Evidence for God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
How is objective knowledge possible for humans?
Dr Z, what does objective knowledge mean to you? What does 'objective' mean? I asked for a definition, and you've given me a restatement. I'm a little worried because when I cast back over your previous posts, I wonder whether you've confused objective knowledge with objectivism, or with reality. I'm wondering if maybe it means something to you that it doesn't mean to me.

ETA: To try and help, here's an etymological definition, which is the one I've been using:
www.etymonline.com said:
objective
1610s, originally in the philosophical sense of "considered in relation to its object" (opposite of subjective), formed on pattern of M.L. objectivus, from objectum "object" (see object (n.)). Meaning "impersonal, unbiased" is first found 1855, influenced by Ger. objektiv.

ETA: Ah... wait. I think I see the problem...
Objective knowledge is by its nature perfect and flawless, ie axiomatic. Whatever method we use must be 100% reliable. The error tolerance must be 0%. If there is even the slightest chance that our knowledge is not perfect, then it isn't objective knowledge, but ordinary old sordid house-hold subjective knowledge.
What makes you think that objective knowledge must be entirely accurate? Isn't it sufficient if any inaccuracies are not subject to personal bias? Might it be sufficient if any inaccuracies are either known or estimable?

Are you talking about objective vs subjective knowledge, or accurate vs. inaccurate measurement? I can know with certainty that the straight-line distance from Canberra to Sydney (using well-defined start and end points) is between 150km and 300km, because it's been measured multiple times using repeatable methods based on standard measures by lots of people, among whom any biases would be to either inflate or deflate the number. My knowledge is objective -- it's unrelated to any bias in the observer. I know that for sure. But it's still a fuzzy range. I can improve its precision if I want to, by tightening methodology. In fact I can improve it to a great deal of accuracy, in the 'good enough for rock'n'roll' sense to which BenB had alluded. Good enough to make decisions from. Good enough to advise others without fear of misleading them -- as long as I qualify precisely what I mean. So I can get my physical knowledge objective and accurate enough to use for reasonable purposes. What more should one do, and why should one do it?

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Which is why I am (or was for a couple of decades, anyway) a scientist and yet belong to a religious group that is, at base, a bunch of mystics. And I'm not, as far as I can tell, schizophrenic.
I don't think that the two are at all inconsistent, as long as when push comes to shove, objective knowledge wins over subjective belief. You've mentioned Non-Overlapping Magisteria before, CG. I'm all with Gould, except I think that objective knowledge has right of way -- mainly because it's... y'know... objective. :) However, I also acknowledge Dawkins' point, that mysticism in general, and religion in particular (though not necessarily all of it) finds it awful hard not to stand on level crossings when the science-train comes thundering through, wishing it away, or demanding to know why it's got to run through here. (And Susan Blackmore observed that some faithful call the train 'a test' and get back on the crossing, Wile-E.-Coyote style.:e2shrug:)

(Image: Order of Prémontré website; Monastic humour at Mt Tabor monastery)

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
The objects of the mind (concepts, ideas) don't count to you?

www.etymonline.com said:
object (n.)
late 14c., "tangible thing, something perceived or presented to the senses," from M.L. objectum "thing put before" (the mind or sight), neut. of L. objectus, pp. of obicere "to present, oppose, cast in the way of," from ob "against" + jacere "to throw" (see jet).
So no, they don't, or not in the same space as physicality. I'm happy to talk about ideas as a separate domain, with separate rules for discussion. There are lots of frames in which to discuss ideas, and one of our first challenges is to pick a robust frame in common. (And in my experience, that's not trivial at all)

But one of the nice things about objects is that they come with their own natural frame -- the frame of shared experience. We don't have to debate it because we already have an impartial arbiter in nature itself.

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Scientific methodology is the most reliable way to get objective knowledge that can be gotten by scienctific method. That does not preclude other types of knowledge or their value.
Scientists get all hot and sweaty over objective knowledge, Diana. They're not at all picky about how they get it... all that process they go through, like hypotheses and experiments and peer review... that's not because scientists like white coats and test-tubes; it's because that's what they've found it takes to get objective knowledge; anything less is just fail.

But... if wearing fruit and shaking maracas produced the same quality results quicker, I can tell you from experience that they'd all be doing it, and delighted with this fact. At heart, they're imaginative pragmatists.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Modern dictionaries are linguistically descriptive more than conceptually prescriptive, so they're often full of popular stupid (e.g. look up 'atheist' some time). Etymologies can be stupid too, but they at least reflect explicit conceptual intent. For precision-geeks like me, they're far more useful. :D

Last edited:

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Dr Z, what does objective knowledge mean to you? What does 'objective' mean? I asked for a definition, and you've given me a restatement. I'm a little worried because when I cast back over your previous posts, I wonder whether you've confused objective knowledge with objectivism, or with reality. I'm wondering if maybe it means something to you that it doesn't mean to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivity_(philosophy)

If we're discussing "evidence for God" (this thread) we're discussing philosophy, right? Within philosophy objectivity is well defined. I can't see what other definition could possibly be relevant in a thread like this? It's even got "God" in the title.

ETA: To try and help, here's an etymological definition, which is the one I've been using:

ETA: Ah... wait. I think I see the problem...
What makes you think that objective knowledge must be entirely accurate? Isn't it sufficient if any inaccuracies are not subject to personal bias? Might it be sufficient if any inaccuracies are either known or estimable?

Are you talking about objective vs subjective knowledge, or accurate vs. inaccurate measurement? I can know with certainty that the straight-line distance from Canberra to Sydney (using well-defined start and end points) is between 150km and 300km, because it's been measured multiple times using repeatable methods based on standard measures by lots of people, among whom any biases would be to either inflate or deflate the number. My knowledge is objective -- it's unrelated to any bias in the observer. I know that for sure. But it's still a fuzzy range. I can improve its precision if I want to, by tightening methodology. In fact I can improve it to a great deal of accuracy, in the 'good enough for rock'n'roll' sense to which BenB had alluded. Good enough to make decisions from. Good enough to advise others without fear of misleading them -- as long as I qualify precisely what I mean. So I can get my physical knowledge objective and accurate enough to use for reasonable purposes. What more should one do, and why should one do it?

You are describing what in philosophy is known as subjective or relative knowledge. Any knowledge where we have any reason to improve on or be worried about the quality of is by definition subjective knowledge. That doesn't make it arbitrary or unable to verify. Likewise, relative knowledge doesn't mean that it's random or arbitrary. All relative knowledge isn't equally valuable. Relative knowledge is knowledge whose meaning shifts relative to something else. A 300 km coastline means different things depending on how short ruler you were using when you measured. It's relative to the subject (the person receiving the information). We can never really know that we're discussing the same thing in the same way, and make the same interpretations. It doesn't help that we're 99,99999999% sure about something. The word "objective" in this thread is a prime example.

Objective knowledge in philosophy on the other hand is independent of the subject. Objective knowledge can only be interpreted in one way.

The big killer for objective knowledge is that it needs to pass into our heads. It doesn't mean a thing that everybody says they see the same number of ducks. We could all be wrong, simply because humans have similar perceptive biases. It isn't enough that the world outside our heads is in one stable and observable state. Knowledge isn't stuff out there. Knowledge is stuff out there passing in through our senses into our brains and placed in a meaningful context.

Yes, this is annoying and frustrating for us humans. But I think we're stuck with it (as the vast majority of the philosophy community has been since the 1930'ies). What this means is that we all have to exercise some humility as far as being certain about things. That goes for everyone. Yes, Christians too. It also means that we have to make an effort when we communicate. It isn't good enough to be correct. We have to make sure (as well as we can) that we're correct in a way that our audience can interpret as we have intended (or at least well enough). And then this needs to be measured somehow.

Yes, I too think it is very good to aim for knowledge that is as close to objective knowledge as possible. I'm a big fan of precision in language. As I said, all knowledge isn't equally valuable even if it is subjective.

Are we discussing the same thing now?

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. To zoom in, I believe that your proposed definition is:
In philosophy, an objective fact means a truth that remains true everywhere, independently of human thought, feelings, and tools or calculations capable of being skewed by subjective means. A subjective fact is one that is only true under certain conditions, at certain times, in certain places, or for certain people.
I'm not ecstatic about that definition but I'm okay with it for now. It's not how I'd express it (for instance, I think that objective facts can change because the objective world changes; for instance I think that no definition of objectivity can accommodate fruitcakes and ratbags), but assuming that we only talk about things that don't change, or change slowly, and people who are reasonable I can live with it.

Any knowledge where we have any reason to improve on or be worried about the quality of is by definition subjective knowledge.
I think you've missed the point of your own preferred definition. It's not about inaccuracy; it's the ability of inaccuracy to damage independent reliability.

We can get around that very easily with error bars and tolerances (this is in fact why error bars and tolerances were introduced): so we don't say that Canberra to Sydney is 213km; we say it's (for example) between 150 and 300km.

We can eliminate possible systematic errors in tools by taking the same measurements in multiple ways (in fact, scientists actually do this to calibrate their tools).

Are we discussing the same thing now?
Not yet. I think it's you who are jumping steps. Assuming that we use independent methods for measurement and calculation to avoid systemic problems in our tools, and use error bars and tolerances to assure reliability (all of which is routine scientific discipline, and produces extraordinarily consistent results) what's your objection now?

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
We can get around that very easily with error bars and tolerances (this is in fact why error bars and tolerances were introduced): so we don't say that Canberra to Sydney is 213km; we say it's (for example) between 150 and 300km.

We can eliminate possible systematic errors in tools by taking the same measurements in multiple ways (in fact, scientists actually do this to calibrate their tools).

The point of introducing error bars and tolerances isn't to make knowledge objective, (which is most likely impossible); the point of it is to minimise variance in the information we know is subjective. We want to minimise the possible interpretations as much as we can. From there take the leap to saying that knowledge is objective, ie can only be interpreted in one way is quite a leap.

Not yet. I think it's you who are jumping steps. Assuming that we use independent methods for measurement and calculation to avoid systemic problems in our tools, and use error bars and tolerances to assure reliability (all of which is routine scientific discipline, and produces extraordinarily consistent results) what's your objection now?

At some point it has to go into our heads, and then, you're, so to speak, screwed. Extraordinarily consistent results is a far cry from eternal truths and axioms.

Scientific language is great, if you know it. If you don't it is gibberish. Have you never considered the fact that the concept God is extraordinarily vague? Maybe there's something more here than something omnipotent and omniscient? We'd have to be it to see it, right? We wouldn't be able to recognise omnipotence even if it bit us in the ass, would we? That's just common sense. But people still believe in it. As far as we're concerned Wikipedia might as well be considered omniscient. How could we know it isn't? Maybe it's enough that something resonates within us to be considered real? Isn't a feeling real? So what if we can't measure psychic rays? It can still be meaningful, can't it?

Human beings are first and foremost emotional beings. Rationality comes pretty far down the list, right? Ever heard of "beauty is in the details"? Or "A beautiful equation?" Those are highly scientific yet emotional statements. If scientific language doesn't resonate within a person emotionally it will not be meaningful. Yes, I'm also scientifically trained.

Yes, I too think it's annoying when people (religious and otherwise) run away with the conclusions and make sweeping claims that are at best dodgy and at worst miss the mark entirely. But I think riling against it using sciency won't do more than confuse, primarily because religious faith isn't defended using sciency.

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
The point of introducing error bars and tolerances isn't to make knowledge objective, (which is most likely impossible); the point of it is to minimise variance in the information we know is subjective.
Doesn't it, in fact, eliminate subjectivity by saying, 'The answer is definitely between these lines, but do not assume where'?

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes: 'When we eliminate the unreliable, whatever remains, however distasteful, must be objective truth'.

Isn't your complaint not that it's subjective, but that it's not perfectly precise? And if we know that, and avoid making subjective statements around the known imprecision, and our results stay in tolerance then what's the problem?

At some point it has to go into our heads, and then, you're, so to speak, screwed.
You keep saying that, and I still have no idea why you think it's a problem. If we use knowledge for its intended purposes and within its tolerances, and it's 100% reliable when used that way, what is the issue? If it's shareable and reliable, it's objective.
Extraordinarily consistent results is a far cry from eternal truths and axioms.
I already expressed my problem with a definition that insists that objective information doesn't change -- the Sydney to Canberra distance can change in consequence of heat, for instance. Tolerances help take care of that.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that eternal truths are necessary. It just induces an excluded-middle fallacy: either truths are eternal, or all knowledge is subjective. In practice, we do very well with slowly-changing systems and error-bars, but we do very badly when we don't check what we think we know against the outside world.

Scientific language is great, if you know it. If you don't it is gibberish.
Yes, we have to be competent for the tools to be reliable, as I mentioned upthread.

Have you never considered the fact that the concept God is extraordinarily vague?
I think we're off objective knowledge now, but 'God' is not simply a vague term, but contradictory. It's hard to see what use a contradictory term is, outside of poetry.
We wouldn't be able to recognise omnipotence even if it bit us in the ass, would we?
I'm not even sure that the term 'omnipotent' is meaningful, until we can construct an enumerable domain of tasks over which it applies. But if we had such a domain (let's say the domain of 'constructing pretty things'), we could test for someone's capability in that.

Such tests wouldn't be exhaustive of course, but they'd quickly reveal that somone like me can't draw to save his life, but is reasonable at music. If extensive testing revealed that someone was great at painting and drawing and music and tattooing and flower-arranging and hair-braiding and filling ornamental jars with pickled vegetables, and all the activities that humans normally use to decorate their world -- as assessed by a statistically significant sample of competent human judges -- then that would be pretty compelling. I wouldn't insist on exhaustive testing in this case to accept that one individual is extraordinarily competent in 'prettiness' tasks. It wouldn't be strictly proven, but I wouldn't be uncomfortable in calling them 'pretty-omnipotent', say. :)

The problem is... we need a domain of well-defined tasks for the term to be meaningful. That domain needs to be enumerable so we can order it and test it. My big problem with religious hyperbole like 'omnipotent' is that they don't define the domain, or the domain is defined implicitly, or it's not enumerable. But if they did, and it was enumerable, I think it would be testable in theory at least.

So what if we can't measure psychic rays? It can still be meaningful, can't it?
In talking about our shared world, I try and avoid words whose meanings I can't link to something tangible.

But not all of our experiences are shared. When I'm not talking about the shared world, I'm happy to make up words all the time. 'Psychic ray' immediately strikes me as a made-up term: two words associated for aesthetic effect, with lots of room for interpretation. Is a 'psychic ray' a beam or a fish? Is it psychic because it thinks, or because it's a product of thought? Such terms are for fun and amusement. I set them aside again though, when it comes to doing shared-world work. That's just good mental hygeine.
Human beings are first and foremost emotional beings. Rationality comes pretty far down the list, right?
It depends on whether you mean the population or the individuals. Rationality goes down the list in populations, but for a small proportion of individuals it can be a very dominant mode of thought.

If scientific language doesn't resonate within a person emotionally it will not be meaningful. Yes, I'm also scientifically trained.
So is my wife, and like you she's very emotional. If I want to explain the plot of West Wing to her, I need to do it in terms of feelings because the chess-moves are meaningless to her. But when she tries to describe the world to me in terms of emotions I get all Untouchables on her ass: 'Just the facts, ma'am'!

What this illustrates is that while some people need emotion to make sense of stuff, to others its toxic. It happens that rationally strong people flock to science. They're the ones who've given it its rigour. But yes, anyone can train in it.

From that perspective, science is not developed for its beauty, but its use. When papers are reviewed the question is not 'Is this gorgeous' but 'Does this work'? Scientists may also have an opinion about the beauty of a result, but that opinion can vary and it's secondary to use.

The dominant aesthetic in science by the way, is efficiency. Concise formulae with broad application are normally considered 'more beautiful'. Short proofs are considered 'more elegant' than longer ones. It's not a universal aesthetic, but it's the most common one.

The thing about efficiency though: it can be measured. So even scientific aesthetic is utilitarian. :)

I too think it's annoying when people (religious and otherwise) run away with the conclusions and make sweeping claims that are at best dodgy and at worst miss the mark entirely. But I think riling against it using sciency won't do more than confuse, primarily because religious faith isn't defended using sciency.
This has nothing to do with science and a lot to do with pragmatism.

There's no point hunting for evidence for a term like 'God' that is so vague and contradictory. Much more use is to ask for the poetic associations of 'God' instead, and keep the term 'evidence' attached to objective information.

Just good mental hygeine, is all.

bigb

Gun in Mouth Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I was smarter.
I'll stick to being an amateur buddhist. (waiting to turn pro)

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
It's not smart to be needlessly complicated, so don't feel dumb if the complication doesn't make sense.

I think it's needlessly complicated because some people want more authority for their imaginings than they're entitled to.

To get that authority in the absence of hard evidence, a believer has to invent complex, emotionally compelling arguments for their imaginings, and undermine any trust in the shared experiences of others. For the latter, we see arguments that there's no objective experience, or that objective experience is unimportant because emotion trumps reason, or that there are far more things in existence than what we've experienced -- all of which try and cloak individual imaginings in conjured authority. Here are the counterarguments to these in a nutshell:
  1. Objective experience is important because it's screamingly reliable, even if it's not perfectly precise or eternal. Reliable is what objective experience does best.
  2. Objective experience helps even people who make emotional decisions. For example, most people are afraid of surgery, but we still go into surgery because we know that it works. Back in the day when it didn't work nobody wanted surgery because they were likely to die of infection.
  3. There are very likely more things in existence than we know, but if we want to advise one another ethically and responsibly, we must be honest about what is objective knowledge, and what is fanciful guesswork.
I don't think this is complicated, or has to be. We can live our own lives by guesses and imaginings if we want, but I think we have no right to pretend to others that our guesses are as reliable as objective truth, or undermine other folks' reliable knowledge for the sake of claiming authority for imaginings we prefer more. So if we're to be responsible, trustworthy humans I think we need to maintain a sort of mental hygeine.

Lots of religions, mystical and magical beliefs manage to accommodate this mental hygeine -- but a great many also don't. Some of the problems lie in individual beliefs contradicting shared experience, but a lot more of the problems lie in the misplaced zeal of practitioners themselves, failing to wash their hands of their unverified beliefs before they play with objective truth.

Last edited:

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
For the latter, we see arguments that there's no objective experience, or that objective experience is unimportant because emotion trumps reason, or that there are far more things in existence than what we've experienced -- all of which try and cloak individual imaginings in conjured authority.

More authority for my imaginings? Another general statement?

You think there's an objective experience, and probably that you have it, which I simply find just laughable beyond words. All we get we get ultimately from our sensory constructions. There's no helping that. The things we see are the way things are? That's so silly to me...

I don't call what you're talking about "objective"; I call it practical. And I think practical knowledge is every bit as important as you do.

AMC

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
You think there's an objective experience, and probably that you have it, which I simply find just laughable beyond words.
I think it pays not to laugh at people who drill our teeth, take out our appendixes and fly our aircraft. It's unwise to sneer at them and their pseudo-objective realities because one day they might believe us, have a crisis of confidence and stop halfway through a critical task in existential paralysis. :D

The things we see are the way things are? That's so silly to me...
...and to many other intuitive-feelies, I know. :) But feel free to fly without aircraft, meditate the caries out of your teeth and autoheal your apendicitis. If you can do that -- reliably -- I and every other hard-nosed pragmatist will absolutely come to you and ask you about your beliefs, and at that point you'll also have a solid case for telling us how to interpret observation and thus create language.

I don't call what you're talking about "objective"; I call it practical.
I'd accept that if you called 'subjective' idealism impractical.

But you won't, will you? I expect you'll call it possibly practical -- and thereby introduce some arcane definition of 'possibility' that does not mean a real example can actually be found in any finite time.

And I think practical knowledge is every bit as important as you do.
Though not important enough for semantic idealism to yield right of way, apparently. :tongue

Last edited:

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Actually I think you have the right of it.

I will only add this:

That state of basic/essential unknowing, Ruv, isn't my imagination. And it's very significant to me. (in fact, it's what makes me a skeptic)

Nondualism, Ruv, isn't my imagination. And it's very significant to me.

I am a mystic. My mysticism, so full of meaning, beauty, etc. gives me reasons never-ending to be practical, but it's not practical in and of itself except in rare cases. Like mindfulness, meditation, yogic practices, etc.

AMC

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
That state of basic/essential unknowing, Ruv, isn't my imagination. And it's very significant to me. (in fact, it's what makes me a skeptic)
And to me too. An essential tenet of competence is to know one's limits. I don't consider 'objectivity' to mean 'all-knowing' or 'perfect knowledge'. But neither does it mean 'invent uncertainty where there is none'. I think it means more like 'know how much you'll screw up because you're you, and factor that in'. :D

Nondualism, Ruv, isn't my imagination. And it's very significant to me.
I don't want to inflict dualistic philosophy on people, actually -- I think in many ways there's benefit in looking at the world nondually. (As a constructive example, I think some of our best moral and ethical thought emerges that way, if we're paying attention to impacts).

But I don't want nondualistic philosophy to render language impractical -- I think we need language to make sense out of our shared experiences and to cross-validate our ideas. So I'm happy for people to be effectively nondualistic if they'll only at least tolerate dualistic language for the purposes of practical human benefit. I can't prescribe how to reconcile those things, except to suggest that it's horses for courses.

I am a mystic. My mysticism, so full of meaning, beauty, etc. gives me reasons never-ending to be practical, but it's not practical in and of itself except in rare cases. Like mindfulness, meditation, yogic practices, etc.
I don't mind that you have more reasons to be practical than I do. (I only have two, really: it works and it's wired into my head, regardless). I'd ask only that the beauty and meaning never obscure the method, except over beer. :D

bigb

Gun in Mouth Blues
Registered
Reaction score
It's not smart to be needlessly complicated, so don't feel dumb if the complication doesn't make sense.

I was being sarcastic
I understand that it's needless, complicated, and makes bout as much sense as the title of the thread. Although very entertaining for sure.

People choose their own evidence of god; none, a little, or everything is

And even in the same belief system people don't always believe each others evidence. How great is that.

If I'm not mistaken the same thing happens in science.

Get two paleantologist together and ask them about extiction

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that no definition of objectivity can accommodate fruitcakes and ratbags), ?

So, those who don't agree are fruitcakes and ratbags? That's rather over the line, insulting, and, more to the fucking point, wrong.

But, I have excellent news for you. On Wednesday night, my destiny was revealed to me, through the most absurd and insane manner possible. I have become aware of a threat, a massive f-ing threat, in the offing. I am building a team of the world's most powerful magicians to confront this threat, and there will be scientists, and documentarians involved. The curtain shall be pulled, and all shall see that magick is real. I can say no more, but that within a few years or sooner, the world of science will have its proof, if not of God, then, at the very least, of the effectiveness of magick and the lackings of science, revealed at last to the world.

Yes, I realize that the last paragraph is completely crazy to everybody reading it. There is nothing more I can say on this subject, so please don't ask me. But, it is here, it is a promise, and remember when the shit comes down, I told you it would first.

And yes, I love science. I love the scientific method. I don't deny that, ratbag, that I am.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
You keep saying that, and I still have no idea why you think it's a problem. If we use knowledge for its intended purposes and within its tolerances, and it's 100% reliable when used that way, what is the issue? If it's shareable and reliable, it's objective.

Both scientists and philosophers use systems of definitions so that their discussions don't become confused. If you use a standard term in an unorthodox way ("objective knowledge") you risk simply confusing people. As we've seen ample proof of here.

You are using the philosophical word "objective" in the poetic or the common usage sense. You are letting your emotions sweep you away and by that method define this terminology. That's fine and expected when writing prose. But in a thread like this, it is hardly good enough, is it?

When we do systematic thought, I'm sure you'll agree we need to exercise some discipline about usages of terminology. "Objective knowledge" is very well defined within philosophy. I frankly can't see the point of using it in any other way?

In fact I suspect you are conflating the two usages on purpose, in order to add weight to your arguments. "Objective knowledge" as used in philosophy, is a damn sight more final than your usage of it. Your usage is in fact quite vague.

I already expressed my problem with a definition that insists that objective information doesn't change -- the Sydney to Canberra distance can change in consequence of heat, for instance. Tolerances help take care of that.

That's not the issue.

Yes, we have to be competent for the tools to be reliable, as I mentioned upthread.

So everybody should learn the language of science and use it exclusively, because why? You lost me there. Do you read poetry? Is it valueless?

I think we're off objective knowledge now, but 'God' is not simply a vague term, but contradictory. It's hard to see what use a contradictory term is, outside of poetry.

You're using sciency again. This is square pegs in round holes.

The problem is... we need a domain of well-defined tasks for the term to be meaningful. That domain needs to be enumerable so we can order it and test it. My big problem with religious hyperbole like 'omnipotent' is that they don't define the domain, or the domain is defined implicitly, or it's not enumerable. But if they did, and it was enumerable, I think it would be testable in theory at least.

Religion and religious language is not this one monolithic thing. It is not simple and straight forward. The language of science has evolved to serve the purpose of scientists. The language of religion has evolved to fit other purposes.

I'll refrain from offering my theories, but "non-overlapping magisteria" doesn't mean that Gould believed that souls actually existed in any physical or measurable sense. It's quite plain and clear if you read it slowly. He was for practical purposes an atheist. But he understood how the language of science has now become so dominant that even religious people start trying to apply it to religion, and we get stuff like Young Earth Creationism. That is bad for everybody no matter how you look at it. It perverts both religion and science in the most unfortunate manner.

In scientific language, the Christian God does not exist, simply because it cannot be measured. Nobody argues this. In philosophy ideas can be said to exist. Ideas alone can touch us, be meaningful and have an impact on our lives. So in philosophical terms God does certainly exist. It doesn't matter that is contradictory in sciency. The "supernatural" within science is simply a nonsense term. Nature is what exists. If it's without nature it doesn't exist. So on and so forth.

You obviously see no value in non-scientific language. That's what you need to argue for. This tired old Dawkins-like disproving of God spiel is at best only going to piss people off. You are proving nothing.

So is my wife, and like you she's very emotional. If I want to explain the plot of West Wing to her, I need to do it in terms of feelings because the chess-moves are meaningless to her. But when she tries to describe the world to me in terms of emotions I get all Untouchables on her ass: 'Just the facts, ma'am'!

What this illustrates is that while some people need emotion to make sense of stuff, to others its toxic. It happens that rationally strong people flock to science. They're the ones who've given it its rigour. But yes, anyone can train in it.

From that perspective, science is not developed for its beauty, but its use. When papers are reviewed the question is not 'Is this gorgeous' but 'Does this work'? Scientists may also have an opinion about the beauty of a result, but that opinion can vary and it's secondary to use.

The dominant aesthetic in science by the way, is efficiency. Concise formulae with broad application are normally considered 'more beautiful'. Short proofs are considered 'more elegant' than longer ones. It's not a universal aesthetic, but it's the most common one.

The thing about efficiency though: it can be measured. So even scientific aesthetic is utilitarian. :)

This has nothing to do with science and a lot to do with pragmatism.

I think you've pegged me wrong. Considering my line of work and earlier research, I think it's fair to say that I am firmly in the camp that bats for team science.

There is actually a strong correlation between aptitude for maths and musical ear. It seems to carry over into all fields. Available science does seem to point to that those sensitive to aesthetics and emotions are also those with a sharp mind for scientific and academic work. So, I think your theory is in trouble here.

There's no point hunting for evidence for a term like 'God' that is so vague and contradictory. Much more use is to ask for the poetic associations of 'God' instead, and keep the term 'evidence' attached to objective information.

Just good mental hygeine, is all.

That's just it isn't it? You are pretending like rigidity of mind and keeping yourself blind to alternative interpretations of things, (like "God" for instance) is a good thing, and an indication of mental hygiene. I think I'd argue the opposite.

It's always good to be a sceptic. It is always good to be critical. Everybody's granny said, "don't be so open minded that your brain falls it." But there's also the opposite to be wary of. Don't be so closed minded that you are unable to evaluate available evidence.

By necessity all knowledge is a simplified model of the world. To put it plainly, our brains have limited bandwidth. Whenever anything enters into our minds, we've already knocked the edges off it. There are more ways than one to knock the edges off. You might want to try to keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I just hope that God / Flying Spaghetti Monster appreciates the amount of press he's gettin

wonder why it's always spaghetti and never fusilli or fiori?

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
So, those who don't agree are fruitcakes and ratbags?
No, and I didn't say that. The context was Dr. Z's objectivity definition. The intended meaning was that if objective experience says it's red, that still won't stop a handful of people from saying it's green. I think we're both agreed that such fruitcakes and ratbags exist. That doesn't make 'em you. :tongue

I am building a team of the world's most powerful magicians to confront this threat, and there will be scientists, and documentarians involved.
Di, for reasons of balance and fairness I want to concede that magic has one undeniable and potent power...

The power to make everything about ourselves.

I have a sincere request: Instead of convening the most talented magickians and scientists, please have a nice dinner at home with friends and celebrate being alive. Let someone else save the world instead.

If they save it using magick and the curtain rolls back and I see all that, I will definitely apologise to you personally. If they mess it up and an absurd massive threat comes before the end of March say this year, and I can confirm that instead and you're convinced you could have done it better, then obviously I'll owe you a new world. :tongue But I think it won't, which means you can relax and it also means that you're not (neither of us is) that important in the world.

Please consider.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.