Need some wording help...

AussieGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so I hope this is the right area to ask my question...

I'm writing an article for kids in military families. I'm writing in the 2nd person, and referring to the reader's parent who is currently deployed.

I'm not sure how to refer to this person?

"your parent"
"your mum or dad"
"your loved one"

I prefer saying "mum or dad", because it's more personal and reflects the target child's language. Saying "loved one" (to me) sounds like a psych text book, and "parent" is quite detacted. However when using the term "mum or dad" many times, it becomes repetative and annoying to read. I want it to be generic for all services, so can't use something gender neutral like "solider".

Any suggestions welcome...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"someone in your family"? Or, "someone close"?

As in, "When someone in your family is serving overseas, you often have to take more responsibility for yourself."

I'm not sure if that's really what you're looking for however.

Last edited:

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
"Parental figure" is detached. "Parent" is fine. Again, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but try "Family," "Loved ones," "Mother and Father," etc. for variation.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could change the wording (mum or dad) slightly at times to be:

mother or father

the parent being deployed

the parent serving in the military

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Like the others, I think you can use different words in different places. "You have to go to the men's room alone, because Dad's not there to go with you." "You wish Mum were here to read you a story while you eat lunch." "You have more work to do around the house, because a parent is gone. Maybe you have to mow the lawn, or make the salad, or vacuum the living room."

You're going to want to make it as concrete as you can, anyway, with a lot of examples, and those examples will probably be about one parent or another. "Robin and Lisa have to stay with their grandparents while Mum and Dad are overseas."

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the age range it's aimed at.

I think mum and dad is fine.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
In your context, I think I'd avoid 'loved one' because, to me, it has funereal associations. Parent or mother or father.
BTW, if it's for military families, are you mentioning a sibling being deployed? "While your brother is away ..."