Whether to mention in query...

Triciawho

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.triciamangan.com
Hi,
I am as yet unpublished but got a really promising revise & resub request from an editor a couple of months ago on a children's PB manuscript and am waiting to hear back. *fingers crossed* (I submitted directly to the publisher - no agent)

My question is - I have completed another PB manuscript and want to start subbing agents, but I'm wondering whether I should or should not mention the above manuscript in my query? I would wait until I get a firm answer from the publisher before querying, but the editor told me it would probably be a few months. If it buys me any credibility by mentioning it, I'd obviously like to, but I'm not sure whether it would really matter to an agent since there's still a chance it won't be published.

Thoughts?

thanks!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am as yet unpublished but got a really promising revise & resub request from an editor a couple of months ago on a children's PB manuscript and am waiting to hear back. *fingers crossed* (I submitted directly to the publisher - no agent)

My question is - I have completed another PB manuscript and want to start subbing agents, but I'm wondering whether I should or should not mention the above manuscript in my query? I would wait until I get a firm answer from the publisher before querying, but the editor told me it would probably be a few months. If it buys me any credibility by mentioning it, I'd obviously like to, but I'm not sure whether it would really matter to an agent since there's still a chance it won't be published.

Thoughts?

thanks!

If I am reading your question correctly, you would be querying for Book A but Book B is the one with the publisher. If that is correct, then no, do not mention Book B or the pending submission in the query for Book A. it's irrelevant to whether the agent is interested in Book A.

Other manuscripts and anything short of an actuall offer of publication is irrelevant to an agent.

Now, if you do sell Book B, then you add that to the query as a credit (ie, My Book B will be published by XYZ Publisher in 2012). And, if you get an offer, you can try to get an agent with the offer (before you sign the contract) by querying with the subject line PENDING OFFER FROM XYZ PUBLISHER.

good luck.

~suki

Triciawho

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.triciamangan.com
If I am reading your question correctly, you would be querying for Book A but Book B is the one with the publisher. If that is correct, then no, do not mention Book B or the pending submission in the query for Book A. it's irrelevant to whether the agent is interested in Book A.

Other manuscripts and anything short of an actuall offer of publication is irrelevant to an agent.

Now, if you do sell Book B, then you add that to the query as a credit (ie, My Book B will be published by XYZ Publisher in 2012). And, if you get an offer, you can try to get an agent with the offer (before you sign the contract) by querying with the subject line PENDING OFFER FROM XYZ PUBLISHER.

good luck.

~suki

Thank you, Suki. Yes, you interpreted my question correctly. I figured it wasn't worth mentioning but wanted to double-check. Thanks!

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I second Suki's advice and add: If you get an offer, e-mail (or even call) an agent right away; before accepting it. They can probably get you more $$$ and certainly better terms.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you should query with the MS that's with the editor. Answer would be no if A) it's explicitly exclusive since the agent couldn't sub it to other editors B) it's been widely shopped to editors other than the one who has it.

I could be off base here, so there may be other objections...

Triciawho

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.triciamangan.com
I'm wondering if you should query with the MS that's with the editor. Answer would be no if A) it's explicitly exclusive since the agent couldn't sub it to other editors B) it's been widely shopped to editors other than the one who has it.

I could be off base here, so there may be other objections...

Interesting...I hadn't thought about doing that. I didn't have to grant exclusivity, and it's a niche topic (children's self-help/psychology) that I actually didn't shop around at all. The editor gave me quite specific suggestions for reframing the MS according to their preferences. Although I think that's a good sign, I don't know whether there would be enough incentive at this point for an agent to represent it since there are only a limited number of other publishers who would consider the MS should the editor end up passing. But I'm curious to hear if anyone more experienced thinks otherwise.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Don't query the one that's with an editor. Wait to see what happens. Meanwhile, query the new one.

And...if an agent expresses interest in the new one, as in offering you a contract, then you do mention the one that is with an editor.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't query the one that's with an editor. Wait to see what happens. Meanwhile, query the new one.

And...if an agent expresses interest in the new one, as in offering you a contract, then you do mention the one that is with an editor.

I totally agree. Query the one that isn't with the editor, and then if an agent starts to talk to you about revisions or making an offer, then I'd mention the one with the editor.

~suki

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Great minds think alike!

Let's take over the world.