Submitting with an agent?

sadiemay

Lost in Fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melislostinfiction.blogspot.com
This is actually a couple questions, but all relating to publishers. I know there's been several comments against submitting to publishers w/o an agent. I'm wondering if anyone has had success with this?

Currently I have an agent. She's run through her list of contacts and the feedback has been positive but sadly no takers. She's getting ready to leave on maternity leave until August! and I'm toying with the idea of submitting it myself to publishers who accept submissions. Is that a big no,no?

I feel that with the comments I've received, there is still hope for my book, but that my agent is ready to call it quits.

Maybe this is just me not wanting to accept that it's not going anywhere.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
I would not submit on your own without her expressed permission. Find out for sure if your agent feels the book is subbed out (perhaps send her the list of publishers you wanted to sub to on your own). If she looks at the list and tells you that its best for you to move onto a new project, then politely agree that you do want to move forward on new stuff but at the same time, would still like to try a few places out on your list and would she mind if you continued to sub it on your own if she doesn't wish to continue with it. Chances are though, if you have a list in hand with the eds names and why they are a good fit, she would be willing to send out a few enquiries (even with her mat leave) or she may say she will look into the list when she gets back from mat leave.

You don't want to do anything that will damage your relationship with her, right? Be totally up front about it and go from there. :)

sadiemay

Lost in Fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melislostinfiction.blogspot.com
So how do you find the editors names? There were three I was looking at and they all say "send to Submissions Director" or something similar. I was searching on Agent Query under the publishing section. Is there a better, while still reliable, place to search?

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
Finding an ed's name can be tough. One trick you can try is to look up the books a house pubs on amazon. When you search inside the book, look at the dedication page--sometimes the editor and agent are listed.

Otherwise, you could ask here about book titles, or run a search on a book title to see if anyone is talking about it in forums and pose a question on who edited the book (if it's recent--if it isn't chances are the Ed moved on). Similarily, you can run a search on the author and see what chatter pops up (Narrow your search to just blogs for example, rather than the WWW on Google)

Also, on the websites for the houses you should (hopefully) find the names of the editors listed somewhere under the business side of things. You can run searches on them as mentioned above. Sometimes you can find chatter or blurbs about them in PW, conference notes, etc and it will lead you to the type of books they are editing currently.

If you can't find any info on a specific editor, try to just show in your list why a publishing house would be a god fit, listing a few titles you feel are similar to your book. Then if your agent does send queries to them she can at least have some info to cite as to why she's pitching your book to them. It also gives the agent a starting place to do a bit more research through her own network of contacts.

If you end up doing the subbing on your own, you can list the comparative titles in your query to show you researched the publisher and aren't just firing an arrow into the dark.

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
Also, Jacketflap has a pretty decent sized listing of publishing houses. But be wary--they list everything there, not just traditional publishing. Make sure you investigate any house you find listed to make sure it isn't a self publishing company or vanity press, etc.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
sadiemae - I don't know where I found it - I thought here - but ellen jackson has a site that is very useful.

I think it's ellenjackson.net. She is working on a list of publishers and what they publish. But in most cases you will have to find their sites to see if they accept unsolicited mss.

Also, I think you will probably find that most publishers will only allow you to submit via snail mail. I know it bites, but that's the way it is right now.

Good luck!

Sissy

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me that you're asking the wrong question, actually...

If you have a contract with that agent, you probably can't legally submit that book to editors on your own. Trying to could really get you into a sticky situation.

So--what's really going on? Do you feel like your agent just doesn't have the contacts, and you could do as well on your own? Then I think maybe it isn't the best agent for you, and you should explore ending your agreement with her.

I'm also having a hard time imagining an agent who doesn't have someone who can help keep her clients well-represented while she's on leave. That seems...well, like bad business, for one thing. The publishing business isn't going to wait around for her.

If I were you, I'd look into the details of the contract I'd signed.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sadie. I think the problem you're having finding places to sub to is one reason you have an agent. I'd definitely discuss this with your agent -- she may be considering only bigger houses, but if you want her to go smaller, maybe she will.

Unless you get permission, you should not sub on your own. If there's some house or editor you think is a fit, you'd be better off asking her to send it for you.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, several issues here.

1. if you ahve a contract with an agent then don't submit yourself. That's not only bad form, but it's a breach of contract and the agent could drop you or even sue if you get a deal.

2. If your agent is going on maternity leave then I assume she has arranged for another agent at the agency to take over her list? Or have you both agreed to put the submissions on hold during that time? Check if your contract is with the agent or the agency.

3. If the agent is not getting anywhere with this and is not willing to reach out of her comfort zone then perhaps it's time for a new agent.

4. Be aware that this agent may not return to work after her baby (I took three years off when I had mine, and a friend took 5 Years off after her twins) and so you could be left high and dry.

My advice is to have a frank discussion with your agent over the future of your working relationship. Express your concerns etc, be realisitic, and if you both feel that cutting loose is rthe best option then better now than later.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You have already received some good advice. But I'll add that it's not unheard of for an author to, after the agent has shopped the book to all large publishers with no takers, and with her agent's knowledge and agreement, shop some smaller presses (ie, small to no advance presses).

But that's a conversation to have with the agent. See what she thinks about submitting to some smaller presses. See if she can help with contacts/research at those presses.

But for any medium to large mainstream publisher, your agent should be handling your sumbissions. And if she isn't, there is a bigger problem, either with her or your expectations.

So...talk with her about other avenues for submitting the book - and maybe you will then decide to, with her agreement and knowledge, shop the book to some small, independent presses. But you should be able to find their submission guidelines fairly easily as you research the presses.

But if you are thinking of submitting to medium to large publishers because your agent didn't - then I agree it may be time for a new agent, instead, or for a very frank discussion about why she isn't shopping the book any further. For example, if she has shopped it to all of the medium to large publishers and all have passed, then you can't resubmit to them . Then your ownly option would be smaller presses that you could sub to yourself while she is on leave - but you should discuss that with her and make any decisions about continuing with her and about what action to take on the book after a full and frank discussion with her about all available options.

~suki

BetsyJ

Ellen Jackson, author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ellenjackson.net
I have an agent, but I do almost all the submitting myself. For one thing, I like getting rejection letters. Why? Because I often get invaluable information from the editor--about the kinds of manuscripts they're looking for, or truthful feedback about my manuscript and its weaknesses (and strengths).

Let me add, though, that this is an arrangement I've worked out very carefully with the agent. She doesn't mind, as long as she knows I'll bring her in if I have a sale.

She reciprocates in many ways. Sometimes she offers me a job she's heard about where publisher X is asking for someone to write a books on a specific topic. Or she'll tell me about a certain editor who might like my manuscript. It works out. At this point, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I would NOT do this if I wrote middle grade or YA. But it's very hard if you're trying to sell picture books because agents will not pursue a sale to the extent that the author will. My book CINDER EDNA went to 41 publishers before it sold, and it's done very well.

Ellen Jackson
www.ellenjackson.net