• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Camino Books

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Here is what I know. Small publisher with a specialty in Mid Atlantic local and regional titles. Listed on P&E, but no leanings either way.

Here is what I don't know: Do they get books in stores? Are the reputable. Has anyone ever dealt with them?

This would be a decently ideal publisher for me, so I am certianly curious.

Thanks

Chris

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Not speaking from experience, but they sure look good to me for regional titles that might have national interest. They have a very large current and backlog of titles, and they've been doing it since 1987. 6-8 books a years is a nice little house. I did see one sports title in there, so I'd give em' a go, Chris. Hell, I might even try them out, but I'm not mid-atlantic oriented.

Tri

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
Not speaking from experience, but they sure look good to me for regional titles that might have national interest. They have a very large current and backlog of titles, and they've been doing it since 1987. 6-8 books a years is a nice little house. I did see one sports title in there, so I'd give em' a go, Chris. Hell, I might even try them out, but I'm not mid-atlantic oriented.

Tri

That's kinda what I was thinking, I just wanted to make sure no one around these parts might stand up and say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they are awful.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Hi Chris, I don't know about that publisher, but I think you should be very wary of small publishers who SAY they are going to have books at B&N etc. I published a book with Port Town Publishing because the editor said they distribute through both Ingram & Baker & Tayor. Well, so far NO ONE has been able to get a book at brick and motar stores. They tell everyone either the book is out of print (it came out in JUNE!) or that it's unavilable - whatever that means. I've had people all over the states and as far away as New Zealand get the same story. Every time complain to the publisher she says it's not her - it's Ingram and Baker & Taylor! I'm disgusted with the whole mess and at this point have moved on. I'll wait out my contract and try to publish the book elsewhere - or just keep writing new ones.

Carlene
www.crdater.com

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Carlene, Port Town's site is rife with signs they're a problematic publisher, not the least of which is their use of the phrase "fiction novels".

Just for reference, I urge folks to compare http://www.porttownpublishing.bigstep.com
with http://www.caminobooks.com/new.html. Note the marked difference in quality of product and presentation. Camino might well use POD technology like Port Town does, but Camino is a commercially-oriented business (i.e. sell to the reader, not the author).

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
My advice is always to start at the top and work down. There's plenty of time for small-to-miniature presses if larger presses with undoubted bookstore presence turn you down.

Have you considered Globe Pequot? They don't require an agent, if that's what's stopping you.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
My advice is always to start at the top and work down. There's plenty of time for small-to-miniature presses if larger presses with undoubted bookstore presence turn you down.

Have you considered Globe Pequot? They don't require an agent, if that's what's stopping you.

I assumed that they did require an agent. I will put them on my query list as well. I can't actually send anything other than queries out at this point b/c my ms it out on an exclusive with an agent, but it doesn't hurt to have "irons in the fire". Thanks for the tip Uncle Jim.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
I know chances are slim to none ... but has anyone had experience with Camino in the last five years?