Not open for further replies.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Roundabouts cause traffic tail backs as do traffic lights. I've done that journey a quite a few times and each time I have been stuck in a tail back at more than one RA.
Roundabouts are a lot more free flowing than traffic lights. A traffic light will stop you, even if there's no traffic you need to stop for. At a roundabout, you just keep going.
Anyway, we can agree to disagree and get back on topic if you like. ;)

So - are there any cheap B and Bs in MK?
No idea, I have a flat here so I've never needed one. :tongue

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Roundabouts are a lot more free flowing than traffic lights. A traffic light will stop you, even if there's no traffic you need to stop for. At a roundabout, you just keep going.
Anyway, we can agree to disagree and get back on topic if you like. ;)

No idea, I have a flat here so I've never needed one. :tongue

We can agree to disagree!:)

Can you check out B and Bs please? As you know the place and I don't - so IF the meet was in MK where would you suggest we had the meet and are there any cheap B and B's near that are cheap? B and Bs with car parks would be good. ta ever so

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Do you know of any cheap B and Bs in Manchester? Some of us may have to do a sleep over. Thought that may be true where ever we have a meet.

Similar to JimmyB27, I don't know much about accommodation as I have a house, and whenever I have visitors, they stay with me. I'm sure there are cheap B&Bs with parking and access to public transport (so as to get into the City Centre and be able to drink responsibly), but no particular ones I can personally recommend.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We can agree to disagree!:)

Can you check out B and Bs please? As you know the place and I don't - so IF the meet was in MK where would you suggest we had the meet and are there any cheap B and B's near that are cheap? B and Bs with car parks would be good. ta ever so
Let's get the area down first, eh? :)

I'm actually becoming less keen on doing it here to be honest - I like the idea of going somewhere else for a change of scenery.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! OK - take MK off the list - which leaves us with Manchester and - was it Norwich? Any other suggestions? We also have to decide on a date - I would go for next Spring - gives us a chance to save up the money and also means that we can plan well in advance. Other suggestions?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Norwich gets my vote. Went there a few days back and while I didn't get to see loads of it, what I did see was nice.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
We went to that pub for dinner. Nice place but the food was a bit ropey. Wasn't anywhere near hot enough so we had to send it back and then eat fast as we were getting the train back.

We were only in Norwich for a few hours - went there from the village with the scary church. Seems like a decent town in any case.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We went to that pub for dinner. Nice place but the food was a bit ropey. Wasn't anywhere near hot enough so we had to send it back and then eat fast as we were getting the train back.
Well, Wetherspoons are hardly renound for their quality...

The Ribs of Beef is the place to go.
CAMRA approved - gets my vote! :D

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
True, but the pub itself was decent. Seemed like a nice crowd especially when compared to one of two Wetherspoons in my town. It's a complete shithole.

The Queen of the Icen is in a regenerated Blairite enclave where young things go for fights and love bites on Friday nights. It's also where a lot of home fans go drinking before matches, and sometimes away fans too (I once saw Leeds' ICF getting lagered up at nine in the morning outside). And it's a Wetherspoons, which auomatically means there are several dozen better.

Like the Ribs, which is five mins from Delaneys. Which in my day was properly called the Festival House or the Wookiee Tavern after its clientelle. Not that I'm old or anything.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Still sounds nicer than my local Wetherspoons.

"I'll have six pints of Stella, four bottles of WKD, some crisps and then me and my five mates will beat up those blokes over there 'cause they don't speak English."

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
The Ribs of Beef is the place to go.

It looks good. It is a way from both the railway and bus stations.

Priene do you know if the car park in Pigg Lane is anything to do with the pub? I'd be happy to meet those coming into Norwich on the train and drive to the pub. The only reasons I suggested the Wetherspoons was never having a bad meal there and it is within walking distance of the station.

So, anyone up for Norwich at any point?

Yep! In the Spring?

Terrie do you know what date Eastercon is?

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
So... I've totally not been reading this thread and as I don't have internet at home and can't really go back in time to see what happened can anyone tell me...

Is the a UK meet? Are all UK AWers invited? Is it in Norwich then? Is that absolutely fixed? Because if not, I'd like to propose Oxford. Lovely town, lots of writerly atmosphere and also, I can afford to go there :D

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'll have to check with 'er indoors but the spring should be good for me. Norwich isn't far for me on the train.

I'll be the devilishly handsome one at the bar. Or the bald git glaring at people.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
So... I've totally not been reading this thread and as I don't have internet at home and can't really go back in time to see what happened can anyone tell me...

Is the a UK meet? Are all UK AWers invited? Is it in Norwich then? Is that absolutely fixed? Because if not, I'd like to propose Oxford. Lovely town, lots of writerly atmosphere and also, I can afford to go there :D

It's not set in stone on a date or Norwich. I'm up for talking about Oxford if that's easier for the majority.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
I'd like to add there are at least 3 cheap hostels within easy distance of the town centre, B&Bs etc. It's a small town with lots of transport options and touristy options for those non-meety times, heh.

Also, lots of publishing in the area, I could possibly convince one or two of the lecturers at Oxford Brookes University to come and maybe answer questions on Publishing. I studied Publishing there, you see?

I think some of them would be open to do that in exchange for alcohol.

Fun fact: we were the only department with a wine budget...

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
It's not set in stone on a date or Norwich. I'm up for talking about Oxford if that's easier for the majority.

Oxford would be good for me. The only place I've recently had a meal in there was the Randolph (spelling?) and the Ashmolean which has a good but crowded eaterie.

Thump - it is a UK meet.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oxford would be ideal for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.