list?"

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
If they request your ms, they will insist on an excusive...in writing. So you might want to leave them for last.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
If they request your ms, they will insist on an excusive...in writing. So you might want to leave them for last.

Yeah, they already requested the exclusive, which I can't give to them for 2 weeks, because I already have an exclusive with a different agent until the end of this month.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
With any agency the question you should be asking isn't "are they so bad that I should cross them off my list?" It should be "are they good enough that I should put them on my list?"

Okay...."are they good enough that I should put them on my list?"

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Barbara Bova’s husband is Ben Bova, the famous SF writer. She doesn’t seem to be in the picture much, nowadays. Bova agent Marlene Stringer has a $ at P&E, indicating at least one sale.

Actually, I’m surprised they would request your ms (about a baseball season, isn’t it?), as it seems outside their stated interests.

Last edited:

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
Barbara Bova’s husband is Ben Bova, the famous SF writer. She doesn’t seem to be in the picture much, nowadays. And I’m surprised they would request your ms (about a baseball season, isn’t it?), as it seems outside their stated interests.

I thought the same thing, but I was suggested to send it to Elizabeth Osbourne (NF agent) I queried about 2months or so ago, and got the request from her today. Didn't expect it, but hey, I'm not gonna argue with it.

Good memory on ya though!!

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, for pete's sake. Barbara is Ben Bova's agent. She's Orson Scott Card's agent. She's got a few others as well -- my impression is that she prefers a smallish list of authors. She's definitely legit.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Julie Worth said:
I can report that for a partial, at least, this isn't true. Ms. Bova replied to my e-query in one day and said I should submit the partial and synop to her associate, Marlene Stringer.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
dragonjax said:
I can report that for a partial, at least, this isn't true. Ms. Bova replied to my e-query in one day and said I should submit the partial and synop to her associate, Marlene Stringer.

Sorry, by ms I meant the full ms.

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald

Okay...."are they good enough that I should put them on my list?"

In other words, do they have sales? Sales to major publishers? Recent sales? If you don't know, why bother?

I think that's what's wrapped up in Uncle Jim's comment. (Correct me if I'm wrong...I'm just interpreting...but those are the questions I would ask. If I can't figure out who some of their clients are and if they are making some decent sales, I won't query.)

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Though Mrs. Bova seems nice,

Marlene was kind of rude to me... Really rude, actually. I was approaching her with a very good situation (for her), and she was pushy, strident, and un-necessarily didactic.

I don't think I would want her on my team. Maybe I caught her on a bad day.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
(Side note: This is annoying, because I know I've responded to this message, but it, along with a PM I previously sent, have mysteriously vanished. Grrrr.)

I've found Marlene to be responsive, enthusiastic, and very professional.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ain't just you, DJ, looks like we lost fours days of posts in the latest move. :Hammer:

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
CaoPaux said:
Ain't just you, DJ, looks like we lost fours days of posts in the latest move. :Hammer:
Crap, really? Man, that's a bummer. (But I'm relieved that it's not just me...)

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
I just received an email from Marlene Stringer requesting to read the first three chapters of my paranormal thriller, EBONY, along with an outline. She said that Barbara Bova forwarded my query onto her.

Are they reputable? Is it worth sending?

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Toni1953 said:
I just received an email from Marlene Stringer requesting to read the first three chapters of my paranormal thriller, EBONY, along with an outline. She said that Barbara Bova forwarded my query onto her.

Are they reputable? Is it worth sending?
Marlene is a partner agent at the Barbara Bova Literary Agency. I guarantee that they are very reputable. They represent, among others, Ben Bova, Orson Scott Card, Trish Cook and Joyce Henderson.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd update to say it looks like they're no longer insisting on exclusives. I got a full req from Marlene Stringer and she didn't say anything about exclusivity.

I can't, of course, say for sure they no longer ask for them in any case, but at least in this one they haven't.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say Marlene Stringer was very courteous with me too when she requested a full, and even emailed to say it had arrived safely from the UK, which I thought was an added touch.

Saying that, the rejection was a form email, about one sentence if I remember rightly.

LianeW

Registered
Reaction score
Bump to see if anyone has any updated information. I got a very positive (and very prompt!) response to a full from Ms. Stringer and am fishing for clues before talking to her on the phone.

I have a full out with another agent, and partials out with a couple of others, and I'm not 100% sure what the etiquette is here, so clues on that subject would also be appreciated.