Author reviewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

*RomanceWriter*

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone here a reviewer for a professional review site and also a published author?
Do you ever find the two conflict?
Do you review anonymously or proudly advertise yourself?
Thanks

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
I review on my blog and on Goodreads. Don't do it "for" anyone, per se. Is that what you mean?

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Not a site reviewer. Does reviewing for the Globe & Mail, National Post, Vancouver Sun, Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Star, Edmonton Journal, Montreal Gazette and others count? ;)

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
Not an official reviewer, but I do review horror movies and a couple of books on my blog. I don't find the two conflict, and I do occasionally advertise on my blog as well.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I used to review for a specific sub-genre site.
I didn't review my CP's book.
I reviewed under my real name, not my (unpublished) pen name.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
I review books on YA Highway and I find it particularly difficult 1) because, as a writer, I want to be respectful to other writers and 2) the YA community is small (go ahead, ask me who I've talked to recently. ;) ). I thought about making it my policy to only review books I liked (which is my policy on Goodreads) but now I try to think of it as more like "promoting" books than reviewing them. Mentioning the parts I liked and thinking about what kind of reader might enjoy the story. Not that I'm dishonest - I do mention if I think the pace is too slow or the characters aren't likable (or, on the flipside, too perfect), etc.

Granted, I'm not a pro. But we do have lots of followers on YA Highway and I know YA authors read it. Take it for what you will. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.