• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Distributor] IPG / Independent Publishers Group / Small Press United

gekkardboy

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone has worked with Small Press United as their distributor? Considering an agreement with them, but wanted to see if anyone had personal experience with the. Thanks.

gekkardboy

Registered
Reaction score
Small Press United feedback

Anyone ever work with SPU for distribution? They have been very professional and straightforward thus far, but wanted to see if anyone had personal experience. Thanks.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Merging and moving to B&BC.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know about them? Worked with them?

http://smallpressunited.com/spuibpa.html

I've heard good things about them. But also know that they charge a commission price on profits based on book sales.

This article (http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/SelfPublishing_10.asp) says this:

Amazon gives 30% discounts for technical books? Well, they only do that for big publishers. Self-publishers don't get to particpate in this program. I sent them a few angry emails complaining that it's not possible for me to compete with other books that are priced the same as mine but marked down 30%. They say that they make it easy for self-publishers to sell their books, but then they screw you by not discounting your book. Since my book wasn't going to get the 30% discount I had to reduce the price so that it was more in line with the competition's books. This means that even though my book is still more expensive than the other books, my royalties would be reduced. Luckily, now that I use IPG as my distributor my books get the 30% discount. Now I will be able to price future book the same as others and get a better royalty.

To get your books into the bookstores and on the other online booksellers you need a distributor. The distributor gives you a sales person who goes to the bookstores and represents your self-published book to them (along with all the other books they have). For this service they take a little less than 30% of your royalty. I use Indpendent Publishers Group (IPG) because they have a good department for technical books.

~ However another question I have would be, how does amazon's cutting off of IPG's ebook sales on their site effect those publishers affiliated with the program.

Last edited:

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
Independant Publisher Group (merged into existing thread in BR&BC)

Anyone used them? or their Small Press United? would love to know. Are they good?

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread join. Thanks for the interesting article Nita, it looks like the books are published under "Dotnet Tech" through IPG.

At the bottom of the IPG home page "personalized service" is mentioned in their slogan. I never take anyones word for it straight off but looks interesting.

As for Amazon cutting off this would suggest not so (unless I'm mistaken, when did Amazon say this recently?)

IPG's distribution requires exclusivity (which I think is reasonable if they are going to market your wares, otherwise if you were multi-distributed it would mean they are marketing for free on the behalf of other distributors also).

So if Amazon cut off IPG that would annoy publishers more than the usual Amazon slap because IPG require exclusivity so you couldn't do Arron Sheppard plan B "IPG / CS".

Just saw the date on the original post, it rings a bell, I hadn't happened to have been thinking of the subject when I first came across it. IPG does look interesting, not too much info on their site about print costs and wholesale %'s.

Last edited: