Curling

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have paid little attention to the Winter Olympiad in Vancouver this week, although I did watch the snowboard half-pipe competition tonight while having a glass of wine at a local watering hole, and damn, that Shaun White is da dude, dudes.

But I also, for the first time, watched curling analytically (Swedes vs. Brits, women's competition), and got eerily fascinated. So, a minor digressive story:

Me and the wifeperson spent a couple of weeks in July last year motoring around British Columbia, and a great trip it was. We were amused at seeing, in virtually every small town of any substance in the southern portion of the province, a big building housing, by label, a curling club. Now, most of these towns were within fifty miles or so of the U.S. border, but in towns of similar size in Washington, you won't find any damn curling club, that kind of building having been replaced by bowling lanes.

The two activities are considerably similar. And in watching the curling tonight, I saw a level of skill considerably more impressive than I've seen in U.S. style bowling competitions. Not to mention actual strategy and teamwork. I left feeling like we Yanks are really missing something here. Especially us Yanks who live northward of most Canades.

caw

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
It's one of the few sports Scotland participate in where we aren't publicly humiliated at every level. Andy Murray, Chris Hoy and the curling team and that's pretty much it. So I should love it, but I don't. And the more people who take it up, the more likely we are to start being publicly humiliated at every level. So thanks, blac. Thanks very much. ;)

Last edited:

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
One of the GB team used to be my parents neighbours. I'd forgotten there's a curling pond where we go to feed the ducks and swans. Weird.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
It's one of the few sports Scotland participate in where we aren't publicly humiliated at every level.

Team GB. Team GB. Not Scotland.

(Actually, curling is a bit pants. You can keep it)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Team GB. Team GB. Not Scotland.

I meant in general, not specifically the Olympics. I apologise. Although you can bet your arse the teams will be Scottish if/when they lose...

(Actually, curling is a bit pants. You can keep it)

Thanks. Here's your cricket back. Keep it off my telly this time... ;)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The other day I found myself hypnotized by the US Women's vs Japan in curling. I make fun of curling for three years and then on the fourth year, I can't stop watching it.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I've never gotten the whole spectator sports thing... except sex. That's sometimes worth watching, especially the tag-team events. :D

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never gotten the whole spectator sports thing... except sex. That's sometimes worth watching, especially the tag-team events. :D

In fairness, I don't think you can call curling a sport. It's more like a game. I'm pretty sure that if there are brooms involved it can't be a sport.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I find curling fascinating. The strategy and the demands of exact placement of the stones draw me in. I'm not sure I classify curling as an athletic sport either. It's more of a game to me. But I'm glad to see it in the Olympics. It's a lot more entertaining than ice dancing.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Curling is an excuse to wear your bowling clothes.

In fairness, I don't think you can call curling a sport. It's more like a game. I'm pretty sure that if there are brooms involved it can't be a sport.
Yes, makes me wonder why bowling isn't an Olympic sport.

Or jarts.

Reaction score
Mod,
Please move this thread to Office Party and give blacbird 5 demerits. Thank you in advance.

Shuffleboard on ice is not a sport. It's a leisure time activity for non-athletes and should have no part in the olympics. Like Tiddlywinks.

Thank you.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I just realized that by this standard Quiddich is not a sport. OMG. Everything is starting to unravel. Zounds.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Priene stole that expression off me... ;)

I was describing Winter Olympics minority sports as "pants" when you were just a slip of a lass.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mod,
Please move this thread to Office Party and give blacbird 5 demerits. Thank you in advance.

Shuffleboard on ice is not a sport. It's a leisure time activity for non-athletes and should have no part in the olympics. Like Tiddlywinks.

Thank you.

Moved. But there will be no demerits, even though I agree curling seems to be more of a game than a sport, and it's inclusion in the Olympics does puzzle me mightily. :D

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The REAL question though, which I'm shocked has been ignored so far is...WHY is SEX not an Olympic sport!?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I just realized that by this standard Quiddich is not a sport. OMG. Everything is starting to unravel. Zounds.
I think it's different if the brooms in question are flying. :D

I make fun of curling every Olympics - but mostly because my husband is fascinated by it as well. I don't get it.

I've watched it (to humor him), and I just. don't. get. it.

I'll take a pass and watch the sports part of the Olympics instead. ;)

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Curling? I like to use a larger iron for nice, loose waves, but usually I just use a straightener. Maybe if I buy enough Aqua Net I can make an Olympic team some day.

*opens bathroom closet to expose glimmering row of irons*

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Bowling IS a summer Olympics sport.

It is? Because I googled it and one source said there were no plans in the future to make this an Olympic sport. Maybe it was just an exhibition?

Figures though. IF synchronized swimming and ball room dancing can be Olympic sports...

...and then baseball eliminated...

anything is possible.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure it is really a sport, but I do know that I have been watching it. It takes some real skill and I would love to try it sometime. The team work looks cool.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow Ferret, I must have screwed that up. I would swear I watched a minute's worth of bowling at the Olympics. I thought it was really stupid. ETA: I even remember joking that the bowling athletes were the only Olympic athletes with beer bellies. I looked just now on the IOC Web site. Not one mention of bowling and there's no demonstration sports link to find out.

Maybe it was a demonstration sport and the IOC elected not to induct it into the regular series of sports. On the 2012 (London) Olympics Web site, it's NOT on the sports list, and I can't find any link to demonstration sports.

ETA: Back to our regularly scheduled curling debate.

Last edited:

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Brits have the oddest, coolest slang ever.

Definitely. I think they also tend to be about 10-15% funnier than the rest of the English speaking world.

I meant in general, not specifically the Olympics. I apologise. Although you can bet your arse the teams will be Scottish if/when they lose...

:roll: