Possibly dumb question about queries

wysewomon

Iconoclast
Registered
Reaction score
I recently posted a query letter here for feedback. Apparently I did everything wrong. I put the word count first, mentioned a possible sequel, gave a bio, etc. I was told never to do these things. But I'm confused. I've looked at a lot of agent submission guidelines and they all ask for a brief bio. I've looked at a lot of sample successful queries (not on this site; on agents' websites and blogs). Every one put an introduction and the word count first. Many mentioned possible series.

So what's what?

WW

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Different people have different opinions :D Doesn't sound like the standard advice from Query letter hell though.

I've not heard of not putting the word count up front - that's where it normally goes, afaia

Series? Hmm, well opinion differs. I wouldn't say never mention it, particularly in some genres where series are popular ( UF and other fantasy for example)Is there is series potential, sure mention that. If the series HAS to have three books to make sense, well you'd probably better mention that too - series do sell. I personally used the phrase 'This is a stand alone book with series potential'

As for the bio, again that's personal preference. General advice is put in things that are relevant to the book ( ie it's a police procedural and you've spent the last twenty years as Chief Constable), and / or previous publishing credits. Agents probably won't care if you collect knitted tea cosies :D If you have no credits and there's nothing relevant...well just don't put anything possibly? Again depends

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It's always best to start with what the agent wants. This can mean different formats for different agents, but thems the breaks. :) Barring particular agent wants/hates, use the format as presented by successful letters for your first couple batches, then refine according to any feedback you receive.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Yes!

Unfortunately, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Some parts of a query letter are a matter of personal preference, like whether to put the w-c paragraph first or at the end. Some are absolutes, like it must be in proper business letter format.

Include a bio paragraph(s): a) if the agent/editor requests that you include one, b) if you have experience relevant to the subject matter in your novel, or c) if you have a publishing history. If you have no sales, no experience and they don't request it, a bio paragraph just emphasizes that lack.

My understanding about mentioning a series is that it's okay to do so, provided you emphasize this novel stands alone. No publisher wants to take a chance on a series by an unknown author unless the first novel can stand alone.

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
I understand, wysewomon. As you look around the net at different successful queries, they vary hugely. Sometimes I'm really surprised by the ones that land an agent. I think Query Letter Hell is really useful - it's where people will see absolutely anything that could be wrong with your query. That makes it a useful tool for me, but it doesn't mean that any one's person opinions are absolutely always correct. My motto: look for trends among the feedback, consider every suggestion, then apply what feels right for you.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
You're misinterpreting the advice you were given.

Your bio should include only what is directly relevant to your novel; either previously published work, or specific life experience that's directly connected to the topic or world of your novel (if you're querying a novel about motocross racing, it's relevant to mention that you are a former motocross champion). If you have nothing relevant to include, don't include anything.

As for the "well, I've seen other people do it" -- sometimes people succeed despite a lack of professionalism or a slipup. But that's not an argument against trying to be as professional as possible in a query letter.

However, you don't have to listen to me or to anyone in QLH. Quite a few agents have been very detailed in talking about what is and isn't effective in a query letter. Let me point you toward Colleen Lindsay, Nathan Bransford (and check his sidebar for more on query letters), and Kristin Nelson (search her tag "queries" for more).

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Alot of agents etc like to know who you are in the form of a bio. i tend to mention that in the cover letter or email, for instance, who I am, why I wrote the book etc. very brief.

I don't usually mention those sort of things in teh query because the query is about the story.

wysewomon

Iconoclast
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I am confused then, between the cover letter and the query. Lots of agents' websites seem to mention them as if they are nearly the same thing. Or so it seems to me.

WW

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I am confused then, between the cover letter and the query. Lots of agents' websites seem to mention them as if they are nearly the same thing. Or so it seems to me.

WW

You're correct. Many do. And it is definitely confusing, but the little inconsistencies become less muddling as you go along. Hang in there.

When querying, send a query, hopefully with some pages (unless the agent's guidelines say "query only" or in some other way ask you not to submit pages). I have seen some agents refer to the query as the "cover letter." Don't worry- at this stage, it's the query no matter what they call it.

wheelwriter

Not a runner, running.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I recently posted a query letter here for feedback. Apparently I did everything wrong. I put the word count first, mentioned a possible sequel, gave a bio, etc. I was told never to do these things. But I'm confused. I've looked at a lot of agent submission guidelines and they all ask for a brief bio. I've looked at a lot of sample successful queries (not on this site; on agents' websites and blogs). Every one put an introduction and the word count first. Many mentioned possible series.

So what's what?

There isn't one definite, correct way to write a query letter. As for putting the word count first, I'd only do it if it was necessary to ground the reader (they wouldn't understand what's going on without the genre). There's a whole thread on the topic. A lot of agents check their email using a Blackberry (or some equivalent), so if you can engage them right away, I think that's the best approach. The "I am seeking representation" line isn't overly catchy, and it's taking up the best real estate if it's on top. The bottom line is if you demonstrate a solid abilitly to write, present an interesting protagonist, and show some sort of plot that propels the reader forward, then the series potential, your bio, and where you put your word count won't really matter.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Your query letter needs to have certain things in it. Word count and publication history are definitely required. Where you put them is up to you, though. I prefer to put them at the end of queries, since I like to have every opportunity to get a strong hook in first. But it likely won't make or break your query if you put it at the beginning instead.

What you really must do is write a compelling query body. That WILL make or break your chances.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Drafting queries is an artform, not a science IMO. What QLH can help you do is draft a query likely to appeal to the widest audience of agents - that means following some constructs that conform to many agents' stated likes and dislikes.

But queries that break these constructs, and bad queries even, land agents all the time. The key is, the more non-conforming or "bad" your query is, the luckier and more talented you need to be.

If your book is genius and polished and perfect, or very high concept, you will have an easier time attracting the attention of an agent, even with a weak or flawed query.

But the less high concept your book, the less exceptional your concept or writing, the harder your query has to work.

So, people will tell you never or always all over QLH - you need to decide:
- is that person's opinion trustworthy, and
- does that "rule" work for you.

When multiple people tell you the same thing, and you have read some of their other critiques, and agreed with those critiques, and it all is backed up by your own research, then you should think hard before ignoring that advice. But when you get conflicting advice from seemingly equally reputable sources, and the specific agent hasn't opined on the subject, then you need to go with your gut instinct and what is best for your book.

And remember, a query's sole purpose is to get enough of the agent's attention to cause the agent to look at the enclosed/pasted in pages, or to ask for some pages. So...forget perfection. Try to draft an effective query, and then tailor it to match the expectations and likes of the specific agent.

So, for example, if Agent A asks that you include a market comparison, do it for Agent A, but you don't have to do so for all the other agents. And if Agent B posts what she thinks is a fantastic query, you might want to look at her comments and why and use it as a model for yours. And if she loves rhetorical questions, use them for her, but know that many other agents hate them.

In QLH, there are some very experienced critiquers, and some completely inept critiquers. You'll have to figure out which comments work for you, and which seem less helpful. And you'll ultimately need to draft a query that sells your book.

Mine was far less voicey than I often push other people to be in their query. I made the calculated decision to go with a less voicey, but more clear and straightforward query, and hope the pages would hook an agent. That risk worked for me. Might not work for someone else.

Ultimately, all the query has to do is get the agent's attention enough to cause them to read the pages - that's it. So, even flawed queries work sometimes (maybe even a lot of the time) - but it still seems, to me, to be best to try to draft the most effective query you can.

And I'll second IceCreamEmpress - go read a lot of agent blogs for how they read queries - in addition to the ones she listed, I'd suggest checking out Queryshark's blog (agent Janet Reid) and there are also a lot of other agents blogging and discussing queries online. So, check out the agents you are interested in; see if they have blogs on which they have critiqued queries, or if they have critiqued queries in any online contests, etc.

good luck.

~suki

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You need the Queryshark
queryshark.blogspot.com