Picture book question: is poetry considered fiction or NF?

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
I have a pb ms ready to submit to publishers, and I'm finding that some say "not accepting fiction at this time" but I'm not sure whether poetry falls under fiction or nonfiction.

These are publishers that publish poetry and/or nature picture books; mine is a nature poem that's followed by some factual info and references to books for further reading.

So where does my book fit?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like nonfiction or what is sometimes called informational picture books.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Non-fiction. I'm going by how libraries are organized. Picture books are their own section, of course, but poetry collections are shelved as non-fiction.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm - in a bookstore, I suppose I'd expect find poetry under "Poetry" - but maybe I hang out in the weird places.

Is the book primarily a picture book with poems, or a poetry book with illustrations? I'd imagine that might make a difference.

eta: the OP already answered this question. Going back to RTFP school.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
It's generally considered unpublishable.

OK, that sounds a little harsh. I do know of picture books in the vein you propose: Walker's Read and Wonder series have poetic texts and, running alongside, non-fiction content, for instance. And of course most good picture books are more akin to poems than anything else, even if they aren't in verse. But I really wouldn't expect to sell this as poetry; I'd suggest simply presenting it as a picture book text, and don't worry about categorizing it as fiction or non-fiction or anything else. Let it speak for itself.

Last edited:

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
Thanks for the replies, they seem to be in line with how I am approaching it. It's not a rhyming poem, this only came up because one publisher I was interested in said they are not accepting fiction picture book submissions, but are still open to NF.

It's actually depressing to find how many publishers that I submitted a pict bk to about 5 years ago are not currently looking at unagented material, or beloved imprints that have been absorbed or otherwise disappeared. I hope that book I submitted years ago wasn't the last straw for them and that this is only coincidental . . .;)