The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bova Agency

Been a long time... OneTeam OneDream's Avatar

Bova Agency

Has anyone dealt with them? I did a search, but didn't find anything other than people planning to submit, or had submitted to them. No actual useful info. Anyone got any?

(P&E has them listed, but with no info)

www.barbarabovaliteraryagency.com

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    With any agency the question you should be asking isn't "are they so bad that I should cross them off my list?" It should be "are they good enough that I should put them on my list?"

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    If they request your ms, they will insist on an excusive...in writing. So you might want to leave them for last.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth
    If they request your ms, they will insist on an excusive...in writing. So you might want to leave them for last.

Yeah, they already requested the exclusive, which I can't give to them for 2 weeks, because I already have an exclusive with a different agent until the end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    With any agency the question you should be asking isn't "are they so bad that I should cross them off my list?" It should be "are they good enough that I should put them on my list?"

Okay...."are they good enough that I should put them on my list?"

Barbara Bovaís husband is Ben Bova, the famous SF writer. She doesnít seem to be in the picture much, nowadays. Bova agent Marlene Stringer has a $ at P&E, indicating at least one sale.

Actually, Iím surprised they would request your ms (about a baseball season, isnít it?), as it seems outside their stated interests.
    Last edited by Julie Worth; 08-13-2005 at 06:24 AM.

Barbara Bovaís husband is Ben Bova, the famous SF writer. She doesnít seem to be in the picture much, nowadays. And Iím surprised they would request your ms (about a baseball season, isnít it?), as it seems outside their stated interests.

I thought the same thing, but I was suggested to send it to Elizabeth Osbourne (NF agent) I queried about 2months or so ago, and got the request from her today. Didn't expect it, but hey, I'm not gonna argue with it.

Good memory on ya though!!

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Oh, for pete's sake. Barbara is Ben Bova's agent. She's Orson Scott Card's agent. She's got a few others as well -- my impression is that she prefers a smallish list of authors. She's definitely legit.

Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi
    Oh, for pete's sake. Barbara is Ben Bova's agent. She's Orson Scott Card's agent. She's got a few others as well -- my impression is that she prefers a smallish list of authors. She's definitely legit.

Well, for pete's sake, THANKS!

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    I can report that for a partial, at least, this isn't true. Ms. Bova replied to my e-query in one day and said I should submit the partial and synop to her associate, Marlene Stringer.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Quote Originally Posted by dragonjax
    I can report that for a partial, at least, this isn't true. Ms. Bova replied to my e-query in one day and said I should submit the partial and synop to her associate, Marlene Stringer.
    Sorry, by ms I meant the full ms.

Sorry, by ms I meant the full ms.
    I should have realized that, Julie. That's what I get for posting before my morning coffee...
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald

Okay...."are they good enough that I should put them on my list?"
    In other words, do they have sales? Sales to major publishers? Recent sales? If you don't know, why bother?

I think that's what's wrapped up in Uncle Jim's comment. (Correct me if I'm wrong...I'm just interpreting...but those are the questions I would ask. If I can't figure out who some of their clients are and if they are making some decent sales, I won't query.)
    I Have Measured Out My Life with Coffee Spoons ...
    And I've Found Tea to be Better

My characters make morally ambiguous decisions in order to advance the plot.

Twittering -- it's like crack for bloggers

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe. badducky's Avatar
    Though Mrs. Bova seems nice,

Marlene was kind of rude to me... Really rude, actually. I was approaching her with a very good situation (for her), and she was pushy, strident, and un-necessarily didactic.

I don't think I would want her on my team. Maybe I caught her on a bad day.

(Side note: This is annoying, because I know I've responded to this message, but it, along with a PM I previously sent, have mysteriously vanished. Grrrr.)

I've found Marlene to be responsive, enthusiastic, and very professional.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Ain't just you, DJ, looks like we lost fours days of posts in the latest move.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Ain't just you, DJ, looks like we lost fours days of posts in the latest move.
    Crap, really? Man, that's a bummer. (But I'm relieved that it's not just me...)

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    I just received an email from Marlene Stringer requesting to read the first three chapters of my paranormal thriller, EBONY, along with an outline. She said that Barbara Bova forwarded my query onto her.

Are they reputable? Is it worth sending?

Quote Originally Posted by Toni1953
    I just received an email from Marlene Stringer requesting to read the first three chapters of my paranormal thriller, EBONY, along with an outline. She said that Barbara Bova forwarded my query onto her.

Are they reputable? Is it worth sending?
    Marlene is a partner agent at the Barbara Bova Literary Agency. I guarantee that they are very reputable. They represent, among others, Ben Bova, Orson Scott Card, Trish Cook and Joyce Henderson.

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe. badducky's Avatar
    If you're looking for an agency to represent your NEXT book, too...

Good luck with Ms. Stringer.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd update to say it looks like they're no longer insisting on exclusives. I got a full req from Marlene Stringer and she didn't say anything about exclusivity.

I can't, of course, say for sure they no longer ask for them in any case, but at least in this one they haven't.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I have to say Marlene Stringer was very courteous with me too when she requested a full, and even emailed to say it had arrived safely from the UK, which I thought was an added touch.

Saying that, the rejection was a form email, about one sentence if I remember rightly.

figuring it all out
    Bump to see if anyone has any updated information. I got a very positive (and very prompt!) response to a full from Ms. Stringer and am fishing for clues before talking to her on the phone.

I have a full out with another agent, and partials out with a couple of others, and I'm not 100% sure what the etiquette is here, so clues on that subject would also be appreciated.

Marlene Stringer replied to my query within 24 hours requesting a partial for my romantic suspense.
    Victoria Howard
    www.victoriahoward.co.uk
    Three Weeks Last Spring
    ISBN 1-4241-2990-7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast