• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display site] BookRix

matdonna

matushka at large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rafterssriptorium.blogspot.com
I got this e-mail, did anyone else? -- DF

Hi,

There is currently running a free-to-enter short story contest on BookRix for writers and readers. The theme is "Family Stories".

Prizes on the line include $1.800,00 in prize money for writers, "fame!" and Amazon vouchers (each worth $20) for voting readers.

The 10 best-rated stories will be given to an independent jury consisting of the Georgia Writers Association, Elite Editing & BookRix.

Perhaps you want to submit your own story into the competition or become a judge and vote for others to win great prizes. If so, please go to the following contest pages:
http://www.bookrix.com/contest.html?contestID=BX_1261137553

BookRix features the latest in digital flip book technology providing you a unique online reading experience.

Good luck to all! :)

Sverre Jon Værnes

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Bookrix must do an annual spam, because I got two emails from 'Shani' telling me about the wonderful chance to Read Books Online!
But at least they don't seem to be targetting writers this time.

-Barbara

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Just updating - another spam from bookrix, this time for proofreaders:
Hi,

Proofreaders are actually much needed and in high demand in many different facets.

The average proofreader salary and proofreader rates:
http://proofreaders-editors.blogspot.com/

Proofreaders can be found in many different job fields such working for magazines,
newspapers, publishing houses, radio stations, news shows, television shows etc.
Many of these jobs will pay their proofreaders decent money depending on their
experience, the corporation they are working for and how efficient and quick they
can work...

Der Absender empfielt Dir folgenden Link:
http://www.bookrix.de/_mybook-shani2010_1273251946.6829349995

-Barbara

bookluvr

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Publish your books for free on BookRix.com

Do you already know BookRix.com? It´s a website that helps authors publish their books and allows members to discuss their work and get feedback. Currently, they have over a million international members participating in the community. The site allows authors to read and comment on each other´s books (free as well as sale books), get feedback from readers and also self-publish their work.

BookRix recently launched a free publishing service, so there is no more initial fee. Free of charge, they will distribute their author´s eBooks to over 60 external stores - including Amazon, Apple iBookstore, Kobo and Barnes and Nobles.

Far too long, many self-publishing companies have priced their services in a way that makes it impossible for the average aspiring published author to afford - but no longer.

Click here to learn more:
http://www.bookrix.com/self-publishing-publish-and-sell-ebook.html

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Yeah, this probably needs to move to the Ads and Self-promotion section.

Your site implies ALL of your packages are free, by the way - the 'pro' package says it costs $0.00. Is that right?

(What the heck is this sort of thing, by the way?)

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering about the 'start up costs' still mentioned in the author's contract, and as Torgo mentioned - why three different "free" packages?

Just one of those "if it sounds too good to be true" things at this point.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Bookluvr, what exactly is your association with BookRix? You have only two posts here at AW, and both are promotional in nature.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It looks to me like all packages are free while Bookrix has a membership-slash-customer-base of only 500 people. But at some point any package that allows sales will have an undisclosed fee. And there is no suggestion that early adopters will be grandfathered in and remain free.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
It's a YADS:
BookRix provides an online destination where authors can showcase their writing masterpieces and sell them. When you register with us you will have the ability to design your own personal profile page with a picture, videos, music play lists, and more - make your profile unique. Your profile gives you the tools that you need to create your own books, recommend your favorite literature, and promote yourself as an author, reader, or both!

And, um, seriously?
BookRix has pioneered the way and become the very first book community where anyone, (yes, anyone) can place their own books, short stories, poems, biographies, you name it, to be promoted and sold on the web as a published piece. You can say that we are the Daniel Boon of the internet portal frontier!
You're about... how many years late for that?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And that would be Daniel Boone.

Deleted member 42

Yeah, this probably needs to move to the Ads and Self-promotion section.

No, really, it doesn't. That's for AW members in good standing; not for spammers link whoring for YADS.

astrodragon

New Dragon; thinking about coffee
Registered
Reaction score
BookRix? Anyone heard of them?

I self pubbed a couple of books on the usual culprits (Smashwords, Amazon) recently, and today got an email from an outfit called Bookrix asking if I wanted them to be my publisher and distribute the books.

It seems a bit odd.
I couldnt find them listed in the publishers sticky, so I though I would ask and see if anyone knows anything about them.

They seem reasonably legitimate (as far as their site et al goes), but I am puzzled as to what I get out of it.

Their contract is about 12 pages of legalese, some of which puts everything on the shoulders of the author.
They claim in the email to pay 75% - 85% of royalties, yet in the contracy it mentions 43% (of net). Big difference here.

They say they will distribute to various stores (stores or e-stores isnt clear), but Smashwords does this with a lot less paperwork and complex legal documents.

Can anyone help on these people? It doesn't seem to be a scam, more to me like a pretty poor deal for the author, but I could be unfair in that assumption.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
There's a thread here: <snipped>

Last edited by a moderator: