AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Spinetingler Magazine / Snubnose Press

Spinetingler Magazine / Snubnose Press

i have found a home for my new short, if they want it. it is spinetingler magazine. i found it on duoptrope.

what has given me cause for concern is this:

Submissions should include the email address for the authorís paypal account in order to ensure that payment is made within thirty days following publication. Failure to include the paypal information may result in a delay in payment. Please note that we do not pay by check, cash, or exchange of services.

does that sound odd to anyone? is it normal for a magazine to ask for a paypal email addy?

anyone have any experience with this publication?

thanks

JP
    the force is illogical
    deep down i am realy quite shallow

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    that does sound a little odd. but not really stragne in these times I guess.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry phoenix View Post

does that sound odd to anyone? is it normal for a magazine to ask for a paypal email addy?

anyone have any experience with this publication?

thanks

JP
    I've been paid by PayPal for stories. It's very convenient for international pubs (in my case, I'm American paid by a UK mag) because PayPal converts the currency for you. I once bought books from a publisher in Portugal. My bank refused to write a check in Euros and the publisher's bank refused to take a check in $US. It was a mess; I lost the $70 in the certified check and the publisher never got their money for the books they sent.

What concerns me in your case is that they want it with the submission. Usually it's only requested if you are offered a contract.
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    The email address is how they are able to send the money to you through paypal. Without it, you don't get paid. Absolutely nothing unusual about that. Like Chris said it's more worrisome that they want it with your submission, not after.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

I used to get paid for reading manuscripts by paypal, but the fee they took made it not worthwhile.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW

Question Anyone heard of/know anything about Snubnose Press?

A Twitter friend got an offer from them. Looks like they do e-book only. Wondering if anyone has any firsthand knowledge of them?

Thanks in advance.

Murder isn't so bad...
    I've never heard of them before, but it worries me that they don't even own their own domain for their site. That completely turns me off and makes me think amateur. I have no idea what the quality of the work produced is but they seem like the standard POD press (not necessarily a bad thing). I have no idea what they are like but those are my obsevations from 5 minutes of searching.
    Here's a link to their site for anyone else reading this:
    http://snubnosepress.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryRiter View Post
    I've never heard of them before, but it worries me that they don't even own their own domain for their site. That completely turns me off and makes me think amateur. I have no idea what the quality of the work produced is but they seem like the standard POD press (not necessarily a bad thing). I have no idea what they are like but those are my obsevations from 5 minutes of searching.
    Here's a link to their site for anyone else reading this:
    http://snubnosepress.wordpress.com/
    yeah, that's something that bugs me, too. i mean, i'm not even published and i own my own domain. i've looked at some of their cover designs on amazon, and they own the e-zine Spinetingler ...

Murder isn't so bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    yeah, that's something that bugs me, too. i mean, i'm not even published and i own my own domain. i've looked at some of their cover designs on amazon, and they own the e-zine Spinetingler ...
    May I ask why you are interested in this anyway? Is it because you don't like it when others close to you succeed before you and you want some comfort (don't take this personally, I've done it many times before ) or are you considering submitting? The only reason I ask this is because I won't trash them any further if you are interested in subbing.

May I ask why you are interested in this anyway? Is it because you don't like it when others close to you succeed before you and you want some comfort (don't take this personally, I've done it many times before ) or are you considering submitting? The only reason I ask this is because I won't trash them any further if you are interested in subbing.
    i'm potentially interested in subbing. they seem to be looking for what i write: crime/suspense ... but you can trash 'em if you want. no skin off my nose.

just as an cryptic side note: they know how to google. haha

/end cryptic sidenote.

Murder isn't so bad...
    I don't think I'll trash 'em because I don't have much else bad to say. They don't look bad at all; their covers are decent but I don't see what they offer that you can't do yourself if you self-pub. They don't seem like a wealth of promotion in my opinion. Again, I have no idea but I am, as I previously said, worried about the non-domain. It really gives off negative vibes about the publisher to me at least. Who knows, they may be great but I don't think they are better than self-publishing unless you are the type of person who will NEVER self-pub. Just my opinion.

I also write crime/suspense! There are a lot of good publishers out there for this genre and there is one that is coming out soon that I have on my radar...

I don't think I'll trash 'em because I don't have much else bad to say. They don't look bad at all; their covers are decent but I don't see what they offer that you can't do yourself if you self-pub. They don't seem like a wealth of promotion in my opinion. Again, I have no idea but I am, as I previously said, worried about the non-domain. It really gives off negative vibes about the publisher to me at least. Who knows, they may be great but I don't think they are better than self-publishing unless you are the type of person who will NEVER self-pub. Just my opinion.

I also write crime/suspense! There are a lot of good publishers out there for this genre and there is one that is coming out soon that I have on my radar...
    i won't say never on the self-pub thing. but a contract is still the dream, you know? at least for me. the tough thing for me is that i want it so badly it's hard not to jump at the first chance, no matter if it's the best choice or not.

i might be a little eager.

and about crime writing i'm influenced by Robert B. Parker, Donald Westlake and Elmore Leonard (not bad folks to be influenced by, heh) ... how about you?

Murder isn't so bad...
    Ok, we're getting a little off topic... I'll PM you in a minute and we can talk...

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Clarification

Spinetingler Magazine is the parent of Snubnose Press. Snubnose does not own Spinetingler.

Spinetingler Magazine is an MWA-approved zine, and its published fiction is eligible for Edgar Award consideration. It is one of the few paying ezine markets in the crime genre and has been in operation for six years, and nominated for awards.

Snubnose follows in the same tradition, with a committed team who are not focused on making a big splash or spending big and taking money out of writer's pockets. We're focused on supporting quality fiction. Ebooks have started; printed books are under discussion. The authors who benefit from working with us are ones who don't want to learn how to do ebook formatting, or cover design, or paying for an independent editor. All titles to date have been extremely well reviewed, we're publishing well-known writers and authors, and have negotiated contracts with authors with agents representing them and our contracts were vetted by agents before being set in place, and all our covers are professionally designed.

If that makes us amateur, take heart in the fact that it's a free world, and no author needs to submit to us.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Both Spinetingler and Snubnose are currently closed to submissions, according to their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Ruttan View Post
    Spinetingler Magazine is the parent of Snubnose Press. Snubnose does not own Spinetingler.

Spinetingler Magazine is an MWA-approved zine, and its published fiction is eligible for Edgar Award consideration. It is one of the few paying ezine markets in the crime genre and has been in operation for six years, and nominated for awards.

Snubnose follows in the same tradition, with a committed team who are not focused on making a big splash or spending big and taking money out of writer's pockets. We're focused on supporting quality fiction. Ebooks have started; printed books are under discussion. The authors who benefit from working with us are ones who don't want to learn how to do ebook formatting, or cover design, or paying for an independent editor. All titles to date have been extremely well reviewed, we're publishing well-known writers and authors, and have negotiated contracts with authors with agents representing them and our contracts were vetted by agents before being set in place, and all our covers are professionally designed.

If that makes us amateur, take heart in the fact that it's a free world, and no author needs to submit to us.
    I just wanted to say thank you for coming into the thread to answer my question. I'd not heard of your press until today, but it certainly sounds like my stuff would be right up your alley.

Please understand that I wasn't trying to be rude by querying the faithful at AW -- they usually have good anecdotal evidence about a variety of publishers/agents/etc.

Thanks again for your input.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Nothing from Snubnose since '13. Spinetingler still active.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: