Evidence for God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The best parts of this thread are things people aren't touching. Those borderlines, those frontiers beyond our understanding. That's where the real fun is.

When science can explain mind and randomness, I will become an objectivist.

(I guess the randomness stuff was from our hard science colleages, I apologize)

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Ruv Draba, and Diana, what would you guys say about Alan Moore?
I've already said that if anyone wants to live their life as an aesthetic, I'm fine with it as long as they don't counsel others how to live. Moore's bright, he has the courage of his convictions. He's an artist who externalises his vision and demands that the world conforms, then laughs when it doesn't and finds something else cool to think about.

He's the sort of fellow I'd invite to dinner, but probably not at my own house. I wouldn't loan him money and I wouldn't ask him for advice. But I'd certainly have him at a dinner party. I know exactly who I'd put him with, and there wouldn't be a comic-book fan to be seen. :)
I don't think it's possible to see the world as it really is, ie objectively. We're stuck with metaphors, similes and patterns....
Again with the debasing of objectivity. What did facts and measurements ever do to you?
I'm certain Ruv won't be impressed by the genius believes it so it must be so.
Yah, 'genius' is a bit like 'randomness': what does it mean, and how do you know when you've got it?

That's an unfortunate assumption militant atheists like to make.
Some atheists actually believe in magic.

You're talking about skeptics, not atheists, and skeptics aren't militant, just clinical and irritating. (I'm an opponent of militant atheism, by the way.)

I already mentioned somewhere upthread that it's possible to believe in magic without mysticism. But an idealist who believes in magic is functionally indistinguishable from a mystic anyway. In fact, an idealist who believes in sorting buttons is hard to discern from a mystic.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
When science can explain mind and randomness, I will become an objectivist.
There are plenty of 'how' questions to answer about mind, and you've made a safe pledge in one way because we'll both be dead before they're answered. But I bet that you don't accept everything that is scientifically accepted about mind already, so you might already be breaking your own pledge.

As for randomness, I'm not sure what there is to explain. But I don't think you mean randomness anyway. I suspect you mean 'stuff I get that I didn't have to work for' as opposed to 'stuff I worked for and didn't get' -- because that seems to me to be a basic motivation most people have for embracing magic: a local optimisation of personal desire that minimises personal inconvenience.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Thinking about that last, I don't know that I'd want to 'cure' magical belief -- except in extreme cases where albinos are killed for magical components, or parents try to raise their kids by magic and not devotion, or self-proclaimed gurus and rainmakers try and scare ordinary people into abject submission... But if I did, Dr Draba's antimagical patent nostrum comprises:

two parts hard work,
one part courage,
a dash of resilience,
humour to taste​

Method
Mix vigorously and apply liberally to cases of strong desire, fear or uncertainty. In cases where chronically low self-esteem also presents, supplement with a course of consistent, demonstrative love.

Last edited:

Ephrem Rodriguez

Registered
Reaction score
If all you only see, experience, know and or have access is two-dimensional realities and all the tools and inner logic employed only has the capability of being two-dimensional does this then mean that there's no possibility of there being a three-dimensional reality?

Well, sure. There's a possibility that a third-dimensional reality could exist but it would require faith in order to believe a thing like that because there's nothing in the two-dimension world that would lend itself to that.

Beyond that, it's a wait-and-see. I mean, if you have faith that you're the true King of France and one day (assuming monarchy becomes vogue) you actually do become the King of France, then so long as you didn't just coincidentally guess what the outcome would be, then I'd say that in retrospect the only evidence you would have of this outcome would be your faith. Why is it evidence?

Well, it's not that your believing that you would become the King of France is what made you the King of France but somehow, beyond your ability to just take a stab in the dark, you hit on something. How? No clue. But you did. Assuming that you didn't just sort of coincidentally guess the right outcome. Your faith was an evidence of some sort of "thing" or "reality" that wound up bridging that which is in this reality/world impossible to bridge. Perhaps something outside of the familiar reality made it possible to bridge such a gap. I dunno.

Maye the third-dimension world (as a hypothetical) has that ability and can grant it to those living in the two-dimensional wherever land.

Either way, it's all a wait and see. If it turns out to be that God does exist then those that didn't just take a stab in the dark and coincidentally guessed correctly would be able to issue their faith as some sort of "evidence" of this reality. But again, this would only be able to be done in retrospect. But being as the reality would then be realized, faith would cease to be. Can't have faith in the existence of a thing if that thing readily exists.

Beyond this, I can't really come up with a very good explanation of "evidence" for God from a scientific perspective. I mean, the natural world is as it does and this inward looking world can't compute a higher reality but people of faith generally agree that this higher reality is somewaysomehow able to bridge the gap and make Himself known.

Until the figurative fat-lady belts out a tune, we have whatever we have to do. Like. Post random observations on writers forums that probably don't make much sense.

What's the point then of doing at all?

Some say pleasure. Others, there is no point, just looks like there's a point. Others still that asking the point is the point. This guy over here, typing out what it is you read, sees a few eyeballs running over his words and wondering if they haven't some vague notion of what it is he's talking about.

However, it's vague, much too vague. They don't consider looking at it much longer.

To infirmity! And beyond.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I apologize for the length of this, if I had more time I would have made it shorter. :) But really, perhaps I should have split this into several post.
This seems to me like looking a a fraction of an M.C. Escher work and seeing it as linear, familair, and rational. Or a snipet of a Bach fugue. But when viewed or listened to as a whole, a larger, incomphrensible picture, or muscial piece emerges. One that does not fit into our normal concepts of reality. After all the universe is really a dance of waves of energy according to science, but we seen it as a physical place. Transcendant Reality.

I am a skeptic. I am not certain of anything. Let me be clear. And let me defend myself from the pot shots you took at me a page or two back (i.e. your intrepretation of magickians, your word, not mine).

Is the concept of some elemental spirit, say Ujoil, reprehensible to the reasoned intellect? Of course, it is. It's dogmatic bullshit. But. Sometimes, when you invoke Ujoil, stuff happens. Stuff you wanted to. In my belief, the ritual and dogma simply allow a person to reach the mental state where we can change reality with our minds. I believe that science has not found out why yet.
Well, for "science to find out why" first you have to establish that it's a repeatable phenomenon, or get it to happen more often enough more than chance as to be statistically unlikely. Only then will you get scientists interested in investigating.
They may never. Once again, because that mental state requires a suspension of disbelief, just like a work of fiction. Worhtless? Few here would say that fiction is worthless. Good fiction changes you, and thereby changes the world. Magick and mysticism are like this.
Fiction can indeed change what you believe. Reinterpreting events in some magickal context can also change what you believe.

Many people in Alcoholics Anonymous talk about "seeing miracles" and even that their being alive is a miracle (many times they're speaking metaphorically, but other times they do mean it literally). AA dogma is that a "true alcoholic" cannot stop drinking without divine intervention (third page of Chapter 5 of the "Big Book," "God could and would if He were sought"), so when a heavy-duty long-time drinker stumbles into AA and stops drinking, he's very likely to attribute it to a miracle in his life performed by God.
I have an open skeptism. Some here, operating from the concept that science can explain everything, are showing a closed skeptism. That is all.
Who operates from the concept that science can explain everything? It looks like a strawman argument to me. There may be some who do claim that, but I sure don't.

But I do believe that if something CAN be explained or understood, science is BY FAR the best method of coming up with good, workable explanations and understandings that are likely to match reality very well.

If I'm going to go anywhere by other than walking barefoot or in leather sandals, it's going to be because people used the methods of science and technology to make cars, busses, bicycles, sneakers and airplanes. Religion, magic/magick/astrology/parapsychology has only changed what people believed, it hasn't enabled people to DO anything they hadn't already been able to do, at least not that I've seen or heard of.
In my esteem though, not one of them can do magic worth a spit, and I've had opportunity to form such views because they've tried to make it happen in my presence (I didn't ask them to; that's just how they roll).
So you're "Psi-negative," just like Susan Blackmore! :) I suppose I'm like that too.

< snipping a lot of interesting stuff, especially that first paragraph on confirmation bias, etc. >
Science so far rejects that there's even a phenomenon called 'magic' to explain, because nobody has managed to bring repeatable, inexplicable 'my will over reality' phenomena to test under clinical conditions, without they are sent away again with their beliefs in tatters.
Just a trifle - that last statement is generally not true from what I've seen and read about. They still have their beliefs, they just have excuses as to why they couldn't do it "under pressure."

I urge anyone with the slightest interest in this area to read the link I posted earlier in this thread to the writing by Susan Blackmore:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4706185&postcount=206
The first paragraph I quoted there doesn't get to this phenomenon. She so many times was afraid she was going to shatter a person's deeply held beliefs with her findings, but amazingly they kept on believing, like the Energizer bunny keeps on going and going...
Ruv, but, but...you ignored the best parts of my post. The Escher stuff. You've gotta, at the very least, stomp all over that. Please?
Hmm... I'm not Ruv, but I don't see what there is to stomp over, it's "just art" - and here I don't mean to dismiss art, except possibly that some may feel their art, or art in general, is inspired by some form of magick or spiritual or supernatural thing.

Art and fiction are often inspirational on an emotional level, and for those who believe in the supernatural it can enhance that belief. But I don't see any magickal connection.
It seems a lot like pessimism vs. optimissim view of reality, which I may mention is entirely subjective to each of us.

We can each look at the same event, and you might say coincidence or randomness, and I might say magick or God.
And both of these are human interpretations of the event.
Does science know (anyone) or explain randomness in any manner?
There are many seemingly random things that have clear explanations, such as Brownian motion. The one "truly random" thing I've heard of in nature is the time it takes for an atom of a radioactive element to decay. Some atoms are stable, others break apart spontaneously at various rates. A half-life (the time it takes for one half of the atoms to decay) of an element/isotope can be observed, but one cannot predict when a particular atom will decay.

Despite two or three decades of multidimensional math and various flavors of String Theory and Superstring Theory (the branch of science I would expect an explanation to come out of), atomic decay hasn't (that I've heard of) been explained through scientific means.

Is there some plausible explanation for atomic decay from some area of study other than science? Yes, I'm "very skeptical," very doubtful and biased against it, but I'd be willing to hear about it.
ETA: (Also, mainly to Ruv) I can not demonstrate anything to Randi or anyone else, as I have previously mentioned due to certain vows taken, and to the very nature of the art. If I have James Randi hanging over me, I'm sure I would not be able to obtain the proper mental state anyway. And, further, why should I?

To know. To dare. To do. And to keep silent.
I didn't see this vow thing earlier, though this has been a long thread and I haven't carefully read every post. But surely you can see to someone like me and Ruv that it looks like nothing but a convenient excuse?

Ephrem Rodriguez

Registered
Reaction score
For your consideration:

It is one of my favorite songs that we sing during the Pascha season (it's kind of the Eastern Orthodox version of Easter).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_G2jgGQjUY&feature=related

Perhaps you would not accept this as evidence but I can't not help but become aware of His presence when I hear this song.

Also, for those that don't know, Icons are not unlike family photos.

We kiss them. Hold them dear. Though we know that they are just paint and wood arranged in a certain way to provoke the senses into looking through those arrangements of paint on wood as one might through a window, we still see the fact that our loved ones can be seen through paint and wood as reason to separate these particular sets of wood and arrangements of paint from other sets of wood and paint. In short, the wood and the paint itself ceases to be just wood and paint, but only insofar as the experience goes.

Holy windows might be a better illustration. And we kiss our loved ones on the other side but bump lips on the glass.

I don't know.

Enjoy.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
It is one of my favorite songs that we sing during the Pascha season (it's kind of the Eastern Orthodox version of Easter).
Ephrem, that is a beautiful mix of Western and Middle-Eastern harmonies. They could have been singing the Nasdaq and I've have been riveted. :)

Perhaps you would not accept this as evidence but I can't not help but become aware of His presence when I hear this song.
I'm a bit of a dilettante musician, or I try to be. I understand how music can make people feel joyful, peaceful and connected. I sometimes get that in my own music, sometimes in various martial arts, occasionally in very very good cooking, or working hard with good people. But for me it's not a mystical experience. It's just humans being generous, contented and good-spirited. I think it emerges far more from how we do things than what we do or why. It seems to me so easy to do that I suppose that I'm surprised we don't do it more.
In short, the wood and the paint itself ceases to be just wood and paint, but only insofar as the experience goes.
This happens at times with some martial arts. You train enough with a weapon (a wooden sword, say) in a certain way, and it starts feeling warm and present. The same happens in some therapies, like shiatsu massage. Most people can experience it.. but it doesn't actually take belief in anything. It just requires us to be awake and invested and generous. I have friends who do the same with food, with music... some do it with cooperative computer-games.

Does it connect us with the universe? Reveal ultimate truth? I don't think so, but it does help us make the most of whatever perceptions we have.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Again with the debasing of objectivity. What did facts and measurements ever do to you?

Ehe, what? As far as I know positivism ran out of steam in the beginning of the 20'th century. It never really recovered from the blows of Nietzsche. By the time Ayn Rand came along it was already well and truly dead. That didn't stop Ayn Rand though. But I think it should have.

I already mentioned somewhere upthread that it's possible to believe in magic without mysticism. But an idealist who believes in magic is functionally indistinguishable from a mystic anyway. In fact, an idealist who believes in sorting buttons is hard to discern from a mystic.

Well, idealism ran into trouble with Shopenhaur. Isn't it dead today? I mean, not on message boards, but within modern philosophy? I kan't (he he) think of any big name in post 19th century philosophy who has taken it seriously since?

Please enlighten me?

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
If all you only see, experience, know and or have access is two-dimensional realities and all the tools and inner logic employed only has the capability of being two-dimensional does this then mean that there's no possibility of there being a three-dimensional reality?
But if all we see, experience, know and have access to is two-dimensional reality, then surely we must rely on two-dimensional evidence, not three-dimensional speculation. And three dimensional behaviour intersecting two-dimensional space would leave two-dimensional evidence -- that evidence could be analysed for intelligent variation. But so far, we're not seeing that.

But that's irrelevant speculation anyway, because what's driving this strained analogy is feelings, and there's no evidence that feelings are an accurate predictor of physical reality. (If they were, people wouldn't get stuck so much in traffic-jams and bad relationships. :D)

Beyond that, it's a wait-and-see.
I wouldn't say it's possible, but I can say that it's conceivable that our orderly, predictable universe could suddenly get very crazy. But that's not how it's acted to date. So people who think that is how it's acted to date have other reasons for thinking that, and that damages their credibility as observers, analysts and teachers. So, whatever may happen tomorrow, today we have to decide who gets to teach the children, and who gets to sit on the silly-stool and lick windows, dreaming of days when they'll show everyone.

I'd say that in retrospect the only evidence you would have of this outcome would be your faith. Why is it evidence?
Faith is not evidence but conviction. Evidence is portable. You can put it in someone's hands and walk away and they can make sense of it. Conviction's personal. It requires no justification.

Can't have faith in the existence of a thing if that thing readily exists.
I'll have to disagree strongly with that, Ephrem. Among the more common applications of faith in my life is the Australian dollar. I use it in the belief that it's worth something, and from time to time, people report what it's worth. I also have faith in my wife -- that she cares for my interests. Sometimes she displays evidence of that, sometimes she doesn't.

The idea that faith doesn't accept evidence is idealistic purism. It debases the value of evidence so as to elevate the 'purist' value of evidence-free conviction. But we use evidence-supported faith all the time. We don't even have to wash our hands afterward.

I can't really come up with a very good explanation of "evidence" for God from a scientific perspective.
If someone wanted to supply evidence of transdimensional interference in usual physical behaviour I think I could understand that. If that interference came in the form of clear, independently-readable messages, I could understand that too. If the messages proved reliable, that would also be interesting. None of that would make me jump onto a God story though. 'God' is a package of too many conflicting things; many of which make no sense to me. I'd do exactly what I'd do if I received an anonymous letter -- start off assuming that someone wrote it, and then try and work out who, how and why.

What's the point then of doing at all?
A personal view? Fear, ambition, lust, curiosity and compassion -- or rather the dissatisfied motives that lead to those emotions. Most animals are restless creatures. We're no exception. We act as we are. If you want to wonder why we are as we are then I wish you well, but I have no clue as to what you'd do with that information once you had it. I'd rather ask how we can best satisfy the contradictions of our natures while being good to each other. I don't think it's nearly as hard as the idealists make out.

I apologize for the length of this
It's shocking, BenB! Nobody writes long posts in this forum. Who do you think you are!!!??

Who operates from the concept that science can explain everything?
I sure don't. In fact we have some very clever results to show otherwise. But those results don't say 'and therefore feelings and guesses and ancient texts will solve those things'. Nobody has ever made a credible argument along those lines to me.

I do believe that if something CAN be explained or understood, science is BY FAR the best method of coming up with good, workable explanations and understandings that are likely to match reality very well.
I'd go a step short of that. We can guess however we like, but science is our only reliable way of confirming our guesses, and using what we learn.

So you're "Psi-negative," just like Susan Blackmore!
I tend to let usage tell me what a word means. Behaviourally, I understand 'psi' to mean a game that four year-olds invented, which dedicated scientists can't make work. Since four year-olds aren't known for under-estimating their abilities, I'm inclined to dismiss it until they can band together in creche and levitate something for me.

I urge anyone with the slightest interest in this area to read the link I posted earlier in this thread to the writing by Susan Blackmore
Hey! While I was link-hopping, I noted you made reference to the much-loved logician Ray Smullyan. Some of his work underpinned my doctoral thesis. :heart::heart::heart:

I read the Blackmore article too. She talks (as Di did) about 'open' and 'closed-minded' skeptics. But in my experience, scientists are open-minded on anything in which they haven't stated a public opinion. They love to tinker and investigate, and Blackmore's story certainly endorses that.

Like Blackmore I'm bored with magical and mystical claims (but only because they're so narrow and predictable...) but I'm not bored with the human quest for knowledge, or the challenge to help one another. I'm certainly not bored by mystics or people who believe in magic -- because they're actually fascinating people.

I don't know, but I expect that while I probably wouldn't look into a legitimate claim of psi or magic myself (not right away, because doing the same dance on so many illegitimate claims is boring), there are people whose opinions I would respect enough that if they got interested, so would I. But I find it more conceivable that a legitimate demonstration of psi or magic would come from someone who wasn't an idealist about such stuff than from someone who was. Because idealists (as per Blackmore's article, Randi's web-site and my own experiences) are prone to huge and often unacknowledged confirmation biases.
There are many seemingly random things that have clear explanations, such as Brownian motion.
I'd love to wade into a discussion of what 'random' might mean, and why it's obscure, and get onto things cognitive, but it feels like a huge departure so I'll exercise rare discipline and won't. But if someone ever kicks off a thread on randomness here, I'll be in like a tick.

Despite two or three decades of multidimensional math and various flavors of String Theory and Superstring Theory (the branch of science I would expect an explanation to come out of), atomic decay hasn't (that I've heard of) been explained through scientific means.
And our current theories indicate that we can't really do it. That doesn't bother me at all. But there are plenty of things that can't be computed to adequate precision to predict -- weather, for instance. Even if we had the theory right (and our theory is pretty good), it's too sensitive to small changes. So we'll gradually get better at it, but we may never be really really good. Stockmarket and some human systems are similar. Anything where people wave their hands and say 'Chaos theory' counts too.

Ehe, what? As far as I know positivism ran out of steam in the beginning of the 20'th century. It never really recovered from the blows of Nietzsche. By the time Ayn Rand came along it was already well and truly dead. That didn't stop Ayn Rand though. But I think it should have.
Having spent too many years of postdoctoral research hanging in the tea-room with professional philosophers, I've come to not worry too much about what they think. They're good at spotting inconsistencies and fun implications, but they're not great at identifying empirical truth. So, like poets, I think they're good for stimulating the creativity, but I wouldn't base a single important decision on what a philosopher said.

Whatever Nietzsche might think of objectivism, physicalism is alive and well in the sciences and in lay life too. And neither precludes what we humans are pleased to call 'objectivity' -- the treating of things as objects that can be studied independently of the observer's beliefs. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle aside, it's the manner of observation that affects the observed, not the beliefs of the observer. So two observers of different beliefs can agree on identical experimental protocols and get identical statistical results.

Well, idealism ran into trouble with Shopenhaur. Isn't it dead today? I mean, not on message boards, but within modern philosophy?
I think that philosophers haven't killed idealism; they only attacked its justification. But with or without philosophical justification, idealism is rampant still through the theoretical sciences, the social sciences, philosophy itself and into theology, magic and mysticism. It's just not always acknowledged and justified when it's used.

Last edited:

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Having spent too many years of postdoctoral research hanging in the tea-room with professional philosophers, I've come to not worry too much about what they think. They're good at spotting inconsistencies and fun implications, but they're not great at identifying empirical truth. So, like poets, I think they're good for stimulating the creativity, but I wouldn't base a single important decision on what a philosopher said.

Identifying empirical truth is always problematic for anybody, let alone philosophers. Or even just "truth" by itself. Maybe they have problems identifying empirical truth, because it is a problem? Could that possibly be the case?

BTW, I agree that the community of philosophers carries a lot of dead weight. After all, it doesn't take much to call yourself a philosopher. The difficulty for a philosopher is getting anybody to care. But you skip from there to discounting the whole community as a whole. That's quite a leap.

Whatever Nietzsche might think of objectivism, physicalism is alive and well in the sciences and in lay life too. And neither precludes what we humans are pleased to call 'objectivity' -- the treating of things as objects that can be studied independently of the observer's beliefs. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle aside, it's the manner of observation that affects the observed, not the beliefs of the observer. So two observers of different beliefs can agree on identical experimental protocols and get identical statistical results.

I've always preferred the term materialist. But that's me as well. I'm about as certain as it's possible for a human to be. But as far as subjectivity is concerned you're forgetting emotions. We're human. Everything we see and experience have to be translated into some emotion meaningful to our basic animal instincts, which we're still very much ruled by.

Even if we can objectively measure anything we can't translate that to anything that is meaningful to our human brains without adding a huge dose of subjectivity, can we? The end result is that we will never have access to any objective truth.

Here's an example from the book I read last night:

Virology by John Carter said:
Acylation is the addition of an acyl group (R–CO–) to
a molecule. An acyl group that is commonly added to
proteins is a myristyl group, where R is CH3–(CH2)12.
The myristyl group is linked to a glycine residue at
the N terminus of the protein. Most viruses lack the
enzyme N-myristyltransferase that is required for this
modification; if one or more of their proteins is myristylated
the process is carried out by a host enzyme.
Many myristylated proteins associate with membranes.
This is true for the Gag proteins of most
retroviruses (Chapter 16); if these proteins are not
myristylated they do not associate with the plasma
membrane and virion assembly does not take place.
Another example of a myristylated protein is the
picornavirus capsid protein VP4

This particular section is about how, after viruses enter the cell, a stage in how they then transcribe and translate their DNA to the host cell.

Here's the thing, until you attach it to an emotion, until you see in your mind the aggressive virus, attack the innocent yet easily fooled cell, this means absolutely nothing. You have to place this list of chemical reactions in a narrative, or our human minds can't retain it, or make any sense of it. We can't not put this in a greater narrative when we read it.

But this one is easy, it's about humans. We have no problems identifying with the victim. What about an electric power station? A rock in the woods? Without the narrative none of it makes any sense to us. The narrative is always subjective. The narrative has to have meaning to you in particular, or you have no idea what it is you just read.

Right?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5 Exhibits in Defence of Magick

I didn't see this vow thing earlier, though this has been a long thread and I haven't carefully read every post. But surely you can see to someone like me and Ruv that it looks like nothing but a convenient excuse?

Fair is fair. It certainly looks that way. There are a few instances of what I would consider magickal experiences that I can discuss, that are either prior to my oath of secrecy, or are so obvious as to make no difference. Hopefully this won't take too long. I'll go chronologically. Every word of this is true.

Exhibit 1:

When I was a young child, I'm thinking about 9 years old, my sister, four years my senior, started getting into the occult. Her dabblings were very brief, probably less than a year, but early on, she was in her room which was the finished portion of the basement of one of the houses my mother lived. She had candles burning when she invited me into her room. She turned out the lights which made me uneasy, as I was still afraid of the dark, but the candle light was sufficient to see. She had a copy of Doreen Valentine's book ABC's of Witchcraft which she read an incantation from. My sister began acting strange, she looked so distant, not her self. She used the wax from the candles and drew a pentagram in a cirlce on her make-up table. I was convinced she was going to get in trouble for that, and might have said as much. She ignored me and continued repeating her incantation. Suddenly she gave a distubing laugh, blow out the candles ran from the room and shut the door.

Now, I was terrified. Immediately, I felt a movement in the darkness in the vicinity of where the door to the utility compartment was. The next thing I know, a very tall figure wearing a dark turtleneck sweater approached me. The darkness was such that I could only discern his torso, for I felt immediately this was a male presence and it was powerful. It was as if the darkness was his head. This entity put his hands on my shoulder. I just shuttered, writing as I remember. That knocked me out of my paralysis of fear and I bolted from the room.

My sister, to this day, denies any hidden accomplices, and doubts my claims. I remember that like it was yesterday.

I'll even take care of the skeptics: Fear induced hallucination?

Possible.

Exhibit 2:

At the age of 15 years old, in my grandparents house in Lenoir, North Carolina, in the foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains, one summer afternoon, I discovered my late uncle's collection of the occult encylopedia, Man, Myth, and Magic. I spent the whole two weeks reading the entire series, and at that point decided to become a magician for two reasons. First, as a means to cure my Gender Identity Dysphoria (though I didn't know that name at the time) and to learn the secrets of the very Universe.

It had been dry there far too long that summer, and I had read about Simon Magus creating tempests upon request. Walking through the large wooded area on the property with such thought in my head, I noticed a strange little piece of papper on the wooded path, some rained on bit of paper that now dry and looking more like ancient parachment. Absently, I picked it up, and was examining it as I came to a berry bush. After that it was almost as if I were looking at myself, as a spectator, as I crushed some of the red berries and used a small stick to draw a pentagram on my "parchment" and wrote the Four Lettered Name of God on there as well. I walked, as if I knew where I was going, but consciously, I had no direction. I stopped at a weird whole in the ground, no more than four inches in diameter. I folded my parchment and dropped it into the hole.

Almost instantly thunderheads appeared upon the horizon, and within fifteen minutes an extremely powerful thunderstorm broke out as I returned the the shelter of the house.

Skeptic: Coincidence.

Possible.

Exhibit 3:

At the age of seventeen, my occult studies were moving along well, but my access to good books on the subject wasn't terrific. This was before the interwebz, remember. I had certainly heard of the importance on Aleister Crowley's works on the subject. My sister and a few friends and I were hanging around the house (different house), bored. I suggested we perform a seance. I used the techniques I picked up from my researches and drew a magick circle on the floor, etc. I further suggested that Aleister Crowley would be an interesting subject to talk to. All agreed. We did our little seance for about twenty minutes to no avail, when the others got bored and demanded beer.

The next day, a different friend, with no contact with the others brought me an occult book catalog featuring Crowley's masterwork, Book 4: Magick in Theoy and Practice.

Possible.

Exhibit 4:

This one I've already mentioned earlier in this thread, but as it is my third greatest work of magick of my lifetime, it should be repeated, but with more explanantion. The tradition of magick I was initiated into deals with, well, initiation. Rituals are performed to balance the practioner's self, climb to different grades reflecting Qabbalahist Spheres and the evolution of self. This path is one that leads to what the alchemists called the Philosopher's Stone, but is generally refered to by magicians as The Great Work, the perfection of the individual, Jung's union of the unconcious, conscious, and superconscious, Self-Individualization, or Union with one's Higher Self. Of this, I can say no more.

I did the above, but I also did my side researches on my, um, well, gender problem (i.e. being the wrong one). I once performed mantra yoga, running a magickal phrase through my head for six weeks, constantly, even while sleeping (no I didn't sleep too well). Excellent training of the will and mind. The day after I finsihed I went to my local comic book store (I was a collector back then) and discovered the just released, first issue of Mike W. Barr's Mantra, about a male warrior who's identity is placed within the body of a beautiful woman with magical powers. Upon the publication of my magickal diary from this period, hundreds of such synchronicities pile up following the hundreds of rituals and exercises I performed. And, yes, I eventually turned myself into a woman.

Skeptic: Obsession, Coincidence, Delusion, Gender Identity Dysphoria, Treatment.

All of the above, but perhaps something more.

Exhibit 5:

Before Dr.Z brought up the Alan Moore stuff in this thread, though a fan of his comic work, I had no idea of Alan's interest in magick. Before posting my defence of magick here, I had never thought of the M.C Escher analogy before I used it here. I have never read such an analogy anywhere. Yet, before the day was out, here I was reading Alan Moore use the exact same analogy (better than I did, of course).

Possible.

I hope that helps.

The problem with Randi's offer by the way is it isn't as clear cut as those here would make it out to be. He'll give you the million, if you can do something he can't do by trickery. He's a stage magician. That my friends is a strawman. Most of my exhibits here could easily be duplicated by trickery.

And the difference between myself and my atheist friends here is simple:

I can see God in a snowflake. They can't.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I agree that the community of philosophers carries a lot of dead weight. After all, it doesn't take much to call yourself a philosopher. The difficulty for a philosopher is getting anybody to care. But you skip from there to discounting the whole community as a whole. That's quite a leap.
I don't discount philosophers any more than I discount poets. I find some philosophers interesting: Bertrand Russell, Ray Smullyan, Alain de Botton are all examples. I think I have a copy of Plato on my bedside table at the moment, too.
Everything we see and experience have to be translated into some emotion meaningful to our basic animal instincts, which we're still very much ruled by.
There's a post hoc ergo propter hoc (follows it, therefore caused by it) fallacy in believing that because one experiences emotions while thinking, emotions thereby determine what one does. For some people in some circumstances that's true. For others in other circumstances it's not true.
Even if we can objectively measure anything we can't translate that to anything that is meaningful to our human brains without adding a huge dose of subjectivity, can we? The end result is that we will never have access to any objective truth.
That's just false, Dr Z. Here's a simple example.

My wife likes doing the puzzles in the daily newspaper and I often enjoy helping her. One of them is a Boggle-like puzzle with nine letters in a box, and you have to make words from them, including one nine-letter word, all using the letter at the centre. There's only one nine-letter word; it's always a tricky combination of letters, and the answer is always familiar word. I seldom experience any emotions while I'm solving it, nor do the emotions affect the word I produce: ultimately, it's a valid word or it's not.

When science explains how things work is largely the same. Empirically, the model either works or it doesn't. Much as with helping my wife on the puzzle, my emotional response to a scientific model could be delight, curiosity, frustration, chagrine, or nothing at all, but the model's use isn't affected, and neither is its validity.
Here's the thing, until you attach it to an emotion, until you see in your mind the aggressive virus, attack the innocent yet easily fooled cell, this means absolutely nothing.
No, that's just you. People learn in different ways. There are people whose minds need emotion to learn, and folk whose minds don't. I'm one of the latter. While I enjoy fiction, I greatly dislike emotional narrative when I'm learning fact and trying to understand consequence. For me, it's an irritating distraction. In fact my staff and workmates know better than to add emotion when they're trying to explain something to me: I'm prone to snap at them.

But you do explain why some people need to someone to 'own' reality... because then the artefact reflects the (imaginary) person, and a person is needed to put it all into perspective.

And some folk don't need that. A system is sufficient. It doesn't need anthropmorphising.
The narrative is always subjective.
Only for people whose lives are always subjective. I have many friends like that and they won't believe that I don't feel before I think. But then I do stuff that shows that I've thought first and felt second (or not at all) and they generally can't believe I've done that.

It's a parody, but for an example of a character who behaves this way, take a look at Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only for people whose lives are always subjective. .

Clearly false. Everyone's brain processes their thoughts and sorts out there perceptions. Everyone. Everything is subjective that anyone experiences. We are alone, ultimately. Our perceptions are by definition, subjective.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Diana, thank you for your stories. I can't comment on them, because they're stories. But they're interesting stories.

The problem with Randi's offer by the way is it isn't as clear cut as those here would make it out to be. He'll give you the million, if you can do something he can't do by trickery.
Er... no. Please read the offer. You do it your own way after agreeing with his foundation the protocols for testing. There's no attempt to reproduce your effect using stage magic. You just have to demonstrate that there is an effect and that you can induce it under an agreed testing protocol. Randi and the Foundation are not involved in the testing procedure itself.

And the difference between myself and my atheist friends here is simple:

I can see God in a snowflake. They can't.
Tosh! Many of the atheists here write fantasy, and some write poetry too. Speaking for myself alone, I have no problem seeing a god in a snowflake -- I just do it in a fictional world.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Diana, I read your post and all I could think was; what about the inbuilt human perceptive biases? No matter what you perceive or experience, magical or not, you're stuck in your brain. As I'm sure you know full well, we are predisposed to looking for and seeing patterns everywhere. We've all got better-safe-than-sorry brains. This is good for keeping us alive, but is bad when it comes to being accurate about reality. This goes just as much for you as Ruv Draba.

Below is a list of some common perception mistakes humans are prone to make. All of which can explain all your supernatural experiences. They cannot rule out magical things happening, but they do prove how using our perceptions alone simply isn't enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_toward_the_mean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omitted-variable_bias
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systematic_bias

When Hume said "Extraordinary claims do require extraordinary evidence" he wasn't making a flippant comment. I think we do need science to slap some sense into us when our monkey brains run away with us.

How hypothetically could your pentagram effect the weather? I mean, how would the physics work? It's not like thunder coming suddenly is some unique occurrence, is it? What's the more likely explanation? I mean, seriously now? If I were in your shoes, what I would do instead is try to figure out why your brain wants you to believe this. Wouldn't that be absolutely fascinating?!? Surely a lot more fascinating than arguing for an alternative interpretation of physics?

...and of course science can't answer everything. If it could scientists would be out of a job. But one of the hardest thing for non-scientists to accept is that those best equipped to come up with alternate theories, or find flaws in science are other scientists. Theologians or witches are in another field of expertise.

Science isn't authoritarian, but has become an almost universal authority anyway. I think that speaks volumes. Scientific theories are an extremely handy and powerful way to understand our world. But not the only way. No scientist has ever claimed that. Is it possible that your experiences do not defy science, but could be real anyway? It's all in how you chose to look at it.

Ephrem Rodriguez

Registered
Reaction score
But if all we see, experience, know and have access to is two-dimensional reality, then surely we must rely on two-dimensional evidence, not three-dimensional speculation. And three dimensional behaviour intersecting two-dimensional space would leave two-dimensional evidence -- that evidence could be analysed for intelligent variation. But so far, we're not seeing that.

Well, that's my point. I mean, if a two-dimensional being has the capability of receiving some sort of communion with a three-dimensional being it would be impossible to detect the evidence because the three-dimensional stuff just doesn't compute. Aside from emotional response, would be the point of contact which, what I'm trying to highlight, would be the only indicator. But what if that point of contact was only detectable in this three-dimensional reality? I mean, where the point of contact is actually made goes beyond the second dimensional reality.

Again, I agree whole-heartedly that from a scientific perspective this "point of contact" would only be considered, at best, speculation. That's why I point at faith as the responder of that contact. And faith can only be considered "evidence" in retrospect.

But that's irrelevant speculation anyway, because what's driving this strained analogy is feelings, and there's no evidence that feelings are an accurate predictor of physical reality. (If they were, people wouldn't get stuck so much in traffic-jams and bad relationships. :D)

Well, I was trying to draw the hypothetical illustration as a means to highlight that faith itself might only be the response to contact. This would be outside the realm of emotional tapestry, though "feelings" surely fire up in response to the experience. That's also why I threw in the dis-qualifier that you can't guess or take a stab in the dark but that the true "faith" would be one that was an actual response to an actual connection and not just some speculation.

I wouldn't say it's possible, but I can say that it's conceivable that our orderly, predictable universe could suddenly get very crazy. But that's not how it's acted to date. So people who think that is how it's acted to date have other reasons for thinking that, and that damages their credibility as observers, analysts and teachers. So, whatever may happen tomorrow, today we have to decide who gets to teach the children, and who gets to sit on the silly-stool and lick windows, dreaming of days when they'll show everyone.

Well, I feel you might be making an orange apple salad here. I mean, let's say there's a group of people who saw a man walk on water, no chemistry or whathaveyou up the man's (who walked on water) sleeve. Now, there are two types of people who might respond favorably to this group of witnesses. One person might assume that this is just how the natural world works. Like ball lightening occurs, so does a man walking on water. Now this person might fit into what you are talking about as a type of person.

There are certainly types of people that despite any kind of connection or connected belief in what the group of witnesses saw, just hears the witnesses testimonies as a mere validation of something they already personally assumed to be a reality (a stab in the dark).

However, the second group would see, based on the testimonies, that this man defied the natural world and was, outside of the natural realm, able to command the natural world to act irrationally from a natural world perspective. And assuming they connect to this reality and respond to it, regardless of feeling or assumption, with faith/belief/trust.

The second group is of course what I'm trying to illustrate to help explain hypothetically how, if my faith is true, this might be conceivable from a logical point of view. However, again, I admit that there's nothing in all of existence that I'm aware of that has the ability to directly capture or put God's essence in a test-tube.

Faith is not evidence but conviction. Evidence is portable. You can put it in someone's hands and walk away and they can make sense of it. Conviction's personal. It requires no justification.

Well, see, that's why I gave the hypothetical and called faith evidence but the kind of evidence that would only be able to be validate or considered "portable" in retrospect.

Like, Newtonian physics only remain true insofar as the vacuum of information they work within goes but once we get into light, those physics don't really contain any evidence of the physics pertaining to light etc. Doesn't mean that the physics at work in light didn't exist in Newtons time but retrospectively of course, they are found to have been constant (portable).

I'll have to disagree strongly with that, Ephrem. Among the more common applications of faith in my life is the Australian dollar. I use it in the belief that it's worth something, and from time to time, people report what it's worth. I also have faith in my wife -- that she cares for my interests. Sometimes she displays evidence of that, sometimes she doesn't.

Well, you can have faith in the Australian dollar's worth but until you receive the report of it's worth, you don't actually have that which you believe it to be - it's worth, until the report comes out. And then, insofar as the reported worth is true in whatever sense of "true" we're talking about here, your faith ceases to be faith.

Of course the value fluxes so you are given the task of having faith, having the faith confirmed or rejected and then starting the process all over again.

Same would apply to our wives. We may have faith that our wives care for our interests but until that faith is confirmed, you don't have that which you believe to be true. You only have faith that she will supply care until she actually does or doesn't at which point the faith in her care will either be confirmed or rejected. Also, your faith in her care ceases to be faith once she delivers or demonstrably won't deliver her care.

Know what I mean?

The idea that faith doesn't accept evidence is idealistic purism. It debases the value of evidence so as to elevate the 'purist' value of evidence-free conviction. But we use evidence-supported faith all the time. We don't even have to wash our hands afterward.

Oh, not at all. This is one of the questions that I continue to meditate on. Why would God require us to have faith over simply being given the satisfaction of "proof"?

It's not that the value of evidence is lower than value of faith or conviction. The value that Christianity holds up isn't conviction or faith in comparison to evidence (read the biblical account of Thomas who needed to have "evidence" that Jesus raised from the dead - Thomas had a twin brother and so probably thought that this "Jesus" may have been a look-alike).

The value that is held in high regard is only the object of that evidence or faith - God Himself. Evidence and faith might just be two different roads to the same destination and for some wonderfully mysterious reason, God will have most of us take the latter.

In regards to your line "evidence-supported faith" I agree. I mean, like you have faith that your wife cares for your interest, you have a good deal of experiences you can draw on to increase your confidence in your faith's probability. However, barring any unforeseen changes, this doesn't diminish either "evidence" or "faith" but only show how the two can work together to instill confidence or the lack of. But truly, you begin with a point of contact and then work your way back to that contact using faith and evidence together. Her care, you hope, is not temporal in regards to the span of her life, but again, until she lives out that span, you have to wait and see, have faith.

The issue with most people of faith is that because their perspective is based on faith and their faith (if it's correct) is what they hold in reaction to "contact" (even if it is just conceptual), then everything built on that faith necessarily becomes faith-based evidence.

A tree can reveal a few attributes of what God is like but in order to see those attributes, there first has to be some kind of contact. You have to believe that there is a God and you must then first seek His face "in" the tree. The tree, for the person who has faith, becomes evidence once it's tested by their faith.

To the one that denies this "contact" and has no faith in this contact, will demand that the tree give evidence first.

So, it's not a progression like: I exist therefore God exists.

It's not a construction. You don't take the evidence of your existence and then mix it with a notion of His existence and then juxtapose that evidence of your existence onto your notion of His existence. Like, "well, since I exist and all this other stuff exists, He must, therefore, exist."

It's a deconstruction. He exists. However, there is nothing in this natural world that can validate what I experienced or know (whatever "know" means) to be true and so I will keep the faith that what I knew or am in contact with was and still is and always true.

The food chain exists and can tell me what He is like and so knowing this I will use my specific faith in who this god is and then determine just what about Him I can deduce from the food chain. However, this will all be based on the faith I keep which is based on contact that is scientifically impossible to "prove".

Meh. I'm getting dizzy. :tongue

'God' is a package of too many conflicting things; many of which make no sense to me. I'd do exactly what I'd do if I received an anonymous letter -- start off assuming that someone wrote it, and then try and work out who, how and why.

In Orthodoxy this is why, perhaps, there is so much emphasis on the Apostles and the lives of the Saints. The Holy Scriptures play a much different role in the Orthodox Church than it does in protestantism and it sort of touches on what you're saying but I won't go there.

In short, we see the Holy Scriptures as a product of the Church. The bible is not the pillar and ground of truth as it is in protestantism. The Church is in accordance with the scriptures but is not "based" on it. We place more importance on the lives of those that came before us, who preserved their experiences and the testimony that they received from the generations that preceded them. All the way back to the Apostles (disciples of Christ).

A personal view? Fear, ambition, lust, curiosity and compassion -- or rather the dissatisfied motives that lead to those emotions. Most animals are restless creatures. We're no exception. We act as we are. If you want to wonder why we are as we are then I wish you well, but I have no clue as to what you'd do with that information once you had it. I'd rather ask how we can best satisfy the contradictions of our natures while being good to each other. I don't think it's nearly as hard as the idealists make out.

If I know that we are as we are, in part, because culture colors the way in which we see the world, then once I find out that culture can color things and works a certain way, I can then refrain from having to look at the world through X colored lenses provided to me by culture. I can also not react violently more so than had I not been informed that culture influences what we are as we are.

My response is sort of the same thing you mentioned about trying to synthesize conflicts in our own nature both for the good of the self and the community.

Too early for all this. !

;)

God bless

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Everything is subjective that anyone experiences.
But the topic of evidence is not a topic of experience (which is subjective), but shared confirmation. So it's about reliable observation.

We have no difficulty repeating observations in this world. If you count ducks and I count ducks and we're competent at counting, and the ducks are sitting still and tractable, we arrive at the same number of ducks. How you feel about ducks and how I feel might be different, but we have reached agreement on our duck-count. So whatever our feelings might be, we are not alone in knowing that we share our world with the same number of ducks.

The reason your computer talks to mine, the reason your surgery and treatments worked... the reason that people cared enough to help you do what you could not do alone yourself, are all due to the fact that you are not alone.

You are not alone. You share a world with other people. They share similar genes, similar designs of mind, similar empathy to you. They are very often capable of understanding, anticipating, caring, sympathising and helping. They may be more capable than you admit.

You are not alone.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Only for people whose lives are always subjective. I have many friends like that and they won't believe that I don't feel before I think. But then I do stuff that shows that I've thought first and felt second (or not at all) and they generally can't believe I've done that.

He he... ok, then, explain you. Why do you see yourself as just one person? Why do you see yourself as just you? Why do individuals at all exist? This isn't even philosophy, this is science. If you open the brain, there's no you. It's just a network of signals all vying for control over the body. You are yourself a fiction of your brain. Our entire being is at its core a narrative story. I'm not the only one who sees myself as just one unified person, an individual. There's a lot of us.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Diana, I read your post and all I could think was; what about the inbuilt human perceptive biases? No matter what you perceive or experience, magical or not, you're stuck in your brain. As I'm sure you know full well, we are predisposed to looking for and seeing patterns everywhere. We've all got better-safe-than-sorry brains. This is good for keeping us alive, but is bad when it comes to being accurate about reality. This goes just as much for you as Ruv Draba.

Reality? Everything is ultimately subjective.

I knew most would poo-poo my "stories," don't think I'd don't do it too, from time to time. I could care less. When asked for some "evidence" I provided it.

I'm grateful to you (very grateful) for the Alan Moore interviews. I realize that you were reminded of them from some of the things I posted, and, of course, by the nature of this thread. Don't be surprised if I'm in Northampton hanging out with him by the Autumnal Equinox. ;)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But the topic of evidence is not a topic of experience (which is subjective), but shared confirmation. So it's about reliable observation.

I don't disagree that we have been trained to see the same number of ducks. Some mentally ill people won't see the same number of ducks. Some people train themselves to see that there is no difference between the ducks, the pond, the us.

I continue to remain less certain than my competition. ;)

Ephrem Rodriguez

Registered
Reaction score
I think St. John Chrysostom said, "a conceivable god is no god at all".

This is Orthodox thought and reveals the difference between some of the Western "Christian" expressions.

To further confound, the Orthodox position would be that we all have made "contact" or have a communion (are connected to) with God to some degree and rediscovering this connection and then maintaining it is sort of the point of Christian living. In order to be who we truly are, we must discover our inner self in His purpose instead of our own vacuous sense of what purpose might be and then juxtaposing that onto our notion of who He is. If we juxtaposed our own sense of purpose onto Him, then what we are doing is basically fashioning God in our own image instead of the reality that all men are made in His image.

Again, this is impossible to prove using the "natural" world. On the same note, we also view the "true" natural world as God's reality and the temporal consistencies of this world are considered to be the "unnatural" world.

For example. To walk on water is natural but in this unnatural temporal experience, the natural seems quite unnatural.

Ok. Seriously. I'm eating triscuits and hummus now. No more of this.

:e2zipped:

Status
Not open for further replies.